FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Sleeper Service

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 24, 2015 11:04 am

Klokinator wrote:I had a question about retroactive mods. I have the Non-EL enemy mod currently being used, if I repatch and leave it out, will enemies on my current run be able to use the randomized weapons, or will I have to restart a new run?

I'm not entirely sure about that, the change might only take effect after jumping to a new sector.
Epsilon Carinae

Re: Artillery

Postby Epsilon Carinae » Mon May 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Wait, wait, wait...
Biohazard063 wrote:Enemies can probably still have it.

Enemies can have artillery!?
I am an innocent ant in an unforgiving world.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Epsilon Carinae wrote:Wait, wait, wait...
Enemies can have artillery!?

Yup. And sometimes if you're unlucky, it gets to fire. I think an Engi ship once stunned me with an ion blast.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Tue May 26, 2015 9:39 am

So, a thought of mine. I think that the augment which starts your weapons as autocharged needs to be nerfed. (The name evades me, I'm sure you know what it is). Everytime I see it, I get it. Not only is it stupidly overpowered as even the longest cooldown on a weapon means nothing (45 seconds? Big deal, I get a free shot instantly!), it also allows you to instantly wipe out any enemy not titled Final Boss. Here's one way:

-Send a hacking drone towards the enemy cockpit or their engine room.
-Once it hits, activate it.
-Send all your missiles at the enemy shields.
-Now hit their weapons.
-Congratulations, they're defenseless. Now murder them.

Even defense drones on an enemy's side don't matter. Hacking the right system and then pummeling their ship means you always win before they even fire a shot.

So how about this, when the aug is equipped, the player loses -2 power. (It costs more power to run this incredible system, right?) That should be pretty balanced, yeah? -2 power is nothing to scoff at!

And on another note, I kinda think that costs for lategame weapons/drones and crew members should be higher in the infinite version. Seems kinda weird when excluding ship systems like cloaking, you never pay more than 200 scrap for anything.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 26, 2015 9:59 am

Klokinator wrote:So how about this, when the aug is equipped, the player loses -2 power. (It costs more power to run this incredible system, right?) That should be pretty balanced, yeah? -2 power is nothing to scoff at!

The Weapons Pre-Igniter is a vanilla augment. You can't change how it works. Not even via events. Or you could try, but it'll have to be run on the honour system.

And on another note, I kinda think that costs for lategame weapons/drones and crew members should be higher in the infinite version. Seems kinda weird when excluding ship systems like cloaking, you never pay more than 200 scrap for anything.

If you increase the price of weapons and drones in Infinite, the sell price goes up as well. So if you find a weapon floating space, you can get more money by selling it.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 am

Damn, that sucks on both counts. Thanks for the answer though. I could just pretend to lose 2 power, but it's just not as immersive that way.

As for people browsing this thread, what's your favorite weapons/drones/systems/officer complements?

I like having 6 zoltans, one slug, and one of any other race, depending on the situation.

-Zoltans give me +6 power. (Generally 4 in the shield room and one for the engine and weapons rooms.)
-Slug goes in the scanner room, basically gives me level 5 scanners that way and helps if I go into a nebula..
-Depending on what build of ship I'm running, the final crewman is up for debate. Since you can't boost doors past a final level, having an engi to repair stuff is great! But having a mantis to repel invaders is also great! But sucking all oxygen from every room not manned by a zoltan/slug and then making a hologram your 8th crewman means you can repair without oxygen, your ship innately repels invaders, and fire means nothing to you!
-Humans suck. They really need a buff. Maybe they can gain skills 100% faster, instead of just 'slightly' faster? Maybe instead of gaining skills, they increase any manned rooms' efficiency by an additional 5% if they've mastered the skill for that level? 5% faster shield recharge/weapon recharge etc?

My ideal build for a ship is generally weapons, drones, artillery (Yay for mod that fixes the saving bug!), cloaking, and I always use a medbay if I have the engi mod that makes crewman heal while medbay is powered, but for any other ship it's always clonebay + clonebay augment.

