The difficulty curve needs work

General discussion about the game.
Sycraft

The difficulty curve needs work

Postby Sycraft » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Because as it stands it isn't so much a "curve" as a "wall". On easy it is fairly easy right up to the last sector... at which point it is impossible. The rebel ships destroy me with ease, never mind getting to the boss. Well that really isn't a good difficulty setup. If the last level is to be that difficult, I should be having trouble at the one right before it.

Also this really doesn't qualify as easy as it stands. Easy should be just that. I'm all good with variable difficulty but on easy it just shouldn't be all that hard to succeed.

The difficulty curve, or lack there of, is really the only big issue I see with the game at this point.
Gorlom

Re: The difficulty curve needs work

Postby Gorlom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:49 pm

It's fine. You just need to follow the learning curve instead of the difficult curve :p
Fawkes

Postby Fawkes » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 pm

I feel like it's more the randomness than difficulty. I know what weapons and upgrades I want, but whether I'll be able to find/afford them all or not doesn't seem to be something I have much say in.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 pm

Fawkes wrote:I feel like it's more the randomness than difficulty. I know what weapons and upgrades I want, but whether I'll be able to find/afford them all or not doesn't seem to be something I have much say in.

Welcome to roguelikes. :)
True it's fake difficulty, but that's part of its charm. You aren't supposed to always be able to complete every run. There is no perfect way to play the game. It's all random and all fun :)
Watashiii

Postby Watashiii » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:32 pm

True, but we do live in a post y2k gaming world where randomness usually means different options and not "anything from piece of cake to downright impossible". But that's just a pet peeve. I like this crazy randomness in a way :)
Acid_Trees

Postby Acid_Trees » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:02 am

Sycraft wrote:Because as it stands it isn't so much a "curve" as a "wall". On easy it is fairly easy right up to the last sector... at which point it is impossible. The rebel ships destroy me with ease, never mind getting to the boss. Well that really isn't a good difficulty setup. If the last level is to be that difficult, I should be having trouble at the one right before it.

Also this really doesn't qualify as easy as it stands. Easy should be just that. I'm all good with variable difficulty but on easy it just shouldn't be all that hard to succeed.

The difficulty curve, or lack there of, is really the only big issue I see with the game at this point.

I haven't played easy difficulty-- what is it that makes the ships so hard at sector 8?
zell_man

Postby zell_man » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:07 am

Sycraft wrote:Because as it stands it isn't so much a "curve" as a "wall". On easy it is fairly easy right up to the last sector... at which point it is impossible. The rebel ships destroy me with ease, never mind getting to the boss. Well that really isn't a good difficulty setup. If the last level is to be that difficult, I should be having trouble at the one right before it.

Holy Crap! You aren't kidding. I just finally made it to sector 8 for the first time, and the spike in enemy difficulty is incredible! Enemy ships with 4 shields, missiles, boarding parties, AND more than double the health of my most difficulty enemy in the previous 7 sectors...

Guess, the only way to win is to get really lucky early on with cash and equipment.
Gorlom

Postby Gorlom » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:09 am

Acid_Trees wrote:

I haven't played easy difficulty-- what is it that makes the ships so hard at sector 8?

Possibly an extra shield bubble? Most likely the reason for that being suddenly "impossible hard" would be that the player has rushed through the game to sector 8 instead of exploring as much as possible to get the maximum amount of scraps and upgrades and weapons. :?
The player needs to follow the learning curve and figure out the tips and tricks such as hitting as many nodes as possible before jumping.
That killing the crew gives more scrap then destroying the ship
That you shouldn't trust black market traders.
fall_ark

Postby fall_ark » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:34 am

Gorlom wrote:Possibly an extra shield bubble? Most likely the reason for that being suddenly "impossible hard" would be that the player has rushed through the game to sector 8 instead of exploring as much as possible to get the maximum amount of scraps and upgrades and weapons. :?
The player needs to follow the learning curve and figure out the tips and tricks such as hitting as many nodes as possible before jumping.

I guess players just intuitively think that a game titled "Faster Than Light" would require you go faster. And the "head to the exit beacon as soon as possible!" at every new game doesn't help either. :lol: Heeding that advice would be very unproductive.
You can post images in signature?
Acid_Trees

Postby Acid_Trees » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:05 am

Gorlom wrote:
Acid_Trees wrote:

Possibly an extra shield bubble? Most likely the reason for that being suddenly "impossible hard" would be that the player has rushed through the game to sector 8 instead of exploring as much as possible to get the maximum amount of scraps and upgrades and weapons. :?

Well, the reason I ask is because there's very little difference between sector 7 and 8 on normal. Ships on 8 are harder, but if you're blowing through sector 7 it shouldn't be noticeable. The only exception I'd give is for the automated drones, with 5 shield points and some stupidly high evade chance along with being almost unboardable it's just never fun to fight them.