[SHIP] The Lancer (Ramming Cruiser)

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

[SHIP] The Lancer (Ramming Cruiser)

Postby NarnKar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:36 pm

(Rock Ship): "Ram the bastards."

The Lancer
"A customized Rock ship, designed for ramming other ships and tearing holes in enemy hulls."

Exactly what it says on the tin. People wanted Rock ramming cruisers, and I was happy to oblige. Its artillery system "fires" three "bombs", which simulate three impacts of the cruiser into the enemy hull. Each impact does 2 damage, with a guaranteed breach chance. No missiles are consumed in the process.

The Ramjet Artillery firing

Download v2.0 here.

Videos:
Vanguard of Valor Twitch Stream

Attributions:
-The ship hull was assembled from vanilla FTL parts.
-The Ramjet Artillery is my own (crappy) art.
-Mod assembled in kartoFlane's Superluminal Ship Editor v2.06b.
-Mod tested in TaxiService's MTE.

Changelog:

v2.0:
-added metadata, cloaking, gibs
-swapped teleporter, door positions (no four man boarding for you)
-recolored gibs, so that the fact it's a splice is less obvious (according to some)

v1.0:
-Original forum upload
Last edited by NarnKar on Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.
NewAgeOfPower

Re: [SHIP] The Lancer (Ramming Cruiser)

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:14 pm

NarnKar wrote:Ramming speed!

Exactly what it says on the tin. People wanted Rock ramming cruisers, and I was happy to oblige. Its artillery system "fires" three "bombs", which simulate three impacts of the cruiser into the enemy hull. Each impact does 2 damage, with a guaranteed breach chance. No missiles are consumed in the process.

You must get the Valor guy to make a video of this. Although, you could have used some color modification to make the splices less obvious...
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:20 pm

Every time I color mod, it ends up looking ridiculously greyscale. And I wanted the Rock-ness of this cruiser to be easily apparent; it's sort of like sticking different parts onto the same base Bulwark chassis, to create the customization.
Maybe I could've recolored the wings more, but...naaaah, I don't have time for that.

While I certainly would love for VoV to do videos of this mod (or any of my others), I don't think he will, and I think it'd be too crass of me to ask him.
Omen267901

Postby Omen267901 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:47 pm

NarnKar wrote:Every time I color mod, it ends up looking ridiculously greyscale. And I wanted the Rock-ness of this cruiser to be easily apparent; it's sort of like sticking different parts onto the same base Bulwark chassis, to create the customization.
Maybe I could've recolored the wings more, but...naaaah, I don't have time for that.

While I certainly would love for VoV to do videos of this mod (or any of my others), I don't think he will, and I think it'd be too crass of me to ask him.

Yeah. If I remember correctly in one of his streams he said he just doesn't enjoy FTL anymore. Said with the limited modding, and no updates, it just got repetitive.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:54 pm

Omen267901 wrote:Yeah. If I remember correctly in one of his streams he said he just doesn't enjoy FTL anymore. Said with the limited modding, and no updates, it just got repetitive.

I love VoV's lets plays. It's a shame he only gave Captain's Edition a try once. There is so much content in there that it would never get boring. And Sleeper Service is always adding new stuff. :(

I don't think you should ask him to do a lets play of your mod, but we should all "encourage" him to try out some of the new mods for FTL. Tell him there is a lot of new stuff that makes the game different from vanilla.

He's doing his 3rd run of XCOM right now, he really should give FTL another try too.
rannl

Postby rannl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:26 pm

Nicely done NK. Love the concept :)
Estel

Postby Estel » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:57 am

Very nice ship idea! Instant download, looks like some interesting play style, even if only lore-wise. I strongly encourage you to do those gibs and cloak images, so it could become complete.

As for re-coloring - I think that those Stealth-C wings are sticking out the most, and could get painted to look like rest of rock ship. The forward, metallic blades are looking OK already.

/Estel
Gyrfalcon

Postby Gyrfalcon » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:00 am

Estel wrote:As for re-coloring - I think that those Stealth-C wings are sticking out the most, and could get painted to look like rest of rock ship. The forward, metallic blades are looking OK already.
/Estel

I agree, other than the Stealth-C wings, the ship looks great!

Also, if you know some event-coding, you could also throw in a couple blue-options similar to the one from the game (e.g. Ram the bastards.) :D

That would make this perfect.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:46 am

Gyrfalcon wrote:I agree, other than the Stealth-C wings, the ship looks great!

Lots of feedback on the Stealth C wings. I'll be sure to swap 'em out eventually, hehe.

Gyrfalcon wrote:Also, if you know some event-coding, you could also throw in a couple blue-options similar to the one from the game (e.g. Ram the bastards.) :D

The trouble with this is that, simply, there's no way I could make it compatible with all of CE's gazillion events. And I like my mods to have CE integratability.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:52 am

NarnKar wrote:The trouble with this is that, simply, there's no way I could make it compatible with all of CE's gazillion events. And I like my mods to have CE integratability.

+1 here. While blue events would be cool, compatibility with CE is a must, and we already can "ram the bastards!" in 80% other situations :D (fights).