Speaking of augments, if my ship uses drones at any decent rate, drone recycler is awesome, and so is the pre-ignition weapons augment, for obvious reasons. Honestly, I wish there was a 4th augment slot you could earn somehow, maybe via a rare event. Having three is so limiting :(
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 27, 2015 4:00 am

Klokinator wrote:
As for people browsing this thread, what's your favorite weapons/drones/systems/officer complements?

I like having 6 zoltans, one slug, and one of any other race, depending on the situation.

Four Zoltan (shield room), Two Mantis/Lanius (Boarding) and a Slug and an Engi. Slug for those random events to prevent someone going traitor and usually the pilot and the Engi because Engies. If the Mantis is Wreck-It-Ralph, the Engies are Fix-It-Felix. Also, in case an event requires an Engi, they're there.

Also, chances are two of my Zoltan will be Pamuk and Kasimir. Enlightening isn't it?

Speaking of augments, if my ship uses drones at any decent rate, drone recycler is awesome, and so is the pre-ignition weapons augment, for obvious reasons. Honestly, I wish there was a 4th augment slot you could earn somehow, maybe via a rare event. Having three is so limiting :(

I agree, but you can't change the way augments work.
My best augment loadout for CE though would be:

Recon Teleport
Teleport Disruptor (this will be your god especially in CE Infinite when you get boarded the 4th time in a row)
Shield Bypass

Add a Clone Bay and you have insurance in case you lose someone and your teleport can't bring them back.
If teleporters are not an option then:

Disruptor
Pre-Igniter
Reloader.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Wed May 27, 2015 5:22 am

stylesrj wrote:Add a Clone Bay and you have insurance in case you lose someone and your teleport can't bring them back.
If teleporters are not an option then:

Disruptor
Pre-Igniter
Reloader.

Hmm, I don't know why, but teleporter +clonebay never occurred to me.

I guess you could use:

Teleporter + Reconstructive Teleport augment
Clonebay + The augment for preventing crew members from being lost when it's destroyed

To make invincible boarding parties?

In any case, I feel like killing enemy ships with a boarding party should yield better rewards. It feels kinda underwhelming when I'm getting the same scrap and items for sending my precious crew members into dangerous territory, and not only that but it also takes way longer to kill a ship off with a boarding party than it does with weapons or drones.

Or maybe a boarding party could have a higher change of finding drones/weapons? I mean, if you kill the enemy crew and take the ship intact, why not get better rewards seeing as how nothing should be destroyed on the ship?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 27, 2015 7:32 am

Klokinator wrote:
I guess you could use:

Teleporter + Reconstructive Teleport augment
Clonebay + The augment for preventing crew members from being lost when it's destroyed

To make invincible boarding parties?

DNA bank isn't that great if you just be more careful with your boarders, but I guess it's insurance in case you lose both the teleport and Clone Bay

In any case, I feel like killing enemy ships with a boarding party should yield better rewards. It feels kinda underwhelming when I'm getting the same scrap and items for sending my precious crew members into dangerous territory, and not only that but it also takes way longer to kill a ship off with a boarding party than it does with weapons or drones.

Clearing out enemy crew does yield you higher rewards. Most ships upon destruction are Low/Medium Rewards. Boarding gives you Medium/High rewards.

Also, I found that boarding can be quicker than your guns if the enemy has high shields and evasion. Boarders don't miss.

Or maybe a boarding party could have a higher change of finding drones/weapons? I mean, if you kill the enemy crew and take the ship intact, why not get better rewards seeing as how nothing should be destroyed on the ship?

Well if the enemy ship is carrying cargo, you're more likely to retrieve it intact.
Klokinator

Postby Klokinator » Wed May 27, 2015 9:05 am

stylesrj wrote:
Well if the enemy ship is carrying cargo, you're more likely to retrieve it intact.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the game, but I take this to mean that certain ships will randomly have a piece of equipment on-board? I guess that actually makes me feel better. Now that I know boarding parties increase the rewards, I may use them more often!

By the way, do fire/suffocation achieve the same results, or are boarding parties unique? Like, is there a tag ingame for "If player crew is onboard the enemy ship when their crew die, gain extra rewards", or is it more "If player kills enemy crew with ship intact either with boarding crew, fire, or suffocation, gain increased rewards"?