FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
slowriderxcorps

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.1

Postby slowriderxcorps » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:25 pm

I don't know, I've triple-checked the currently uploaded version and it's working just fine..
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:39 pm

It works for me too. On a side note, Bio messaged me saying something wasn't working for him in 1.1. Namely, he told me he couldn't get the alternate starting loadouts working, so I messaged him the correct load order, which he told me he was already doing, but would try again after the One punch to the face update. I haven't recieved anything from him since, so I assume it's working.
ikeelyou300

Postby ikeelyou300 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 am

That being said what do you guys think about an event for the Zoltan sector where you are boarded by Zoltan's, yeah I know not too menacing, but they absorb the power from your ship rather than giving it power. Maybe it won't recharge until the next FTL outburst. There could also be some more blue option with your Zoltan where they absorb the enemy's power because Zoltan crew have hardly any blue options.
Last edited by ikeelyou300 on Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:49 am

Cloudmoon wrote:Still can't play the new CE. Face punch solution didn't work. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Yeah, its running fine for me as well, so there is not really much I can do. Maybe try a reinstall or verify your data if you use the steam version and then try again. Does slipstream report anything? Have you tried verifying the mod? There is a button for that in the mod manager... Does it crash on game load? You might want to ask around in the slipstream thread if the error persists. The mod itself seems functional.
Cloudmoon

Postby Cloudmoon » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:54 am

Well, I uninstalled everything then repatched. That didn't work so I re-downloaded Slipstream and all the patches and that did work. God knows why.

Thanks, CE rules!

Since I'm here anyway let me just ask, about Crystal Vengeance: Why leave it in at all? It was always sort of a silly worthless augment that got sold right away. Raising the % chance doesn't do much, especially when drones are so much more prevalent and there are so many types of defense drones that will shoot it down. Reducing the scrap recovery when it is sold is a straight up nerf to Crystal ships, which is of course fine (there really is no way to balance having multiple lockdown personnel, they will always be overpowered for boarding). But now it kind of has no point at all, unless it provides some blue option that I've never encountered? But if so then it would be nice to have that in the description of the augment so I know not to immediately sell it as soon as I hit a store.

Also, on the subject of Crystal ships: in Vanilla it is possible to hit the beacon with any Crystal crew, so if you have unlocked the Crystal ship, you need only find the entry beacon in the Rock Homeworlds to re-visit the Hidden Crystal Sector (you don't have to go through all the usual headaches of finding the stasis pod and waking the guy up). I have been trying to get there for some time in CE because I wanted to see if there were any cool changes to the Hidden Crystal Worlds, but I haven't been able to find the beacon even though they are supposed to be more prevalent now in CE since as I understand it from the patch notes the beacon can be found in any Rock-Controlled Sector. Am I simply suffering from an extended bout of bad luck? I have been trying for weeks but then again I seem to hit fewer Rock sectors than I would normally expect due to the cool new CE kinds of sectors.

Lastly, a suggestion: When you hit a slave ship with Lvl 2 teleporters, you get a blue text option that seems to work basically like it does in vanilla (I've only had it happen about 4 or 5 times but I have always either received a free crewman, or not received one). Would it be possible for this option to also have a random result where you free the slaves and they take over the ship and pay you a medium reward without giving you a crewman? It just seems a little unlikely that whenever you get a slave from this conversation tree, he is always a former Federation soldier who instantly joins your crew. It seems more logical that sometimes you would rescue the slave and he would be grateful but wouldn't join your crew either (which is what happens sometimes with other slave events).

Similarly, when you accept the surrender of an AI (which is cool, by the way), it can lead to a variety of different outcomes, one of which involves the AI joining your crew as a hologram. As I said, this is cool, but it leads to some strangeness where you can sometimes be significantly hurt by accepting the surrender (the AI betrays it with some automatic shield-piercing hull damage, or the AI shuts down and you get nothing where you would have instead received a scrap reward for destroying it). However, if you do get a result of "free holographic crew" (pretty much the best result, although the AI can potentially scan the sector for you, which could be pretty helpful too), you have to -choose- whether to take the scrap reward or the free hologram. You can't get both even though logically there should still be some fuel/ordnance/scrap floating out there after you download your new crewperson. (This also doesn't line up well with the slave ship where you can potentially receive both the crew and the scrap reward if you kill all the enemy crew.) What this means is that since you can buy a hologram safely and cheaply for only 20 scrap at a store, you should basically never accept AI surrenders after -maybe- the first sector (after that you tend to be less desperate for crew and anyway the scrap reward you forego by taking the hologram is usually greater than what the hologram would cost to just buy from a store). Anyway the point is that logically it never makes sense to accept an AI surrender from what I have seen unless there are more possible outcomes that I still haven't hit yet (I have accepted dozens of AI surrenders and never experienced an outcome that delays the rebel fleet, though logically that would make a ton of sense so possibly it is in there and I have just never hit it). It just would feel a little un-CE if there is no possible mathematical outcome of accepting an AI surrender that is as good as the guaranteed result you get from sending it to Silicon Hell.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:32 am

You know, there might be a way of boosting the Crystal Vengeance: have it deal 1 ion damage as well. This way it can remain useful even in the end-game. You might want to change the projectyle model to an electrified purple crystal though (pruple so it fits both crystal ship colours).

