FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.23/Inf 1.23/EL 1.23

Postby rannl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:22 am

kartoFlane wrote:
Estel wrote:if SMM doesn't support command-line, maybe it's author can be persuaded to add one?

SMM already supports command line input ;) though I'm not too familiar with it...

Anyway, in order to run SMM in CL mode, open up the command line in the manager's directory, and execute the following command:

Code: Select all

modman -h

...to list available commands, etc. If it doesn't work, then try the following:

Code: Select all

java -jar modman.jar -h

Thanks for the heads up KF.
Though SMM can be run from the CMD, it seems like the patch option reverts to the vanilla data, then patches in the specified mods. This is a problem since, considering the modular nature of CE, all possible combinations of CE mods should be supported and repatched, and only then can the modded flagship patch be applied. This is both extremely cumbersome to handle and will also take a relatively long time (considering that all the user wants is just to generate a random flagship).

If SMM can support patching a mod without reverting to vanilla then this plan is solid, otherwise it seems like it'll be quite a hassle to use....
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:40 am

kartoFlane wrote:Now that I think about it, it could be possible to create a CE installer script that would install mods in the correct order... Would save some people some trouble, I suppose.

...and Sleeper would need to write "I recommend you reading the troubleshooting section at the first post of this thread." few hundred times less ;)

kartoFlane wrote:Edit
Though now that I think about it it'd be rather useless given the modular nature of CE and many of its optional features...

Why? such script would just install everything that is available (in it's working directory) in correct order, omitting missing "modules" (and throwing big fat errors, if one of *essential* modules is missing). Now, if someone want to be selective about what she/he enable = she/he actually spent time to read about such possibilities, there is big chance that said person also noticed correct mod order in first post.

/Estel

// Edit

If someone would want to get fancy with such script, it could event ASK which parts you want to enable - writing description of each module - and construct string for SMM accordingly (and would say "you must download it first, mthfckr! Here is the link:" if selected component is missing).
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 am

rannl wrote: This is a problem since, considering the modular nature of CE, all possible combinations of CE mods should be supported and repatched, and only then can the modded flagship patch be applied.

Why so? The flagship patch can just be applied last. Or am I missing something? After all, vanilla data is always the "starting point", then, we get Ce and it's modules, then, at the end, flagship randomized content, that clobbers some parts of vanilla or CE.

/Estel
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:06 am

From the CE post-run feedback department - achieving this outcome:
http://s28.postimg.org/p6wdwm03h/lovers.jpg

...with the equipment visible was feeling like one heck of an achievement, especially, that it's 2nd time I got this storyline and 1st time (using same ship, BTW) I had to blow the station up, and I KNEW that the person mentioned earlier HAD to be in the station. Now, noticing that station have "only" laser and hull beam against my squishy 1 shield, I decided to go for the risky tactic of destroying shield in one dual-laser salvo (after ionizing it), then impending enemy's troop movement and repair with stun, targeting their lvl2 oxygen with another salvo. Now, every single time they managed to repair shield or O2, I squashed them with laser fire - at the same time "dancing" between their laser and beam (sometimes, it was better to lower shield and risk getting hit by laser, just to have shield up again by the time hull beam charges... If laser haven't hit a shield in the downtime, of course). Luckily, they actually missed twice, so to not allow them third chance - and spread out their repair team a little - I've blasted their guns, at some point. Following the troop movement, I could swear that my laser also managed to start some fires, but without sensors I wasn't sure.

Anyway, despite lack of dedicated equipment, I managed to consequently deprive slaver fckrs of oxygen, and got this outcome with exactly 0 damage taken during fight. Felt awesome, eh? Sadly, 3 beacons later, I got smashed to pieces (just before shop beacon, with 142 scrap in my cargo... Disclaimer, it was infinite run, so it was good for repairs, not upgrades.), due to meeting THREE rebel rigger with two repair drones, heavy scatter lasers and Artemis rockets each (+being forced to prevent one of them ESCAPING - with such armament, ha-ha bloody ha - or I would have to face rebel fleet on steroids in next beacon. Smashed the bastard to pieces, but took heavy damage, thank to fckin artemis hitting shield and heavy scatter hitting... Well, everything, systems for 2 damage each shot, hull for three). Well, the ways plot in FTL unfolds...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I absolutely love multi or semi-multi stage quests like that with coherent storyline (the fact that I had to have "the same" - I know race limitation, but nvm that - crew member that gave me first stage, to actually find anything on second stage!). Normal events with good writing are OK, but it's always those longer, inter-connected storylines (that sometimes, require certain equipment to get most happy ending - via blue option, or like here, to kill them without blowing station [or being really dedicated/lucky with other equipment]) that leave best memories and sense of in-game achievement. If anything, the longer and more twisted plot-driven quests, the better! We want CE: plot role playing (RPG_) component :D

