FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Delphi

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.1

Postby Delphi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:23 pm

Your new subspace scanner(I love that aug by the way!) got me thinking. If it is possible to circumvent certain hazards with augs, then there might be room for some more augs. Here are just some ideas:

already implemented effects:

subspace scanner: Sensors work in all clouds
rock plating: no damage in acid clouds
LS Level 3: no suffocating in radioactive clouds
perhaps more?

possible new augs for current hazards:

Engine nano particle filter: Engines work with full power in industrial clouds (shouldn´t be very expensive)
Sub-zero stealth field: Allows cloaking in ice fields (should be cheap, very limited use).
Alternatively: rename the stealth weapons to something like "stealth field stabilizator" and let it have both effects.
Protective generator barrier: No Power loss in Ion Storms (should be expensive)

If you ever plan to implement a shield disturbing hazard(or perhaps they already are the new zoltan sector ones?):

Phased shields: Shield system works with full power in shield disturbing hazard (shouldn´t be too expensive). Alternatively: Let the shield charge booster have this as a secondary effect.

Btw.: I noticed that the targeting jammer aug seems to not work, even if the text describes a positive outcome. I saw this happen alot with the slug ship.
Last edited by Delphi on Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:39 pm

More than that, what you're looking for, Delphi, are augments that can negate those things AND combat augment jamming.Though you don't really need to look for new augments:

The Reverse Ion Field could work against enemy shield dysruptors (total neagtion) and in ion storms. If you rename the Drone Booster to Advanced Drone CPUs (and change its description saying lets interior drones react quicker, which still makes sense), then you could have a blue option saying that even with less signal, the advanced drones' CPUs are independent enough to be able to operate without less signal controlling on your part, be it because they have been jammed or because there is a magnetic anomaly nearby. It would make both systems more useful too.

With these two it shuld be enough, reloaders and pre-igniters are powerful enough as they are. I wish we could think of one for cloaking though, but the disabling-negating should be asecondary effect, and we can't just hardcode a primary effect into it, and Stealth Weapons wouldn't make sense...
...unless you renamed "Stealth Weapons" to "Cloak Mega-estabilizer" or something like that. Would make sense why firing weapons wouldn't de-estabilize it, and also why the cloaking itself would be efficient enough to still be of use in ice fields.
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:55 pm

Combinations of these effects with existing augments is also a good idea, as long as it makes some sense for them to do multiple things. This would make the augs even more usefull, and you might more often consider getting them. After all, it wouldn´t make that much sense to have say 100 augs, and every aug would only have one exact usage. That would make a lot of them quite underpowered.

I´d wish there was room for more than 3 augs, or even better, sizes. Then you could have an aug space, lets say 5x5, and a weapon pre igniter would be 3x3, and the less powerfull augs could be everything between 3x2, 2x2, 2x1 and 1x1. If only...

Well, but enough dreaming :D

I think the drone booster is already renamed to improved internal AI btw. so it would make sense to negate drone disrupting augs. One more thought:

Perhaps the improved internal AI or something else could prevent damage in Nano Clouds? Perhaps Rock-Plating, Titanium System casing or maybe Zoltan Shields(which are already a bit powerful in my oppinion).
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:01 pm

Nah. Nanoclouds are the most dangerous zones of CE, and they should stay like that. If anything, the most effective thing against AI ships (read: NOT auto-ships) are boarding drones.
MightyKebab

Postby MightyKebab » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Nah. Nanoclouds are the most dangerous zones of CE, and they should stay like that. If anything, the most effective thing against AI ships (read: NOT auto-ships) are boarding drones.

Agreed. I once made the mistake of sending my mantis boarding party to an AI ship without knowing they had no life support system. Luckily, one of my mantis was maxed out in it's combat skills and managed to swiftly eliminate the entire ship right before he nearly died.

EDIT: I also thought of this just now. Maybe, the Federation v Rebel war was merely caused by Federation's moralities. Us players, atelast most of us, use other races to our advantage. We never let a rockman or mantis tend to ship repairs or man systems when we have a teleporter, we never send a zoltan/engi when we do, and we always have a human or slug man the helm because they have no specific traits. Rebels instead, want the races to do whatever they want and believe only humans can protect them. Further support of this claim could be found in the hangar, where a Rockman is singlehandedly carrying crates which would otherwise require the full strength of 2-3 humans.

This gives me the idea, what if Federation ships could try to repel their weaknesses and boost their strengths with aliens? A gunslinger could have a zoltan to support it's high-powered weapons, a ship without door system could have a rockman onboard and a medevac could have a mantis to teleport to the player's ship. It would be brilliant if this was possible but if not, I'd still like to see a random alien loyalist accompanied by humans on each federation ship.
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:31 pm

Mr. Mister wrote:Nah. Nanoclouds are the most dangerous zones of CE, and they should stay like that. If anything, the most effective thing against AI ships (read: NOT auto-ships) are boarding drones.

Yeah, you might be right about this. It was more of a "think what´s possible" approach on my side. Of course, not everything that´s doable is at the same time sensible.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:04 pm

One of'em pirate Rebel Riggers (I believe it said RIgger, can't be sure) has wrong weapon link on debries. I believe it is mount 2, on the interior left.

BTW, I love the Zoltan Monastery thinguie, didn't expect that. And a bounty hunter offering me 20 scrap and a FIre Beam MkI on the first sector definitely made me consider it for a while.

EDIT: "You has little choice but to agree". I won't dwelve into grammar, but this is lacking "r crew".

EDIT: Also, crash report from Bio, says he has it recorded:

Are you a wizard by some off chance?
Just had a crash,no error message or log, have it recorded on episode 96.
As far as info goes, just jumped to a new beacon called "The everlasting domain"
Game crashed just before he had to load the first beacon (ship appearing there).
Also first jump after starting the game again.

He's got the load order right this time, and using sMPK. I think that's a Rock Homeworld.
Estel

Postby Estel » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:32 pm

I *definitely* want nebula-mass in AI sectors left as it is. Last time I had only 4 nanoclouds beacons, for whole sector :( - and it was using CE music pack. All against reducing it further.

/Estel
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Hello,

Let me start of by saying that I really enjoy the CE and would like to thank everyone who participates in the continuous development of it.

I was instructed by someone who follows my let's play of FTL that for quite a while now has the CE installed on it (been using it since version 1.06 or so) when a crash occurred. And to give as much info as possible.
Seeing that it was a recording, here's the part of the video when it happened:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNPLq3I- ... e=youtu.be

Should you feel no need to watch (or if the link doesn't work/show up), here's what happened in text:
Started the game back up, pressed Jump, was a jump to a next sector.
Picked "Everlasting domain", the ship jumped and just before the next screen had to load, a crash to desktop.
It was the first jump after starting the game back up.

Don't think anything particular showed up on the windows event log.

Also, here are the current mods and mod order I was using:
Alpha - Base Game 1.03.3
Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3.1
better_asteroids
Bulk - The sM Polish Kit 1.028
FTL Captains Edition 1.1
CE Additional Music Addon 1.0
Patch - The sMPK for CE 1.1
Patch - CE Player Ships 1.1

First crash I ever had with the CE and FTL in general really.
Also not the first time I used the sMPK in conjunction with CE

Greetings,
Biohazard063
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 pm

He's so cute when he's so polite.

He was using 1.1 during that BTW.