Extrene CPU Usage

Discuss problems related to FTL here. If you are having a problem or experiencing a bug PLEASE READ THE "MUST READ" POST.
ramtha

Extrene CPU Usage

Postby ramtha » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:52 am

Game is great, thanks!

However, there is one major issue, at least in the Linux version (not sure about others).

The game is maxing out one of my CPUs entirely, although the memory usage remains very low. I'm sure this is just a bug of some sort, since there is clearly nothing about the game that should have a high demand on the system.

This is a massive bug for people planning to play on their laptops, since having a CPU maxed out will eat through battery like crazy. I went from 55 - 39% in the first 15 minutes fo playing this game.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions about my specs to help solve this issue.
roidal

Re: Extrene CPU Usage

Postby roidal » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:43 am

This is not a Bug. The Game doesn't have a Framelimiter, so try to activate V-Sync which should limit the FPS and reduce the CPU-Usage.
ramtha

Postby ramtha » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:51 pm

Is there any way a framerate limit option could be added in?

As for V-Sync, where do I set that option? I don't see anything in the in-game options.

Thanks!
Carborundum

Postby Carborundum » Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:58 pm

ramtha wrote:Is there any way a framerate limit option could be added in?

As for V-Sync, where do I set that option? I don't see anything in the in-game options.

Thanks!

It's possible to force your graphics driver to v-sync the game in Linux. Here is a howto I wrote on that.
syndicatedragon

Postby syndicatedragon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:12 pm

Even with vsync, the CPU usage seems rather high even when nothing is going on.
Norgg

Postby Norgg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Love the game, but this is a pretty big issue, I shouldn't have to manually enforce VSync for the game in my graphics settings (the ATI control panel doesn't have settings for individual games, just global ones), the fact that it pointlessly maxes my CPU is a massive pain, and even if I do enforce VSync for it, this actually makes the loading time for the game get several times longer.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:36 pm

When we are able to put out an update it will have an easier way to have the application attempt to force v-sync settings.

Sorry about this.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
roidal

Postby roidal » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:35 pm

zasdarq wrote:When we are able to put out an update it will have an easier way to have the application attempt to force v-sync settings.

Sorry about this.

Maybe you should implement a Framelimiter instead of activating Vsync?
If i activate VSync the game needs much longer to load, runs only on 30FPS and there is a noticeable lag on mousemovements.
DeckerDradis

Postby DeckerDradis » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Also, will this new enhancement (however you do it) work on a Mac? We're unable, to my knowledge, to enable V-Sync ourselves. This game seems to cook my MacBook Air. Still love it, though. :)
pknite

Postby pknite » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:55 pm

For those worried about high CPU load, there is a Japanese-made utility weirdly named "Battle Encoder Shirase". It works for Win XP only, though, I guess. It hooks to a running application and limits its maximum CPU usage, like 50% instead of 100%. Usually this results in really ugly side-effects, but in FTL's case it worked surprisingly good for me. Maybe there are similar programs for newer Windows.