FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Russian Rockman

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.105 / CE Infinite 1.005

Postby Russian Rockman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:40 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:Also, the reason why hull counts shouldn't really go any higher than 22 is that the graphic used for showing enemy Hull points only goes up to 22 individual segments. You go over that, and the graphics glitch out.

You could probably put back the engine hacking to half instead of limiting it to one because Sleeper made all of the hacks reset now after the battle. I think.

About the Hull count, I thought other ships had more than 22 hull already? I looked in the xml ship files and found ones with 24 and 26 hull I'm pretty sure. Anyway, this is the Hull graphic I use, kind of inspired by the Polish Kit. ;) I'm still working on it, but for now I like it. (edited a bit, very quickly, so you can see).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1u0ouspik9xp ... icator.png
In my opinion it is easier to see the increments of 4, it is more "parallel" to the outline on the left of the targeting screen (does that make sense...), and it doesn't have as much of a hard transition back to the smaller bars when you fight the Boss. Using this you could give the Boss 22-26-30 Hull. Probably don't want to change the enemy hull graphic though. That's fine.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:49 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:EDIT: The drones thing was also an oversight on my end, I didn't notice it was added. Indeed, the one where it disables sensors has the Drone-disabling but nothing else did. I'll have that fixed soon.. just trying to work something out for the main mod. So, if you cause an event to give you a specific weapon but you instead refer to a weapons list, will it work and randomly select a weapon from that list to give to the player?

I think I tried that to give crystal weapons once. Did not work. You will have to make an event list that gives all the weapons you want to give. If you want them to have the correct rarity you'll need multiple entries for certain weapons, which makes it even more complicated.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:27 pm

So, I've continued my run with Federation Cruiser B. I've progressed from 4-7 without entering deep space - at sector 6, I had 2 shield bubbles, upgraded to 3 during it. Other things as before - dual laser, big bomb, 4-sec reloading Ion, Heavy Defense Drone II and Focus Beam Drone. Ah, I've also upgraded artillery from 2 (from start) to 3. No enemies in sector 6 gave me much problem, but, surprisingly, Reb Cruiser in sector 7 blasted me away (barely, but still). I could have run around, repair (hull Repair Drone) and meet it again, but frankly, I was interested to see who will get on top of it without running.

So, while my setup certainly wasn't mind-breaking, I think that you've succeed in making sector 7/adjacent deep space thing to be considered seriously even in Infinite :) Well, at least for poor old Fed Cruiser, who can't pirate or break truces - I still need to test it with pirate-friendly faction.

Small bug report/suggestions mix:

Tested version: FTL Captains Edition 1.105.ftl + CE Infinite Addon 1.005.ftl

1. Option to send mining drones ahead is available only on first beacon of a sector. Intended? Considering that mapping drones, and other things can be sent from any empty beacon, it was a little miss-leading.

2. This laser either have wrong description, or wasn't updated to pierce 2 shields as his lower-tier versions:
http://s2.postimg.org/wixz57mzb/scatter_laser.jpg

3. I've noticed that you've removed the "zero-one/hacking" effect from effectors. While I'm happy that you decided to make UI prompts more friendly for our poor Heavy Drones, that one was necessary - effectors are technically bombs, so they don't concern drones. For lasers, it helped a bit (although, as you've said, fixing it "for real" would still be required - I stand for my opinion, that Ui prompts should get removed for fast shotting/burst lasers).

Cheers,
/Estel
Last edited by Estel on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:53 pm

Estel wrote:1. Option to send mining drones ahead is available only on first beacon of a sector. Intended? Considering that mapping drones, and other things can be sent from any empty beacon, it was a little miss-leading

Yep, did not want to enable the player to spam sectors with mining opportunities. Keep in mind that this eliminates all kinds of other events. Mining might still get upgraded a little, as it is currently not very profitable. I guess its more viable in infinite.

Estel wrote:This laser either have wrong description, or wasn't updated to pierce 2 shields as his lower-tier versions:

I will need that image I guess. ;)

Estel wrote:. I've noticed that you've removed the "zero-one/hacking" effect from effectors. While I'm happy that you decided to make UI prompts more friendly for our poor Heavy Drones, that one was necessary - effectors are technically bombs, so they don't concern drones. For lasers, it helped a bit (although, as you've said, fixing it "for real" would still be required - I stand for my opinion, that Ui prompts should get removed for fast shotting/burst lasers).

Oops. I made some accross-the-board changes there. Will look into that.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Strange, image was working for me whole time. Anyway, I've always used [url] tag, so maybe it's [img] one that causes problems? Fixed it, should be available from last post in usual form.

