[SHIP] The Dynalium

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Terminus

[SHIP] The Dynalium

Postby Terminus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:37 pm

So about 2 weeks ago I started learning to Mod FTL. I wanted to have a specific playable ship, but since the Mod didn't exist I just decided to go ahead and make it myself.
The Ship in question is the final form of the Patrol Cruiser from the Spectrobes games. It replaces the Federation B layout because it has the Artillery beam, which is supposed to represent the Dynalium device used in Spectrobes 2 (It's a kind of super-laser).

Crew: 1 Human, 1 Engi. The Human is supposed to represent the protagonist, Rallen, and the Engi represents his partner, Jeena, who is very skilled with technology.

Systems:
Level 1 Pilot
Level 1 Medbay
Level 2 Sensors
Level 1 Shields (2 power bars)
Level 2 Oxygen
Level 3 Engines
Level 1 Doors
Level 2 Artillery Beam
Level 4 Weapons
7 Reactor Power

Weapons:
Burst Laser II
Pike Beam

Screencaps:

Works with Slipstream Mod Manager, made with Superluminal with advice from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A31U0CtvU0w.

I don't like how the Gibs ended up looking, if someone wants to collaborate with me and design better ones I'd love it.

V 1.0
http://depositfiles.com/files/k61pzuzu8

V 1.1 (Fixed interior, more balancing)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zbj21 ... nalium.ftl

V1.2 (Artillery Beam fixed, Miniship image properly sized)
http://www.mediafire.com/?z6fn0si6g26oy55
Last edited by Terminus on Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Terminus

Re: [SHIP] The Dynalium

Postby Terminus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 am

OK I did a quick test for any major bugs and I found a few issues.

1. The Artillery Beam fires from some random point above the ship.
2. The glow for the Engine Room is not where the console actually is.
3. The wrong Artillery Room image was used, resulting in the graphic becoming smooshed.
4. The ship death doesn't look right to me, but I'd love some input from you guys! :D

Broken Artillery

Broken Ship

I was able to survive for a while during my actual playthrough, but I'm not a good judge on it's power. Does anyone think something major needs to be changed?
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:27 am

Terminus wrote:OK I did a quick test for any major bugs and I found a few issues.

I was able to survive for a while during my actual playthrough, but I'm not a good judge on it's power. Does anyone think something major needs to be changed?

I'm going to give it a shot now but really quick... For the artillery beam, place a 5th weapon on your ship where you want the beam to be. I *think* you have to face it forward and one of the options has to be "no" but my memories of it are hazy. You have to make it the 5th weapon, though, even if your ship only has 3 weapons (which yours doesn't, but anyway...)
Last edited by 5thHorseman on Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
Terminus

Postby Terminus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:30 am

5thHorseman wrote:
Terminus wrote:OK I did a quick test for any major bugs and I found a few issues.

I'm going to give it a shot now but really quick... For the artillery beam, place a 5th weapon on your ship where you want the beam to be. I *think* you have to face it forward and one of the options has to be "no" but my memories of it are hazy. You have to make it the 5th weapon, though, even if your ship only has 3 weapons (which yours doesn't, but anyway...)

Alright, as soon as I have some rest I'll give that a shot, see if it fixes that issue. Thanks! :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:32 am

Also, Depositfiles is crap. Use ... anything else. :) I think people like Mediafire.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Terminus

Postby Terminus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:39 am

5thHorseman wrote:Also, Depositfiles is crap. Use ... anything else. :) I think people like Mediafire.

Alright, when I update the .ftl I'll change the download link too!
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:11 am

I played the ship. I liked the middle parts and the options for airing out the bad guys who teleported on.

I found it pretty easy. I spent the first half of sector 1 just buying power for all those systems and even got my shields up before sector 2, where I easily got my 4th engine.

I wasn't fully upgraded when I met the final boss, but I had spent hundreds of scrap on useless buffer upgrades. I had 4 shields, full engine, and nothing that could get to level 8 was less than level 7. I still had the BL2 you gave me and also had an Ion 2 gifted to me somewhere along the way, and those plus my full artillery beam made me almost forget that I didn't have a defense drone, teleporter, OR cloak. Almost :)

I can't comment on the gibs. I didn't see 'em 8-)

If you're looking to make it harder, I say cut out the extra levels on stuff and make us buy 'em. I'd say start with 2 shield, 1 or 2 engine, and 1 each scanner, o2, and artillery beam. The BL2/Pike combo is intrinsically better than the Kestrel's loadout and we're getting a free beam as well. I'd also consider ditching both augments. One (LRS) is one of the best in the game and isn't NEEDED so you should make us find one. The other is just free scrap because I sold it the first chance I could.

You probably don't have to do all of that, but you should try some of it :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

Terminus

Postby Terminus » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:30 pm

5thHorseman wrote:I played the ship. I liked the middle parts and the options for airing out the bad guys who teleported on.

I found it pretty easy. I spent the first half of sector 1 just buying power for all those systems and even got my shields up before sector 2, where I easily got my 4th engine.

I wasn't fully upgraded when I met the final boss, but I had spent hundreds of scrap on useless buffer upgrades. I had 4 shields, full engine, and nothing that could get to level 8 was less than level 7. I still had the BL2 you gave me and also had an Ion 2 gifted to me somewhere along the way, and those plus my full artillery beam made me almost forget that I didn't have a defense drone, teleporter, OR cloak. Almost :)

I can't comment on the gibs. I didn't see 'em 8-)

If you're looking to make it harder, I say cut out the extra levels on stuff and make us buy 'em. I'd say start with 2 shield, 1 or 2 engine, and 1 each scanner, o2, and artillery beam. The BL2/Pike combo is intrinsically better than the Kestrel's loadout and we're getting a free beam as well. I'd also consider ditching both augments. One (LRS) is one of the best in the game and isn't NEEDED so you should make us find one. The other is just free scrap because I sold it the first chance I could.

You probably don't have to do all of that, but you should try some of it :)

I took your suggestions, and was able to fix most of the bugs. The fifth weapon mount didn't work, so if someone has any experience with the Artillery Beam, I'd love some help.

Updated link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zbj21 ... nalium.ftl
Terminus

Postby Terminus » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:39 am

I was able to get the beam working with 5thhorseman's suggestion, Image included:

[url=http://puu.sh/4GZLh.jpg]Image[/url]

New DL link: http://www.mediafire.com/?z6fn0si6g26oy55
Krimsun

Postby Krimsun » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:11 am

i've played the game, this is just awesome