On the Crystal artifact: I've found it multiple times on Rock-controlled sectors, but none while carrying a Crystallite. I'm not sure how it is currently, but I think it would be interesting if the Rock Homeworlds' entry beacon had a blue option for Crystallite crew to mark the crystal artifact with a quest marker. THis way Homeworlds will be a more sure bet than Controlled ones, as you'll have to look for it yourself in those ones, if there's any.

Cloudy has a point, it would be appropiate to have that teleport blue option have one/some extra outocmes like that. As to why you get more scrap if you don't force any ex-slave to join you in that outcome: they're all just so surprised at how good you are that they give you extra supplies from the slaver ship, which they will be taking for themselves (as would the rest if you took one slave).

I find the AI surrender pretty balanced. There's even an outcome where the auto-ship burns its CPU anyway to prevent its technology from falling in enemy hands, and you basically get the same rewards from destroying the ship, but without risking the extra damage before/spent ammo before doing so. It's true though that I would change a bit the flavour text for the no-reward-whatsoever outcome, saying something more believeable than "it just goes floating around". Not sure what though. As to why you don't get the scrap if it joins you, well, it wouldn't like to have its previous body desecrated. You agree to that.
Delphi

Postby Delphi » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:39 am

Hello Sleeper,

yesterday evening I encountered a bug. I was in a regular nebula sector (sector 2, called something like unidenfied nebula 12345). When I reached the exit beacon there was no event popup, although it was my first jump to it. Jumping into the next system (it was a green one, called glad core or happy core or something similar) the game crashed to Desktop.

I guess this might be related to when you explained that there was a dev comment about weird behavior at nebula exit beacons. I will test if this crash happens again when I try to exit nebula sectors.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:13 am

Also, sleepy, you should do a little revision on the Rock sectors' nomenclature. Namely, remove the "Factory" names that aren't closely related to stars or rocks (if not all of them) from the Controlled names, and remove the three "xxx xxx Sector" names, as there I don't think "Sector" should be in any Homeworlds name.

Also, I can't remember, but do Homeworlds and COntrolled sectors have different entry beacon texts? They should have, in any case.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:14 am

Delphi wrote:Hello Sleeper,

yesterday evening I encountered a bug. I was in a regular nebula sector (sector 2, called something like unidenfied nebula 12345). When I reached the exit beacon there was no event popup, although it was my first jump to it. Jumping into the next system (it was a green one, called glad core or happy core or something similar) the game crashed to Desktop.

I guess this might be related to when you explained that there was a dev comment about weird behavior at nebula exit beacons. I will test if this crash happens again when I try to exit nebula sectors.

Well then back to no events on nebula exit it is. Thanks for pointing that out.

Crystal Vengeance becomes more useful if you feature in the possibility to easily stack your ship with three of these via engineering. A 100% retaliation chance can come in handy against ships that otherwise might quickly wear you down. But the augment is still being rebalanced. It has to be featured in that enemies can use it against you as well...

The whole nature of AI surrenders was that they are highly unpredictable, that was changed to a point where they are also more tempting now. I'm in favour of that cause it sets these ships further apart. I don't want negotiating with a crude machine feel the same as negotiating with space pirates. But I'll look into that no scrap thing as well as these blue teleporter option outcomes.

A quick summary on the Crystal sector situation:
- Rock Homeworld will give you a blue option for crystal crew that will locate the ancient device
(like in vanilla? also currently bugged, calls the event instead of giving a quest beacon; this should result in direct VIP entry to the secret sector, yay!)
- Rock Homeworld does no longer automatically spawn the ancient device, it is only spawned when taking the blue option
- Any Rock controlled sectors have a small chance to spawn ancient devices in neutral events. These can be activated with crystal crew, but have a chance to not be functional. Your crystal crew does not know about these, so there is no blue at the starting beacon.
- Crystal Crew can also be acquired through a new event in the Hazard Sector

Fun fact: With the crystal cruiser and a sector map that has early rock sector and the home world later on, there is a incredibly slim possibility to go to the hidden crystal world two times in one run, resulting in massive bonus scrap and also usually low lvl crystal encounter, which might make them even deadlier... Also this might result in a crash, cause the crystal sector is still flagged as unique. :| Will be fixed.
Mr. Mister

Postby Mr. Mister » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:37 am

Actually, you could go through it once per rock controlled sector encounter as well. Incredibly slim chances though.

EDIT: You should also buff Rock Plating. Currently, at 15%, it is definitively not worth the 90 scrap to duplicate it. Try putting it at 23%., or at the very least 20%. Having three should reduce incoming damage by more than half.