/Estel
Last edited by Estel on Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalForerunner

Postby FinalForerunner » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:17 am

Hey! I'm new to the community here and I heard about Captain's Edition a while back. I only just got around to installing it and Slipstream Mod Manager. I've downloaded the mods on the page and put them in the correct order, but when it gets to "CE Endless Loot Addon for CE Infinite 1.23.ftl" it stops. I've been waiting for it for about 10 minutes now. Is this normal?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:32 am

I recommend you read through troubleshooting section at the beginning of this thread.

Glad you liked the quest Estel. :) I also like how it turned out and I want to do more stuff like that. There are already some other instances where romance can bloom aboard your ship. Maybe next time your FTL love drama can come to a happy end. :D
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:20 pm

Hey, just came across something odd.

Is this something related to CE or a "bug" type related to the vanilla FTL?

In short.
In the final battle sector (pic 1), I came across the half finished flagship (pic 2) , defeated it and got the rewards from it (pic 3).
Seeing that that event isn't unique to CE, it got me wondering...
Already finished flagship stage 1 btw.
Kind of funny since I already delivered the info and all that good stuff.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:03 pm

It's a CE event that you can come across in Rebel sectors or anywhere the Rebels have taken over a becon, I believe. It's an alternate way to unlock the Federation Cruiser, I've run into it a few times and got the quest pop-up notif. It's a fun version of the default event.
rannl

Postby rannl » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:50 pm

Estel wrote:
rannl wrote: This is a problem since, considering the modular nature of CE, all possible combinations of CE mods should be supported and repatched, and only then can the modded flagship patch be applied.

Why so? The flagship patch can just be applied last. Or am I missing something? After all, vanilla data is always the "starting point", then, we get Ce and it's modules, then, at the end, flagship randomized content, that clobbers some parts of vanilla or CE.

/Estel

Here's the thing : adding a patching script will work only if it'll clobber the randomized flagship data without reverting the current FTL modded state. If FTL is reverted to vanilla, then the user will have to load all the mods he wants FL to use, with the final mod being the random flagship, as you pointed out above. There is no simple way to do this with a script (unless the script is run from the CMD and the user manually inputs all the mod he wishes to use - this is cumbersome and not simple).

I'm thinking about two patching processes : The 1st is SMM usage - you load all the mods want FTL to use.
The 2nd is the random flagship script - if you want to have a run with a random flagship, you run the script, which patches a random flagship and starts the game. I think that getting different .ftl flagship files and patching them in manually is cumbersome, since you'll have to patch in all the other mods as well.

This is just my opinion, if the CE community minds think differently, I'd love to know how you think this problem should be handled.
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:41 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:There are already some other instances where romance can bloom aboard your ship.

I sincerely hope that you're not talking about the situation, where we, as captain, drink something strange with our Slug, and he starts to "seem more and more attractive" with every drink ;)

Seriously though, Looking forward to discover other ones - I remember, from many months ago, "surprising" result of leeting my people take break and go to the planet below in Civ Coreworlds. BTW, speaking about Slugs - while most instances of "relaxing" with them goes straight to unpleasant fleet delay, the events itself are nicely written, to. My favorite is when Slug starts to improvise on some egzotic instrument - it nicely characterizes their complicated personality, something of a mix between flower children and hardcore capitalists ;)

rannl wrote:This is just my opinion, if the CE community minds think differently, I'd love to know how you think this problem should be handled.

I think that user would need to have her/his list of mods pre-defined for command line parameter (just like now, we need to construct our list of mods in SMM GUI), while script would only create randomized flagship .ftl file and append it to the end of user's list.

Frankly, if user would have problems with creating command line string (after given direct instructions in mod description) with own favorite mods, she/he wouldn't be able to use flagship randomizer properly, too. Such people would require to more complicated (although definitely doable) script that I've mentioned few posts ago - one that would ask what user want to enable, and construct command line approriately.

/Estel

Ps.

For my personal usage, I would just have .sh scripts for smm with parameters - containing my mod list, two or three of them, for every variant I want, for example ce-if.sh and ce.sh -, which I would just call after pipe/ing output from the script generating flagship. After initial set-up, randomizing it would be just a matter of calling one script, one or another, depending on what I want to play. It may even contain $* for manually providing custom ships, if I feel fancy to play one. Not cumbersome to use at all, just require some initial preparation.