As for UI prompts - that is what I've thought :) As said earlier, I think that only burst lasers and burst rockets (including dual shot ones) + auto-lasers need nerfing their UI prompts, everything else doesn't bother drones (in case of Artillery - doesn't bother too much), and is looking nicely in CE.

/Estel
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:23 pm

Read everything said about the issue.

Running is indeed an option but one I don't like to fall back on to much during the flagship. It feels cheap and it used to not change anything. I guess I have no option to that anymore, no problem though.
Happy to see that the engine hack is going to become a bit different. Even if you do decide to run, an unlucky hit on pilot could still easily make you a sitting duck. And with only 25% max evasion and slow as hell FTL charge, accidents are way more likely to occur.
Other then that, I don't know how much more changes are happening with the sMPK. I just assumed it always got updated to still work with CE. But like I said, my previous post was never supposed to be seen as a personal attack.
It's just a bit... discouraging knowing that previously once you beat stage 2, it was GG. Now the battle only begins.
Knowing that I can "reroll" (and actually start doing so) the conditions of the fight, things will probably work out a bit better.
Just sucks a bit that a set up like that couldn't bring me victory thanks to all the new stuff, but mostly my own pride.

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:It's just a bit... discouraging knowing that previously once you beat stage 2, it was GG.

Well, having GG situation after phase 2 is exactly what Sleeper wanted to avoid here, and I sincerely hope that he succeed :twisted: (haven't meet boss after latest changes, yet). It always bugged me, at least - one would think that the worse situation is for rebels, the more fierce their attempts to defend should be.

Also, keep in mind that polish kit is completely separate project - Sleeper accepted some ideas from there and is always willing to help with resolving problems, but, generally, it's *not* core Captain's Edition experience. For some (like me) - ironically - polish kit makes game too easy on some aspects (swarm missiles having limited shield piercing, etc). After new CE release, polish kit's author need at least few day to adapt for changes, if any problems arise.

Think of it like fork - lets say Debian and Aptosid. Aptosid is based on Debian, but if new release of Debian appears and you try to throw *older* Aptosid on it, things will (usually) break.

Sleeper Service wrote:Mining might still get upgraded a little, as it is currently not very profitable. I guess its more viable in infinite.

Yea - at first, when I got information about my drones being able to localize resources, but not to mine them, I thought that I was extremely unlucky. Now, after numerous checks, it seems to be the usual result, which is a biiig letdown :( I thought that there will be some generous scrap amount waiting for me, especially, that one can send drones only from first sector, and their quest appear somewhere near the exit (most likely, AFTER the exit, forcing you to get there and back, before fleet catches you). Agreed, that it need a solid buff - without drone recovery arm, it's just a total waste, and even *with*, it is only for situations, where you don't have anything better to do at sector opener. Frankly, having rock crew member, I would rather try to get lucky and obtain some free repairs, even if chances are thin.

Cheers,
/Estel
Last edited by Estel on Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:44 pm

I'm thinking that, against ships with cloning bay, effectors could become a foundament of anti-crew tactics by taking said system down while it is producing someone. And if the member is not completely lost unless the system is ionized down to zero bars, and assuming a system health ranging from 1 to 3, the heavy effector (otherwise too slow to be used reliably), could get a quite necessary buff by completely disabling a clonbay.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:27 pm

Truth be told, I never was a huge fan of the swarm missiles.
Simply due to the fact that defense drones capable of shooting them down are extremely rare.
There have been plenty of runs where I never got the chance (I think, I still don't know all those that can actually do that) to get a single one simply because they never showed up. Combined with the fact that they do extra hull damage makes the swarm missiles a real force to recon with. I definitely don't want them removed for that exact reason, but just the chance to pick up a drone that can actually aim at them would go a long way. Now, the only options you have are cloak (good for the first shot, not the 2nd) and engines, still a coin flip at max (well 55%).
That's a reason why I like what they did with them on sM PK, they can't pierce lvl3 shields, but (and you'll see enough of that in some upcoming episodes in my LP) they often manage to sneak through anyway.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:47 pm

I think the Flagship's weapon rooms' crew should be replaced by AI avatars.

I mean, how did those guys even got there? Sure, you could say they teleported but it's just suicide. How do they eat and drink? How do they sleep? How do they survive?

It makes a little bit more sense if flagship generated various avatars to man these weapon-platform prisons. On the other hand it would be a weakness. Boarders would spend even less time taking them out and you could kill the AI without anti crew weapons.