Questions here: an inquiry thread! [Updated Sep 15th, 2014]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
NarnKar

Re: Questions here: an inquiry thread!

Postby NarnKar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:16 am

I'm back again, and this time I tried to put shield piercing on an anti-bio beam. It failed, and the beam hit the shield bubble and failed to pierce.

Is this a hardcode thing? I'm fairly sure my code is sound...
RAD-82

Postby RAD-82 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:38 am

Shield piercing with non-hull damaging beams is weird. If you want to pierce one shield layer, you need <sp>2</sp>.

That's all I know. I don't know if you need <sp>3</sp> or <sp>4</sp> to pierce two shield layers, but I should learn this sometime in the future since I'm going to make a stun beam that pierces shields, so I'll need to do testing sometime.

Don't wait for me to get you the answer, since I'm not very active right now with the FTL modding.
Junkyard has FTL mods, mostly ships and a few other things.
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 am

Thank you for responding! One shield layer is enough for my weapon, so <sp>2</sp> is perfectly fine. You're right though--that's very weird.
cannonfodder

Postby cannonfodder » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:52 am

Hello, im new to the modding scene, I made a custom ship in superluminal, and then tried to patch it in with SMM, but when i tried to run the game it uses the normal FTL, not advanced edition... so instead of C://program files x86//gog.com//faster than light//resources (paths NOT EXACT im in a hurry here) i directed it to C://gog games//FTL advanced edition//resources, and it opened the Advanced Edition when i clicked Run Game after patching it. But after it loads it then crashes, with this error message (minus quotes):

'Assertion failed!

Program: C:\GOG Games\FTL Advanded Edition\FTLGame.exe
File: src/rapidxml/rapidxml.hpp
Line: 1383

Expression: text

For more information on how your program can cause an assertion failure, see the Visual C++ documentation on asserts

(Press retry to debug the applicaiton - JIT must be enabled)'

and then it gives me three options, Abort, Retry, and Ignore. All of them do absolutely nothing except close FTL.

I then reinstalled the latest version from GOG into Program Files instead of just in my C: drive, but that didnt help either. Also, now when i try to patch it back to vanilla and run it, it gives the same error. HELP!!!

EDIT: NEVER MIND I FIXED IT!!! The backups of resource.dat that SMM makes got corrupted. I deleted the backups and reinstalled FTL.
My name is Cannonfodder on Subset Forums, but I am also known as NotSoLoneWolf on Discord which I prefer as a name
NarnKar

Postby NarnKar » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:00 am

Okay, sorry, sorry, sorry, just, one more question please???

I'm messing with Artillery systems right now, trying to install two artillery systems onto one cruiser. I remember reading somewhere that you needed to create four of something weapon-related in order for the Artillery to work correctly.

I believe it was that you needed to create four weapon mounts, at the minimum, and the fifth (and sixth) mounts would be artillery. Is this correct?

And is it possible to create, say, six weapon mounts, but only give the ship two weapon slots, so they can only use two weapons?
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:21 am

NarnKar wrote:Okay, sorry, sorry, sorry, just, one more question please???

I'm messing with Artillery systems right now, trying to install two artillery systems onto one cruiser. I remember reading somewhere that you needed to create four of something weapon-related in order for the Artillery to work correctly.

I believe it was that you needed to create four weapon mounts, at the minimum, and the fifth (and sixth) mounts would be artillery. Is this correct?

And is it possible to create, say, six weapon mounts, but only give the ship two weapon slots, so they can only use two weapons?

Yes, it should be. The problem is that two artillery systems on one ship are generally a bit wonky (but they would indeed use mounts 5 and 6).
Metzelmax

Postby Metzelmax » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:14 am

Can you make a Defense drone that can target both Lasers/missiles and Drones?
Here is the Stuff I made:
ImageImageImageImage
And stuff is always better than no stuff, right?
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:26 am

Metzelmax wrote:Can you make a Defense drone that can target both Lasers/missiles and Drones?

I don't see how this is possible. An examination of the code indicates that there is an <target>tag, which seems to replace the functionality previously given by the <level> tag. Perhaps you can try entering the <target> tag twice? Once with 'LASERS' and 'DRONES'?
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
Levgre

Postby Levgre » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:15 am

So is there any dat manager that is functional atm? I read that ftldat is out of date (I unpacked successfully with it, the instructions for repacking suck). I've also had problems repacking with ftl Dat Manager, when I try to repack an .xml via drag and drop, I end up getting a blank document.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:17 am

FTLdat is obsolete? But it worked for me. Um. I made a copy, unpacked it...

There isn't a need to repack the entire data.dat file...
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!