FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
User avatar
NarnKar
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: this forum
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby NarnKar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:25 am

This is a bit of a balance question, but why did you add the hyperspace events at the end of each sector? I personally hate them and I cannot imagine anyone loving them. It causes so many more fuel shortages than normal FTL, and it causes them quite artificially as well.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:57 am

NarnKar wrote:This is a bit of a balance question, but why did you add the hyperspace events at the end of each sector? I personally hate them and I cannot imagine anyone loving them. It causes so many more fuel shortages than normal FTL, and it causes them quite artificially as well.


Well it's supposed to be a jump from one sector to another. Why wouldn't it be grand and require some planning with the fuel?

Plus it gives use to those useless augments like FTL navigation and FTL charge booster.

But I do somewhat agree that it needs to be changed. There shouldn't be an "emergency fuel" option. Your standard jump should cost 1 fuel for no benefit. If you dump a little extra, you get more time before the Rebels arrive.
User avatar
NarnKar
Posts: 778
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: this forum
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby NarnKar » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:24 am

Precisely--you shouldn't have to dump extra, just to get the minimum desired effect (standard fuel).
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:29 am

NarnKar wrote:Precisely--you shouldn't have to dump extra, just to get the minimum desired effect (standard fuel).


Then again, if you dump extra fuel to get more jumps per sector, it might upset the game balance or something. I dunno but someone will complain about it making the game too easy and use precise calculations as to why.

But we can't just get rid of Hyperspace altogether though - It looks really freaking cool!
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:23 am

NarnKar wrote:I personally hate them and I cannot imagine anyone loving them.

stylesrj wrote:But we can't just get rid of Hyperspace altogether though - It looks really freaking cool!

Took roughly two hours for someone to show up that kind of loves them. :D

The goal with this was to make fuel overall more useful and force the player to economize and think about fuel more. You can call this artificial but it really just depends weather you can take anything the mod adds as granted. Using the standard option only costs you 12 additional fuel over the course of the entire run, I find that pretty manageable. Right now hyperspacing adds an overall disadvantage (emergency option, standard option), a reward for economizing fuel well (the lvl 4 engines 3 fuel option) as well as some high-risk high-reward late game choices (the lvl 6 and lvl 8 options).

I did not intended this events to just hand out additional positive options. Making the game harsher is part of the premise of the mod and the cost of 12 additional fuel it can basically be overcome by buying fuel at two more stores throughout the game. Again, I find thats a good middle ground which creates a need to monitor fuel more closely without totally starving the player of it.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:57 am

Sometimes though you get a string of bad luck, especially since the enemy ships are 1000% tougher even in Sector 1 (I'm talking to you, burst beam laser that does 2HP damage per shot! I don't have two shield layers yet!)

I just think there doesn't need to be an emergency fuel option. If you want to risk more fuel for greater reward, it should be an option, not a forced choice.
Russian Rockman
Posts: 819
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:43 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:23 am

I at first did not like the hyperspace events, but now I really like them in CE. Fuel wasn't very important in the original game, I would hardly ever think about buying it from a store, so by having to use 1 extra each sector jump it requires you to manage another resource carefully like Sleeper explained. I don't think 1 extra jump per sector makes the game to easy either, since CE is already very punishing and rarely do I have enough fuel to take that option every time. The only thing I wish was different about hyperspace jumps was that the image showed the stars traveling "across" your screen, not "into" the screen, you know what I mean? It looks like the ship was traveling sideways. But maybe it just turned after the jump and FTL isn't really a 2D world...
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:28 pm

I was just thinking, going from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=27201

We're all discussing about a Hyperwave Caster and Captain's Edition and I thought it'd be appropriate to discuss it here.

So how about a new augment:

Hyperwave Caster - Only works at Start Beacon. Has a chance to summon a store.

Now that sounds overpowered if say you're playing Infinite but a clear beacon there only occurs 33% of the time. The augment could have a 50% chance of summoning a store or a 50% chance to summon an angry Mantis ship who answered it.

Either that or perhaps certain piracy items could also be used to try and summon a store. Perhaps if you broadcast a frequency out into space with your requisition license, a black market opens up or the Zoltan/Rebel/Rock authorities come bearing down on your butt. So 25% chance of a store, 50% chance of an encounter and 25% of an encounter with up to 6 boarders to discourage abuse...
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:04 pm

I was considering something like a "long range communicator" a while ago. The basic Idea was to have several frequencies (trade, black-market, civilian, merc) to tune into, with stores, trades, crew hires and various random events that can occur. I didn't get around doing this because it would be one of these events that require a ton of unique events to be viable, even more than the bounty hunter database. But if would basically come down to what you suggested, just that it would have been available at any beacon. It might be a little iffy to find lore explanations for why the caster only works on entry beacons...
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.274/Inf 1.267/EL 1.266

Postby stylesrj » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:I was considering something like a "long range communicator" a while ago. The basic Idea was to have several frequencies (trade, black-market, civilian, merc) to tune into, with stores, trades, crew hires and various random events that can occur. I didn't get around doing this because it would be one of these events that require a ton of unique events to be viable, even more than the bounty hunter database. But if would basically come down to what you suggested, just that it would have been available at any beacon. It might be a little iffy to find lore explanations for why the caster only works on entry beacons...


The same way a bounty hunter database only works there. Balance reasons.

Or perhaps the best traffic comes from those places.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests