Random encounter results random?

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
CEO

Random encounter results random?

Postby CEO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Anyone know if random encounter results have more than one possible outcome? I have encountered the same random event twice (first playthough) which resulted in me losing a crew member each time. If that encounter always results in losing a crew member obviously you would learn quickly not to try it. However, if there was a chance of a positive result ...
geldonyetich

Re: Random encounter results random?

Postby geldonyetich » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:22 pm

Yes, just about every event you'll encounter has a number of different things that can happen at random. Your odds of a favorable outcome are improved (but not guarenteed) if you have something that gives you a blue option.
CEO

Postby CEO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:23 pm

My blue options tend to get taken away when the darn encounter kills alien crew ;)
azurereaver

Postby azurereaver » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:00 pm

yea, the events that kill your crew members sometimes give you a crew member instead (or other reward), so it isn't a matter of there being a right or wrong answer, it is a gamble each time. If you already HAVE a full crew though the right answer is usually to ignore the event rather than risk losing.

spoiler-ish:
Those damned giant spiders and the angry mantis in a pod almost always get me though ;)
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:03 pm

As you play with different systems on your vessel and with different aliens you may find that EVERY event will have at least ONE blue option.
CEO

Postby CEO » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Was the dang spiders both times.
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:55 pm

You might even get some blue options through augmentations you have as well. A Scrap Recovery Arm in events that give you a chance to mine asteroids is awesome!
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:45 pm

Darthcaboose wrote:You might even get some blue options through augmentations you have as well. A Scrap Recovery Arm in events that give you a chance to mine asteroids is awesome!

I did not know this excellent!
Venexis

Postby Venexis » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I do love the "Gamble" of random events, but i am not entirely sure the rewards of some are that good (although to be fair, at least they are something).

Ive done the giant spider event 7 times now, 5 of which i lost a crew member to those rabid eight legged freaks! The other 2, the rewards were just not worth the risk, a tiny bit of scrap and 1 missile/fuel. I keep trying to see if anything else crops up but as of right now, no luck.
icepick

Postby icepick » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:14 pm

Well the return is dependent on where the event is. :) Later sectors will give more scrap.

It's all luck. I always have success on that event. Lost a crew member once out of maybe 5-6 times.