To AE or not to AE, that is the question...

General discussion about the game.
KJ4VOV

To AE or not to AE, that is the question...

Postby KJ4VOV » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:21 pm

I've had mixed feelings about upgrading to AE for some time now. On one hand, the original game had pretty much lost my interest (until I started using Sleeper Service's CE that is) so the influx of new material to the game would be welcomed, but on the other hand, once I found CE my interest in the game picked up again and I don't want to give that up, and yes, I know Sleeper is releasing a fully AE compatible version of CE later today. It's more than just that though. Reading the "First Impressions" thread I'm seeing reports of things that may be "deal breaker" issues for me, but I won't know for sure until I try it. And therein lies the rub... there's no going back, at least as far as I know.

I bought the game on Steam, and since the release of AE I've stayed off Steam to avoid getting involuntarily upgraded, because, as far as I've been able to tell, you can't reverse the process and go back to the original, and I like the original, now that I have it modded the way I want it.

Still though, some of the new stuff sounds sweet...

Did they add more sectors? I hope they did. The game always seemed to finish too quickly, which is why I now only use Infinite Space.

Guess I'll just have to figure a way to make a restorable backup of what I have now. Damn, I hate this forced upgrade stuff. :(
Due to the rising cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.
IConquer

Re: To AE or not to AE, that is the question...

Postby IConquer » Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:58 pm

Once AE is Installed, there is an option in the "new game" screen that allows you to toggle AE content. so I'd say go for it!
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:11 pm

1. AE contains a button to enable only the original game content.
2. You can just copy your game folder out of the steam folder and use it as a portable version, just like the Humble version. But don't forget to save your profile data in user/documents/My Games/FasterThanLight, too! Better try it out before updating.
3. They added more sectors, though I'm not sure yet wheter they really change much.
4. Personally, I love the update so far! Since I didn't red all the announcements I stumble upon new things all the time, it makes everything so fresh, just like the epic new electronic music! Plus, the C Types give you a very good reason and fun to play again.

It's really worth it, imo. :wink:
KJ4VOV

Postby KJ4VOV » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Turns out Steam didn't give me any choice in the matter. As soon as I tried to access my Steam account it started the update, and didn't even wait to download all the files, just started changing stuff as it came in. I stopped the d/l within seconds but it was still too late, some files had already been deleted and replaced and the whole install was screwed. I had to let it finish the upgrade. :(

I'm not happy about this, not happy at all. I'M the one who decides what gets done on MY computer, not Steam, not the FTL developers.

Steam and FTL are getting uninstalled immediately.
Due to the rising cost of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:11 pm

KJ4VOV wrote:I'm not happy about this, not happy at all. I'M the one who decides what gets done on MY computer, not Steam, not the FTL developers.

Then you'll be happy to know that YOU are the one who allowed Steam to auto-update the game.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
KeronCyst

Postby KeronCyst » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:25 am

KJ4VOV wrote:I'm not happy about this, not happy at all. I'M the one who decides what gets done on MY computer, not Steam, not the FTL developers.

This has got to be the most arrogant post on any forum I've ever read (gaming-related or not) in YEARS. You've hardly even bothered to touch AE, which is free yet essentially acts like an epic sequel without being an actual sequel. You complain about 8 sectors being too short but haven't said anything about the insane journey known as Hard Mode. You said nothing in response to the people who pointed out that the additional content can be deactivated, and have said nothing about the very strong possibility that AE can also support Infinite Space. And you're entirely uninstalling Steam itself because of one game?

System Restore, anyone? I don't have much experience with that so I don't know if it could actually restore your old FTL, but I'd give it a shot if you're so desperate. I mean, your post has got to be the biggest slap to the face of the FTL developers. You say you crafted it the way you wanted it to be, via mods. Well, what if Subset Games never made FTL in the first place? Your lack of gratefulness is disgusting. Let's see you make your own indie game of comparable thought and quality. Or you might as well at least go the full drama king route by being the biggest complainer out of all FTL customers and asking for your money back if a pure original version isn't made available. (What, your measly $10?)

It's an unbelievable and wildly creative expansion that, even if it has some disagreeable additions, was released for free with Subset Games' intentions of making the best product possible. I can't understand anyone who would complain about AE over little UI things like "IN DANGER" over the "SHIP" button when the UI change that actually matters (for example) is the greatly size-multiplied star map, which is a heck of a lot more significant and impressive in comparison. It's a worthy update. Or else, as previously mentioned, System Restore or get a refund somehow. And your computer had better not have any trace of an FTL file on it for the rest of its existence, given that kind of attitude its owner carries around.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:33 am

Guy, like KeronCyst mentioned you could try system restore, it should work perfectly.

After that you can just copy the FTL folder to another location (and your profiles folder!), like I already said OR
you just start FTL without even starting Steam by opening ...\Steam\SteamApps\common\FTL Faster Than Light\FTLGame.exe OR
You deactivate your Wlan or pull your lan cable out of your computer, run steam (which will switch into offline mode) and deactivate the automatic update by right clicking FTL in your game list -> properties -> updates and choosing do not update automatically in the first drop-down menu.

Many possibilites, no need to complain. ;)

You will miss much, if you really delete the game :o
Even if you don't play AE, imo.
itg

Postby itg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:41 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Turns out Steam didn't give me any choice in the matter. As soon as I tried to access my Steam account it started the update, and didn't even wait to download all the files, just started changing stuff as it came in. I stopped the d/l within seconds but it was still too late, some files had already been deleted and replaced and the whole install was screwed. I had to let it finish the upgrade. :(

I'm not happy about this, not happy at all. I'M the one who decides what gets done on MY computer, not Steam, not the FTL developers.

I'm sure you were just in a bad mood when you wrote this, but remember, you're the only one suffering if you take your anger out on Steam and FTL. Seriously, just install the update and disable the AE content, if you don't want to play it.
mopman1337

Postby mopman1337 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:53 am

KJ4VOV wrote:Turns out Steam didn't give me any choice in the matter. As soon as I tried to access my Steam account it started the update, and didn't even wait to download all the files, just started changing stuff as it came in. I stopped the d/l within seconds but it was still too late, some files had already been deleted and replaced and the whole install was screwed. I had to let it finish the upgrade. :(

made an account just to let you know this is one of the funniest things ive ever read.

top kek mate.

also to op, yes definitely give AE a shot. i havent read too many peoples responses but my own has been overwhelmingly posititive. forget about mods for a while and just enjoy the newness and fun of a fresh set of ship layouts to unlock and new weapons. the balance seems fine, (in fact its even a little more challenging now which is great)