Future fisrt person FTL?

General discussion about the game.
Brooks8314

Future fisrt person FTL?

Postby Brooks8314 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:23 am

I love FTL and am very excited about the Advanced. I was wonder if there could ever be a chance of a first person or 3d FTL later on. I would love being able to try and run the ship as the captain.
Kieve

Re: Future fisrt person FTL?

Postby Kieve » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:18 am

Brooks8314 wrote:I love FTL and am very excited about the Advanced. I was wonder if there could ever be a chance of a first person or 3d FTL later on. I would love being able to try and run the ship as the captain.

I'd be willing to bed the odds are practically nil, at least from Subset (Justin & Matt). I won't say never though, because using infinitives always gets me in trouble. :roll:
I will say that they made the game they intended to, it works beautifully (most of the time), and AE is giving them some opportunities to expand their ideas. Trying to translate that into "3D" seems mostly unnecessary, and you'd find the mechanics at work would feel vastly different from a 1st-person perspective. Also, an oft-overlooked point is that the ship is the real "character" of this game.
Brooks8314

Postby Brooks8314 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:56 am

I totally understand. I was thinking along the lines of the GTA series. It may be far off, but I love the games setup of having a single ship to command. The simplicity is what makes it great. I hope at least it gets to some sort of sandbox or open ended game. I would love the game to expand to worlds or factions and keep the simplicity. I just play the game so much I am hungry for new content. lol
SmoothPapaJ

Postby SmoothPapaJ » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:01 am

There's a Garry's Mod mode in the works that's pretty much first-person FTL. Doesn't seem to be any news about since the summer, when it was in pre-alpha, so hopefully it's still on the way:

http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1277720
Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:45 pm

I've seen many first person versions of IPs, but none were above the level of petty tries of milking money from players. Yes, I also think a AAA game can be made out of FTL but why first person? FTL is not an action game, nor does it sound promising to become a better shooter than the ones out there.

3D? Maybe. But I really prefer a beautifully and in detail pixelled version over that.

Such as this, and even better:
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:16 pm

Kieve wrote:I'd be willing to bed the odds are practically nil, at least from Subset (Justin & Matt). I won't say never though, because using infinitives always gets me in trouble. :roll:

Don't you mean infinitives USUALLY get you in trouble? :)
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:14 pm

mqstout wrote:
Kieve wrote:I'd be willing to bed the odds are practically nil, at least from Subset (Justin & Matt). I won't say never though, because using infinitives always gets me in trouble. :roll:

Shh, you'll spoil the joke! :lol:
(glad somebody caught that)
English Narwhal

Postby English Narwhal » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:51 am

My question is how would you make it first or third person?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:22 am

I want it in 2nd person.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
obliviondoll

Postby obliviondoll » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:11 pm

Kieve wrote:
mqstout wrote:

Shh, you'll spoil the joke! :lol:
(glad somebody caught that)

I thought he just proved you right :P