Do you quit?

General discussion about the game.
Elhazzared

Re: Do you quit?

Postby Elhazzared » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:38 pm

That isn't really significant because quite honestly. I can just save scum and run through every beacon until I find the right one. The problem is that you need luck to find the right type of sector for the pod. Then you need more luck to find the right distress event there and you might even need more luck to get the pod if you're not flying a rock ship. then you need more luck to find the next right type of sector and then you need more luck to find a becon with the right kind of event. Last but never least, you still need to find the last type of right sector which is the hardest cause it needs to be a specific homeworld type and then you can do the quest.

Let's compare it with other cruisers...

Get to sector 5

Finish the game

Find one specific sector and find the event there

Seams to me that the level of RNG from crystal cruiser to everything else is mindboggling high and no, a quest marker isn't enough. Idealisticly sectors wouldn't be pre-dertimined as you start a new game. It can seed the colours but it shouldn't automaticly select the type of system. It should be randomised pre jump and in the cause of having a quest that requires a certain type of sector, then it will be available in the next jump of the appropriate colour... I'm betting it isn't even hard to code that much, after all if it randomises the stars and events in the system prior to jumping, randomising what the system is prior to jumping and making it specific to quest should there be one shouldn't be hard at all to code.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out
And under the ashes of infinity
Hope, scarred and bleeding breathed it's last."

For my Let's play series of FTL please follow the Link
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:08 pm

Elhazzared wrote:That isn't really significant because quite honestly. I can just save scum and run through every beacon until I find the right one.

You said the devs didn't do anything, which was wrong, and then you say it's not significant, because you can go against the spirit of the game. Way to move the goalposts. :roll:

And if you think things aren't that hard to code, well, why aren't you making your own game?
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 pm

The whole way to get the crystal cruiser is against the spirit of the game. I want to have all ships because I want to have all the options to play and see which ones I like most. If a little bit of save scum is needed in order to be able to archieve it... Again bear in mind I've been looking for that ship for over 70 hours of gameplay, always playing with the same ship which I don't like so that I can increase my chances of getting it... Then I'll so a little bit of save scumming because the odds are awefully stacked against you getting it... Tell me though. Do you belive it's fun to go at it for 70 hours to just try to unlock a ship and well. Sheer dumb luck on the RNG never hits you?. If you do that's ok but I don't, particularly cause I don't like either versions of the rock cruiser.

And if I actually had learned programing at any point in life I'm sure I probably would be making my own game at a point or another in life... It doesn't changes the fact that to make the quest that much more accessible is incredibly easy to code since all you need to do is add that system type are not fixed from the start but they are randomly rolled when you open the map at the jump beacon. Then you have to add a line with an exception saying that if you have the quest to go to the rock homeworld then the next red sector will not be randomised but instead it will be the rock homeworlds... Despite not being a programer myself, even I know how easy this would be to code.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out

Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:12 pm

How does playing with the rock cruiser increase your luck at finding the hidden sector?
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:28 pm

It increases my chances from 33% of getting the pod from the dense asteroid field to 100% due to the rock plating.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out

Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am

Elhazzared wrote:It increases my chances from 33% of getting the pod from the dense asteroid field to 100% due to the rock plating.

Is that a specialty of the cruiser or a rockmen crew member?

Cause I never remember I've failed getting the pod (actually I never knew there was a way to fail). And I've got it 8 times in 32 games.
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:27 pm

It's the rock plating augment bonus that comes on any of the rock cruiser ships, nothing to do with the crew.

The event only gives you a 33% success chance base, the rock plating is the blue option that gives 100% success.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out

Twinge

Postby Twinge » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:15 pm

The game counts any quit or reset as a loss, and I agree with this. The game can be won consistently without restarting, and it's generally more interesting when things don't go as planned.
FTL Tips & Tricks Video Series

Catch my stream on Twitch

Improve game balance, fix bugs, and have more decisions: Twinge's Balance & Bugfix Mod
Elhazzared

Postby Elhazzared » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:16 pm

While I'd tend to agree with you on the majority of cases but when getting content unlocked is highly dependent on RNG. If it was a case of just getting to the end of the game or just a random archievement which had no influence on the game. Whether you got it or not would be minimal. However when you spent over 80 hours trying to unlock a single cruiser because it's just that RNG dependent, it stops being interesting and become really boring and frustating.
"The heavens burned
The stars cried out

obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:50 am

The Captain wrote:
Elhazzared wrote:... quite frankly it isn't just the RNG which is ridiculous, it's that the developers haven't bothered to actually do anything about making this cruiser obtainable in a less RNG way...

Actually, they did - they put a quest beacon in the Rock Homeworlds sector.

Finding the Rock Homeworlds is dependent on the RNG.