FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Official posts about the development of the game.
UristMcGuffin

Re: FTL: Advanced Edition - Ship Unlock Poll

Postby UristMcGuffin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:07 am

YES! YES! YES! FTL IS GETTING AN UPDATE!!! MY FAVORITE GAME IS GETTING AN UPDATE!!! THIS MAKES ME SO HAPPY!!!
Scalinger2

Postby Scalinger2 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:19 pm

To unlock all the ships with the old way, I just kept it on easy and did speed runs. I could have done it more legit and did it on normal with very comprehensive runs, but I wanted to unlock all the ships really quick to try out their effectiveness. This led to me getting tired of the game quickly because I was constantly running through it like it meant nothing. I was never able to unlock the crystal ship because of the reasons commonly known, that it would take an extremely long time. That would consist of a million speed runs and, as I said, the speed runs are what kill the game.

I do feel that the supplementary method of beating the game to unlock ships would be good for the game.
Teoes

Postby Teoes » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:47 pm

The suggestion sounds fantastic. No-one loses the old method of doing things; those that want it get an alternative. Win-win.

Can I also state please that I will not accept getting the advanced edition for free? I will insist of getting more money to you guys somehow!
Tarsellis

Postby Tarsellis » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:01 am

I'm a little late to the party here, but here's my two cents.

I think just beating the game with the ship to unlock the next feels too easy. It was difficult, and a little frustrating the old way, but it was satisfying. I do agree with an alternate way that makes it a bit easier. Perhaps having achievement A or B AND beating the game with the ship?

I also agree, make the Crystal ship a bit easier (well, less luck of the roll of the universe, or maybe a target mode that greatly enhances getting a viable universe rolled), but not part of the normal path.

The mentioned idea of B type ships are only unlocked the old, or a (slightly?) more difficult way seems like a decent idea to me as well.

On a side not, YAY for update! I'm definitely looking forward to the new mechanics to be added, especially with the mod system and how we'll be able to take advantage of them.
Especially for free. I actually came by to see if there was any sequel or new project in the works. I'd have been glad to toss some more money at the team. (Actually, I bought a second (third or fourth if you count Humble Bundles) to give to my brother or a friend while you had it at 66% off, this is one of my all time favorite games, and I wasn't risking not getting the update).
Boomboofer

Postby Boomboofer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:25 pm

In my opinion, the ships aren't too hard to unlock as it is and this kind of update might make them it too easy, EXCEPT for the crystal ship, which I unlocked on about my hundredth run and in my opinion might be a little too hard get as is.

I think It's fine to nerf the boss on normal and I also completely agree on splette's on opinion: I have played about a hundred games, unlocked all ships except Crystal B and am still not bored. That is because the games are so different due to their randomness, BUT the final boss has the same face every time. I know his tactics and timings of his drones and weapons completely so I know exactly what equipment I need and what to do, find him kinda boring and win every time. Please add some kind of randomness factor to the boss. I once thought of making a mod which would give the boss 11 random crew members (not lore-friendly, I know), pick 4 weapons at random out of the 4 standard weapons (so that The boss could have e.g. 4xBoss lasers, if you were unlucky) and random drones requiring a total of eight power on second stage (e.g. four boarding drones would be possible). I think something along these lines would be an awesome addition to the game. Thank you if you read this.
daleadil

Postby daleadil » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:55 am

I love the idea.

Although I don't think all the extra data is absolutely necessary.
A_N00B

Postby A_N00B » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:04 pm

one quick question, will this change the method of unlocking the "B" variont of each ship?
mqstout

Postby mqstout » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:01 pm

I don't like that the ships are given an order/precedence with this. I'd rather the player be able to choose (except Crystal).

Also, instead of requiring beating the boss (which, IMHO, is easy enough on easy), maybe go for "cumulative number of sectors passed", reach some numberic goal, unlock the next ship [of your choice].

Ie,
Warp from sector 1 to sector 2, get 1 point.
Warp from sector 2 to sector 3, get 3 points.
Warp from sector 3 to sector 4, get 7 points.
4 -> 5 = 11; 5 -> 6 = 17; 6 -> 7 = 23; 7 -> 8 = 30
Boss beat = 38.
Formula: round(sector completed ^ 1.75)

Once you accumulate N points (might increase at some rate), you can unlock the next ship you haven't (or, again, I'd prefer of your choice).

The benefits of this: Instead of having to make the boss easier [even on easy], the player would earn cumulative reward points for "completing" sectors and playing the game through. Over time, they would unlock things. Even if they've yet been able to beat the boss.

Or, go with something you already track for achievements (cumulative scrap collected perhaps).
Spiderbox

Postby Spiderbox » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:31 pm

You have adressed this but when you impliment this how will it become avalible to players will i have to puchase the game again or will it come in an update i puchased FTL in the humble indi bundle
yomer123123

Postby yomer123123 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:18 am

I really like this idea! It's so much better then how it works right now. But I don't want to be able to get a ship from easy mode... It's too easy!

Speaking on difficulty... Will you add a hard opition? I have already beaten the game with all ships on normal mode!