Suggestion: FTL - The Card Game

General discussion about the game.
curithwin

Suggestion: FTL - The Card Game

Postby curithwin » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:33 pm

I have just been mulling around an idea that FTL would make an EXCELLENT card game. A little like Munchkin if you would, but there could be a single player FTL game as in the game presently and a Multi-player version that is set AFTER the game.

I have worked out a few details, but not too deeply.
ice

Re: Suggestion: FTL - The Card Game

Postby ice » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:54 pm

Sounds like a great idea, but it might be hard with all the things going on simultaneously, such as energy, shields and weapons powering up, crew running around and repairing, melee fights, random chance...
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Darthcaboose

Postby Darthcaboose » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:57 am

I can see it now:

"Okay, I play my Engi super-repair card to increase the status of the damaged systems by 1 point, and use my cloaking to increase my dodge initiative roll by 2 in order to avoid taking 3 points of hull damage from the hull missile which has a 4-turn recharge timer."

Eugh...
Lestibournes

Postby Lestibournes » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 am

Sounds interesting.
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:09 am

It would be appropriate to turn FTL into a board game since that's where the original inspiration came from. It would definitely be a board game, not a card game. You need the ship board and player tokens!

But game designers far more brilliant than us have made ship simulations: Battlestar Galactica, Red November (technically a submarine, but if you like FTL you'll like Red November), Space Alert, and Galaxy Truckers. The latter two we only discovered a year into development and were blown away. Battlestar Galactica and Space Alert are must owns for anyone who likes board games.
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
curithwin

Postby curithwin » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 am

That's great. I'll have a look, Zasdarq.