Needs FTL Multiplayer

General discussion about the game.
bushmaster7.5

Needs FTL Multiplayer

Postby bushmaster7.5 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:16 pm

In order to wreck as many friendships as possible, I'd so like to see FTL having a multiplayer mode, whereas two players have their mice on the screen at the same time, controlling the same ship. I think I could cry tears of joy if I saw this. Both player has equal control of the ship, meaning it's just as you would play in singleplayer but with a friend, and on the same exact ship, playing through the sectors together.

Goals: Destroy a friendship
or,
Develop compatibility! Woo!
stylesrj

Re: Needs FTL Multiplayer

Postby stylesrj » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:23 pm

I'd so like to see FTL having a multiplayer mode, whereas two players have their mice on the screen at the same time, controlling the same ship.

Isn't that a hardware issue then? Is it possible for any computer to have two cursors on the same screen and if so, is FTL capable of receiving input from two cursors at the same time? Is any computer capable?

Because if it is, it could work that way.
bushmaster7.5

Postby bushmaster7.5 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:12 am

stylesrj wrote:
I'd so like to see FTL having a multiplayer mode, whereas two players have their mice on the screen at the same time, controlling the same ship.

Isn't that a hardware issue then? Is it possible for any computer to have two cursors on the same screen and if so, is FTL capable of receiving input from two cursors at the same time? Is any computer capable?

Because if it is, it could work that way.

No idea, but that would be fuckin' cool. Modders need to get on that.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:55 am

No idea, but that would be fuckin' cool. Modders need to get on that.

You mean computer modders. It's a matter of the OS/computer hardware being able to support two or more mice.
tboss

Postby tboss » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:15 pm

would be interesting, though proubly easier doing with to computers of lan or the internet.

id like it more if the game let you compete or do other multiplayer with people online. Even if its just the races.
MoblinMan

Postby MoblinMan » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:21 pm

You should check out Spacewrights. It looks like FTL with multiplayer. There's pics of that game with multiplayer

Spacewrights: http://spacewrights.com/

I posted that game in the indie games forum but I think it's what you're looking for too.

And I think FTL multiplayer would be second to Mario Party in friendship destroying games.
Smauler

Postby Smauler » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:01 am

Computers can already support multiple mice (I had three connected to my PC recently trying to diagnose some mouse problems, and they all worked at the same time). Having two people trying to control the same pointer in FTL sounds like a vision of hell to me.

Multiple pointers is another matter, but it is not that difficult in theory. However, I assume FTL uses native system calls for the mouse inputs which are (essentially) free to use, and do not allow for 2 pointers. To execute a system that does, they'd either have to write their own mouse software, or buy it in from one of the few niche places that do provide this.

They're not going to do either of those things any time soon.
Smauler

Postby Smauler » Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:09 am

OMG : http://www.microsoft.com/multipoint/mouse-sdk/developer.aspx

This supports 25 mice connected to a single computer. I think I would actually pay money to watch a game of FTL with twenty five people trying to control it.
Usul

Postby Usul » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:23 pm

OK, I know this thread has been dead for some time, but I just wanted to point out to you youngsters: One could play "The settlers" 1 and 2 with two mice on the same computer. So of course its possible.

(Probably not a good idea for FTL, but thats another story.)
luke45

Postby luke45 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:58 am

i think ftl multiplayer should be where u go find your friend and blow his ship up