Tips for the new guys

General discussion about the game.
Freckles

Tips for the new guys

Postby Freckles » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:25 pm

Hello Everybody! Freckles here, and I was looking for some tips that could help someone (without the use of mods) on their journey to eradicate the Rebels.
5thHorseman

Re: Tips for the new guys

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:00 am

This board's full of 'em. Look for any thread titled something like "THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE" and "IT'S ALL LUCK BASED" and stuff like that.

But here's a couple:
You want L2 shields almost immediately. There are many ships in the first 2 sectors that literally cannot hurt you if you've got L2 shields.
You want L4 engines not too far after that. Dodging is more important than most people new to the game think.
Don't go to every store. Only go when you've got scrap AND need something.
Every time you die, think long and hard on how you died and how you could have prevented it. Protip: It probably wasn't the RNG screwing you. :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Freckles

Postby Freckles » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:09 am

Thanks for the tips. It makes so much since now getting the L4 engines, it makes you harder hit. Again, thank you.
shadowcrust

Postby shadowcrust » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:06 am

Everything in the game is situational. While upgrading shields and engines is very useful in many cases, sometimes you want to diverge from that path to buy a new weapon or Hacking or to upgrade your weapon system to be able to fire your two Burst Laser Mk II :-)

Many ways lead to victory, there's no straight line. However much you're zig-zagging though, there will be many ways to defeat as well. (Confucius) ;-)

And now for the very best advice of them all: don't read too many posts giving you advice and spoilering you, it's more fun to discover stuff yourself I think.
Freckles

Postby Freckles » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:10 pm

Yeah, I recently bought a Weapon Pre-Igniter and let me tell you, it is one of the best things I've bought.

And, yeah, that is some pretty good advice. It's a live and learn thing, and I'm still living (surprisingly, even when I'm, like, two sector jumps from the flagship) and learning all I can retain.

Anyways, thank you for the advice.
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:36 am

Day-one advice.

PAUSE.

Just... PAUSE. All the time. If there's anything happening, pause. If there isn't, pause and figure out why not. Pausing the game regularly and treating it like a turn-based game makes everything work easier.

The more experience you get, the less critical pausing becomes, but when you're new to the game, make sure the game is paused when making EVERY decision.
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 am

I'm gonna point you over the Tips, Strategy, and Guides forum, where you'll find tons of advice - a lot of it cobbled up in the "Did you Know?" topic. :)