FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
ZaiyaNyte

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby ZaiyaNyte » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:49 pm

I have a question about the expansion in itself. And if the answer is no, then a suggestion.

Will the hard requirement for the resolution be changed? If not, I'd really suggest that it was. I really like to play this game but it's ridiculously frustrating having to drag the game window around the screen any time I wanna play. And I've tried everything to increase my resolution to fit the hard requirement, but it doesn't work.
JonasTheRoman

Postby JonasTheRoman » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:27 am

[quote="ZaiyaNyte"]I have a question about the expansion in itself. And if the answer is no, then a suggestion.

Will the hard requirement for the resolution be changed? If not, I'd really suggest that it was. I really like to play this game but it's ridiculously frustrating having to drag the game window around the screen any time I wanna play. And I've tried everything to increase my resolution to fit the hard requirement, but it doesn't work.[/quote]

You can change the resolution in settings.ini in the Faster Than Light folder.
Set manual=1 and change the resolution to your will :) (It will be stretched to fit the desired resolution, if stretched=1)
karadoc

Postby karadoc » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:52 pm

I kind of like the idea of having a reliable way to unlock ships, so that players don't have to just hope that a ship-unlocking event shows up when they need it. But on the other hand, simply finishing the game is a very bland way to unlock stuff. If ships were unlocked by finishing the game, I worry that the game wouldn't feel as varied, because players could essentially just ignore side-goals and simply focus on doing the same thing every time they play (ie. winning). A lot of the flavour of the game could be lost.

Also, I think it's good to have some uncommon events and unlocks to look forward to when playing the game. When I first got FTL I played it a lot until everything was unlocked, and now that everything is unlocked I very rarely play it because I've got a sense that I've already seen everything there is to see in the game. If ships were easier to unlock, I don't think I would have played the game as much.
i6am6stu6

Postby i6am6stu6 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:52 pm

Why are you torturing us?! You said early 2014, what does that mean?! If a release date is too much to ask for, please give us Something! We are in the dark.. suffering with anticipation... Seriously though, a lot of people waiting on this, you gota give them something or you'll loose them. Even if things have been delayed, just let us know!
sign1000

Postby sign1000 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:00 am

What if we could toggle on/off the new way to get new FTL ships? It wouldn't be too hard, (I think) and it makes this whole conversation moot, pretty much.
da_chicken

Postby da_chicken » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:58 am

You know, I really think a poll that's posted only to the forums is exactly the wrong way to determine if this option is a good one.

Think about it. What kind of person is even going to see the post? If you're a gamer, you bought FTL, and got frustrated by the difficulty or found the unlocks too difficult or time consuming, why would you be hanging out on the FTL forums? I think you'd give up on the game, shelve it, write it off, and move on. On the other hand, people who like the game and stuck with it might come to the forums to find more information about the game, or just to talk about it. By posting this in the forums you're guaranteed that the majority of your respondents are people who like the game *as it is*. Your results are going to be grossly skewed toward your existing fanbase.

I will say that one streamer on twitch.tv (LethalFrag) played the game for *400 hours* and never unlocked the crystal ship. That seems absurdly excessive. He's the kind of gamer that refuses to mod games or use cheats of any kind, yet he eventually downloaded a trainer to unlock the crystal ship. Eventually he made it to the hidden sector about 50-100 hours later -- ironically on a run with the crystal ship as I recall -- but that's still the only time I'm aware of he ever made it there. It's like there's this content that you paid for that you just can't play because you haven't rolled 00 on your d% yet.
Gecimen

Postby Gecimen » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:24 pm

[quote="da_chicken"]I will say that one streamer on twitch.tv (LethalFrag) played the game for *400 hours* and never unlocked the crystal ship. That seems absurdly excessive. He's the kind of gamer that refuses to mod games or use cheats of any kind, yet he eventually downloaded a trainer to unlock the crystal ship. Eventually he made it to the hidden sector about 50-100 hours later -- ironically on a run with the crystal ship as I recall -- but that's still the only time I'm aware of he ever made it there. It's like there's this content that you paid for that you just can't play because you haven't rolled 00 on your d% yet.[/quote]

This is ridiculous. I've just bought the game and crystal cruiser was the 2nd quest ship I've unlocked, even before beating the game. Note that you don't even need rock cruiser anymore. AND I've got the damaged pod thingie 2 times more without knowing what it was. The crystal cruiser unlock, probably with the latest patches, is the most common random event of all.

Anyways, FTL becoming more welcoming to new players sounds very good. More options to unlock stuff? Yes. Beating the game with all the ships isn't that easy anyways; but I hate the sound off making the final boss easier.... I love the toughness level of EASY and the boss is an easy challenge anyways... Why make it even easier? Right now if you're going for a boarding/ion setup, an automated rebel ship on sector 8 will give you a harder time than the boss.
Tarantulo

Postby Tarantulo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:29 pm

I love how difficult is to unlock ships, it keeps me coming back to the game. Again an again. Finishing the game should not give a ship as a reward. You could add stars to type of ship, the one you beat the boss with.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:42 pm

I think that you should keep ship unlocks the same except for crystal. You should do Crystal unlock by beating the game with 1 type of every other ship.
Vallyen

Postby Vallyen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:10 pm

The developers doesnt seem to respond to us by giving a release date/info why they didnt give a release date yet. Im starting to suspect that they might be dead. Why else would they not respond? WHY?
(Sorry if i sound too upset, i just want any kind of information)