Lots of problems with running 2 or more screens.

General discussion about the game.
Sacarathe

Lots of problems with running 2 or more screens.

Postby Sacarathe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:10 pm

I am currently playing the game on a 1920x1080 screen, the display is extended to the right onto 1680x1050.

I play the game with the screen stretched to fullscreen, this causes all the windows on my desktop to shift towards the other screen each time the game is maximised/minimised, each time they move about 1/5 of the screen width, this is especially problematic when trying to run VLC player on the other monitor, when the VLC is fullscreen half the picture is lost, and i've had to run it in windowed mode, but each time i minimise i have to move that window about 20-30 cm to the left.

In typing this i realise that if i used black borders or ran the game in a window i wouldnt have this problem, but i do wonder if there is an easy fix for making the game stick to its OWN SCREEN when running stretched fullscreen.

PS The game itself functions perfectly, and i've not a had crash yet.

I understand why the other windows are being forced to move, but i would like to know if the devs can change something to prevent this happening. It is especially annoying if the other screen is turned off.

Windows+shift+ <-/-> cursor keys is known to me for retrieving a window from screens which are off. :)
Sacarathe

Re: Lots of problems with running 2 or more screens.

Postby Sacarathe » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Also, bug, double-clicking in the options menu causes the volume sliders to move :S
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:03 am

I'll look into it but I have no promises regarding a fix, sorry! I always play windowed mode personally, it's what the game was intended to be... a game to play while procrastinating other things :)
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Matthew
Site Admin

Postby Matthew » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:04 am

I've fixed the mystery sound volume sliding on my end, but thanks for reporting it!
Matthew Davis, Subset Games Developer - If you're looking for tech support, you'll get help faster emailing directly, contact info here
Sacarathe

Postby Sacarathe » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 pm

zasdarq wrote:I'll look into it but I have no promises regarding a fix, sorry! I always play windowed mode personally, it's what the game was intended to be... a game to play while procrastinating other things :)

That explains the lowered resolution, myself i am really put off by windowed games because i can see other colours around the screen, though this is more due to disability than lack of tolerance. Is there a way/chance of getting full screen window stretched or not ? like guild wars, wow, starcraft, diablo 3.
Sowarm

Postby Sowarm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:31 pm

I'll look into it but I have no promises regarding a fix, sorry! I always play windowed mode personally, it's what the game was intended to be... a game to play while procrastinating other things :)

Would there be a way to change windowed screen resolution?

I'm having the same problem as the OP when going full screen, but unlike him i dont mind playing in windowed mode. However, i find the original resolution too small, i just cant see sh*t.

I tried to change the resolution settings in the .ini file to force the window size at 1920x1080, but this doesn't seems to change anything. Any tip on that?

PS: I dont care about the game being distorted, i just 'need' it to take the whole screen.
PS2: Great game ;)
ice

Postby ice » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:12 pm

Sowarm wrote:

Would there be a way to change windowed screen resolution?

I'm having the same problem as the OP when going full screen, but unlike him i dont mind playing in windowed mode. However, i find the original resolution too small, i just cant see sh*t.

I tried to change the resolution settings in the .ini file to force the window size at 1920x1080, but this doesn't seems to change anything. Any tip on that?

PS: I dont care about the game being distorted, i just 'need' it to take the whole screen.
PS2: Great game ;)

Protip: You can change the font size with the + and - keys :D
Should really be in the tutorial or something

(Although on my scandinavian layout, I lower font size with + and increase it with the ´ key...)
I always have this great idea to post about when reading a thread, but I always seem to loose the subject while writing a reply, and end up not saying anything at all. I should sleep more. Is that a cookie?
Sowarm

Postby Sowarm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks for the tip, but i'm afraid that's not the solution i'm looking for :)
Unlucky Scarecrow

Postby Unlucky Scarecrow » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:34 pm

You want to switch your primary and secondary monitors around.

Windows and such on your desktop know their position on the screen by how many pixels away then are from the top left corner of the primary monitor. When a fullscreen game loads, it usually loads on the primary monitor, and it sets the monitor resolution to what it wants to be able to run. But if the games resolution is different from the monitors resolution, the visible length of each pixel on the screen will get stretched to be bigger (or smaller, depending), and everything will be pushed over. So if you set your primary monitor to be on the right, if the size changes from a game becoming fullscreen then nothing on the left monitor will shift, because they know their spot in relation to that corner of the primary monitor and none of the pixels between them and that corner get resized.

As for how to set this, it varies between operating systems and display drivers. It should look something like the attachment.
Sowarm

Postby Sowarm » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:52 pm

Wow didn't knew that, thanks for the very useful piece of information here.