FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 am

Long Range Beacons are where ships gather the most and are likely to sell goods that help out ships, compared to say an empty binary star system or a place littered with distant settlements who don't even give you the time of day.

Heck the store could even be one of those ships passing through (some Store events are ships looking to offload equipment) and wants to keep their market on the down-low, hence the need for the Caster.

Of course, since you are broadcasting a signal, someone might catch it and decide you're a target or lawbreaker. That way you can't just abuse it in Infinite Space where you don't even get a clear beacon 2/3 of the time.

The chances of finding a store at entry beacons could even be worse if you're broadcasting into a nebula.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:58 pm

Repost from Redit, on the topic of payed steam workshop content:

Sleeper Service wrote:Interesting developments. This will most likely never matter for FTL though, as there are no plans for full moding support or even a steam workshop. And I sad it before: CE will always be free to use, so even if there would be a workshop I wouldn't put CE behind a paywall. If anyone absolutely wants to reward my contributions to the mod, then you can already do so through my patreon.

I agree that there are potentially a lot of issues connected to payed workshop content. Whatever one thinks about TB, I'd say he made some good points in a vid on the topic. What I find especially disgusting is that people already start to upload other peoples mods under their own name on the workshop for profit, basically stealing and exploring other peoples work.

I also agree that valve appears a little greedy in this whole endeavor. Then again we don't know what kind of deal they made with Bethesda, maybe Valve just takes it's usual 30%-40% cut and Bethesda gets the rest, who knows?

A point that hasn't been discussed a lot yet is weather modding is really considered "work" by the author or user. I think many people initially mod for fun and I believe the most successful modding project originate from a situation where people where just totally enthralled by extending a game they truly love. Then again, that does not mean that modding could not be monetized. I love patreon for this purpose, because its based on voluntary decisions and trust. It would be sweet to be able to live from creating game content, but I'd stick with allowing people to voluntarily donate for my "work" any time.

But in the end we don't really have a say in this. There might be a strong backlash and steam might pull back, or it might not. I guess users who think this pay-wall system is dumb can boycott it, youtube celebs can speak out against it, but steam effectively holds a monopoly and they could go through with this if they want.

But hey wane get full out sociological on this? Heres the catch: what we see here isn't even that new. This is a phenomenon that already affects society as a whole - peoples live as a whole being more and more governed by principles of profit maximization. The lines between work and freetime becoming burred. This doesn't just means working more overtime, answering company mails on holiday or having a corporate culture that makes you office look like your living room. It also includes the monetization of hobbies. For gaming, payed steam workshop content what dawanda is for handycraft. When I was 16 I made campaigns for warcraft 3 for fun. But when my kid makes campaigns for warcraft 4 it might consider getting payed for them? One can find this amazing, weird or scarry, but this seems to be the way the world is going.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:32 am

As far as payed content goes, my stance is simple.
The way I see people making paid content will often see their mods go unused, maybe tested for free but seldom purchased. Just because as the gamer you'll always have that nagging sensation over your head of "I paid for this game, why should I pay more for this (small addition). This guy is making money of off a game created by others." As a YT LP'er I'm probably coming over as a bit of a hypocrite here, I know, but my vids are free to watch.
I'd say they should make it optional. You can get the mod for free and if you feel like you really enjoy it, you might be more inclined to give some money because it won't feel as paying but more as donating for a job well done.

That and if what I heard is true, shame on you Valve, taking 75% of the cut leaving only 25% for the creator...
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:32 am

So here's a question I'm probably better of just posting here.

I'm once again busy creating a new ship with a unique weapon to it. This one based of off the heal bomb.
How do I make it available in the CE blue options without adding the events to the standard AE versions?
I know how to add blue options since I did it with the Arc Beam on the Nebula Drifter, but those already were events available in AE...
I'm thinking that adding the edited events in an events.xml.append would add them to the AE game as well and would like to avoid it.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:55 am

Biohazard063 wrote:{Something about events}

You can add your blue options to CE-specific events and it will have no effect on AE.

Events don't show up in the game just because they are in an events.xml file. Code in the sector_data.xml file has to ask for the events.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:09 am

Nice, thanks for the quick reply.
I was wondering because I thought the code would say something like :"Load a random event from the events.xml"
Channel link
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:12 am

Modifying the events works, but just adding you bomb to the list they check might be faster. CE uses the WEAPONS_BOMB_HEAL list in autoBlueprints.xml for checking which weapons are heal bombs. Simply add your own autoBlueprints.xml.append file with the original CE list and your own heal bomb added. That will have your heal bomb trigger any CE events that require heal bombs.
redlerred7

Postby redlerred7 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:17 pm

So, I may have run into problem.

I'm at sector 2 in CE-Infinite with the Adjudicator. Did a couple of Deep space sectors in between. I just defeated a ship at an empty beacon with the only hazard being the PDS taking aim at me. Whenever I try to jump out, the game freezes.

I had Twinge's balance mod and Better Planets and Backgrounds loaded before CE (I loaded the BPaB Compatibility after CE). I had Endless Loot and the Artillery Fix loaded as well. No other mods

I uploaded the save file.

Hope this helps with bug fixes. I'm gonna reset and give the run another go
Ari

Postby Ari » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:10 am

Hello folks. I've just installed this mod and I must say I am enjoying it's content a lot. However playing it has been a stability hell.

I can live with occasional crashes on jump, that get won't repeat itself on reload. However, so far in my multiple playtroughs I've always run into weird freeze loop (sector 1-2) . The game freezes for some time, unfreezes for brief period and then freezes again. Reloading doesn't help, nor does jumping into the different sectors - the freeze will always occur.

I've never had any issues with the vanilla game. Playing on hard difficulty AE content on. I am using the GoG 1.5.13 version, resintalled the mod several times and reinstalled the game to no avail. I am still using my old profile as i don't want to lose my unlocked ships.

I am quite desperate. I wish to enjoy the mod, but the current state is unplayable. Please help.

Edit: I am using just the base mod, that is CE resource pack and FTL Captain's edition. The operating system is Windows 7 64 bit.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:51 am

I can't really reproduce you problem, stability seems to be ok for most users. You can try re-downloading the mod files. Making more memory available to FTL might also help. It might be a performance issue.