Having problem on my Toshiba Satellite C660

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
DervishMarauder

Having problem on my Toshiba Satellite C660

Postby DervishMarauder » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:25 pm

Sigh, been waiting to get this game since i first laid eyes on it and was over the moon when i traded for it.
But alas my laptop seems to truly hate awesome games and refuses to play FTL, my Satellite did the same thing for awesome naughts which again i had been waiting for a long time to get.
These games are not graphic incentive but my friends suggest that its my 'Intel(R) HD Graphics Family' that is the bane of my life, the full stats of my Satellite can be found at the bottom.
Okay, when i start FTL the game launches to a loading screen, the bar fills up causing it to crash making my whole laptop stop responding, I've tried waiting it out but FTL just gets shut down in the end, i have reinstalled the game, checked the install, updated my drivers and it still refuses to work!
This is seriously starting to make my blood boil, Not being able to play FTL or awesome naughts is just a huge pain.
If anybody has a fix or can tell me why it won't work please reply, don't tell me to 'buy a new laptop/pc' i just plain don't have the money or time to and i would just like to play FTL sooner rather than later.

My model of Satellite: http://www.bitdynasty.com/product-speci ... -shopping/
Matthew
Site Admin

Re: Having problem on my Toshiba Satellite C660

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:59 am

You're not alone. From what I can find, Toshiba really doesn't like to upgrade its drivers and often includes really old ones with their laptops.

Check out this GetSatisfaction post. Hypocee, another user, made a suggestion at the very bottom just recently but the OP hasn't had a chance to try it out yet.

https://getsatisfaction.com/ftlgame/top ... st_startup

Watch there for solutions but I'll also check back in here if we find anything.

Sorry for your troubles.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
TJJ

Postby TJJ » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:03 am

Have you tried the latest drivers direct from Intel?

As your CPU (b800) is a sandy bridge core, the driver pack you want is this.
Make Elite IV:Dangerous happen!
Pledge your backing at KICKSTARTER here!

Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:16 pm

I'm also running FTL on a toshiba satellite, (L750) and it seems to run fine, except for a minor problem about the mouse lagging, which is more of annoyance. Toshiba haven't updated any of the drivers for the last year.

Comparison stats; 2.2ghz dual core (B960), 4GB ram, Intel HD.

Just for interest, do you know if you can play onlive? I played the demo of FTL on there and it seemed smooth, don't know if justin and matt are planning to put it on there though.
absoluthysterics

Postby absoluthysterics » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:42 am

Hi!

I don't have a Toshiba but I did a post before about my game crashing too probably because of my Intel graphics as well. After playing only once a month (game kept crashing and I got frustrated too) after I got the game I figured out some settings that work for me (and hopefully you too)

in game options:
-fullscreen off
-v-sync on
-dynamic backgrounds disabled

computer options:
-intel control center (ctrl+alt+f12) - v-sync (vertical sync) on
-disable windows aero - I change my theme to be windows classic
-close down background processes (ex: I disable dropbox, xbox controller drivers, etc - since i'll just be playing the game)
-have your laptop plugged in (don't just use your battery, it drains mine super fast)
-and have the highest performing power plan
-download and use BES - http://mion.faireal.net/BES/ and set target to FTL at (-)25%

it seems like a lot but that's the only way I can play the game... hopefully this helps you! :D
well... if you're not using windows 7 then forget I said anything lol