[SHIP] Aegir Kronos

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: [SHIP] Aegir Kronos

Postby NarnKar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:30 pm

Question for the more experienced modders out there:

So I modified the system caps on the Artillery system. Because this ship has double artillery, I wanted to prevent people from wasting their money on upgrades that don't work--so I removed the ability to upgrade, essentially. I put <startpower> and <maxpower> at 1.

My question is, will this affect the Flagship's artillery? I recall on the Fishhook thread, stylesrj said that increasing the maxpower cap would affect the Flagship's artillery, making it fire instantly. So would limiting maxpower to 1 limit the Flagship's artillery as well?
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:14 pm

If only. The Flagship is really strange, and I don't believe it does.

Might want to move this to the Mod Development forums.
Squishybrick

Postby Squishybrick » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:27 am

Here's my personal take on this ship, having played it myself.

I love the ship design~.

Similar to the AAI Ship, the "Infinite Drone Assault" tactic makes for entertaining and satisfying gameplay, as you hand pick your dream
team of drones to swarm the enemy like giant laser-spewing bees while you sit back and carefully dodge any incoming fire.

I only have one gripe, which stuck with me through the whole play through. Reducing the weapon slots to two for some reason removed the
auto-fire button, and the keybind for it doesn't work, so if I ever used my weapons (which thankfully was rare), I'd have to hold ctrl
every time I target to get them to auto fire. I don't know if you can somehow mod the button back in, but that was my only problem.

Unlike the AAI Ship though, boarding attempts were extremely stressful, as only having a starting crew of three meant delicately balancing
who fought who, and when it was time to just let the enemy tear through our systems while we quietly snuck behind them to keep the oxygen and
medbay repaired. I had that original crew of three for 7 sectors before getting new crew, and that motley little trio killed a LOT of bad guys.

It was just my luck that every time we were boarded, they ALWAYS seemed to teleport right in the oxygen, and take that out first. I actually
died my first run because I made the rookie mistake of trying to suffocate crystal men while they destroyed my medbay and oxygen, leaving
half my ship vacuumed with my crew nearly dead anyway. Stupid crystal bros and their ridiculous suffocation resistance.

By the end of it I had 4 2-power drones, and 2 2-power 2-shot pew pews, with 3 shield bubbles (I bought shields) and 3 power to the engines,
with 3 or so to stealth.

The flagship got absolutely destroyed by my drone swarm, which as always was satisfying to watch.

Looking back, I probably could've done all that without shields, and used the extra power on even more stealth and slightly beefier weapons,
and still achieved roughly the same effect. I mean, with 25 seconds of stealth and 4 2-core-damage drones, even a 4-shield enemy is a flaming
pile of wreckage before your stealth runs dry.

I'm not sure this ship needs balancing.. Adding shields to it definitely tipped it over into being overpowered, but I'm not sure how I was
able to buy shields in the first place.. In my first play through, it wouldn't let me, but the second one let me just fine.

Without shields, I'd definitely have invested in at least one anti-projectile drone, and dumped a lot of power into engines, so making the
engines cheaper to upgrade was a good idea, as well as buffing up stealth. But when you give me the infinite-drone strat, I'm always gonna
opt for the "kill them before they can even hurt you" tactic, over methodically outlasting them.