[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DrkTemplar

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby DrkTemplar » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Pelia wrote:I have been playing in a Kessie-B for a few sectors by now. It is a fine experience, never before I thought a good engine and cloak can make such a huge difference in defence. But the Pirate battleship is so irritating! It has absolutely no weakness! Yes, I can avoid the ion drone and the vast ammount of laser shots well. But the defense II drone is making me go nuts as all I have is 3 Mk I lasers and Crystal Burst. I keep aiming at drone control in hope of getting through, but it's no good. It barely gets to the last shield layer. Basically, my fight with it is a constant stalemate. Is it just my inferior weaponry or someone else has a feeling that the DEF drone is a nuisance?

I'm only glad that I'm not getting boarded at any time for some reason, even though I can see 2 crystal guys standing in battleship's teleport room. They just stand there.

In Infinite Space it is possible that any one setup wouldn't be able to defeat every ship that exists. The idea was to create an environment where running from certain ships was always necessary. Forcing players to need repairs/rearm/retreat even when they had maxed out their ship. Otherwise a maxed out ship would just get boring. However if no one can defeat this Pirate battleship, that's a problem. I certainly don't want an unbeatable scenario. I know many players, like myself, tend to find a setup they like and stick with it. If that setup works for other battleships, I say stick with it, and just run when you see the Pirate battleship.

Also, have you found the Advanced Weapons yet? If you haven't, it's possible just upgrading your setup with the Advanced weapons might be enough to defeat this ship. If you haven't, to begin this process you need to defeat a sector mini boss. When doing this, sometimes you will get an event to fight a stronger ship that will be marked on your map. These stronger ships can drop Advanced weapons. Hunting down Advanced weapons to fit your ship is essentially end game for IS mod.

EDIT: npc's standing on the teleporter is something I've never figured out. It seems if I reduce the number of npcs on a ship that sometimes fixes the problem. Maybe another modder knows the answer to this one.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:41 am

@DrkTemplar
Some time ago I've released a framework mod of sorts to allow multiple ships modifying the starting beacon to work with each other.

Though it'll break if a mod you load after it overwrites the <startEvent> of the first sector...
And, of course, only mods that implement the framework will work with it. But I guess it's better than the current state where each mod invalidates the previous.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
fundeath712

Postby fundeath712 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:15 pm

I'm so incredibly happy you're continuing to update this. Do you have a donation link? Because I want you to Image
Mizzick

Postby Mizzick » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:48 pm

I just want to say this is by far my favourite mod. Mind you, I haven't played many. I just like how this adds replay without being too crazy or messing up the vanilla game. I haven't played much yet, but it seems pretty sweet so far. Did you up the difficulty? I tried playing on easy and it's definitely harder than vanilla.

One thing I wish this mod could have that would make it a truly complete rougelike experience... If there was a counter for how far in the game you have been. I want to see how far I've gone.. How deep into the dungeon. I mean how many levels I've played.

Anyway, Nice mod.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:04 am

Mizzick wrote:One thing I wish this mod could have that would make it a truly complete rougelike experience...
If there was a counter for how far in the game you have been.

I'm afraid you'll need to switch to Desert Bus for that. :P
Mizzick

Postby Mizzick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:10 am

omg i just googled dessert bus.. lmao! why do people enjoy pain?
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:36 am

Mizzick wrote:omg i just googled dessert bus.. lmao! why do people enjoy pain?

I know that the Desert Bus for Hope plays it for around a week straight each year to raise money for the charity Child's Play, but even that started because people enjoy doing crazy stuff.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:13 am

@ kartoFlane, using your framework makes it so multiple mods can alter the start event?

@fundeath712, sorry no donation link, you'll just have to keep your money :o

@ Mizzick, I don't believe there is a way to do this with the current modding capabilities.
Mizzick

Postby Mizzick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:58 am

Still, this is awesome. lol. I should really go to bed..

I downloaded an Enterprise mod and coupled with your mod it's soo sweet, lol. It's like I'm exploring space and a little bit easier, because the ship is OP.

I just died after third sector. :( That is the furthest I've been heheh, but I land on pretty much every location and some of the ships are radicchio.

Okay I'm done gushing now. I just discovered mods and I'm super pumped.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:01 am

@DrkTemplar
Yup, without overwriting each other, as long as you (or someone else) don't botch anything along the way, like forgetting to load a chained start event.

In case of IS, you'd have to chain-load the start event:

Code: Select all

<mod:findName type="event" name="START_GAME_BEACON">
  <mod:setAttributes name="INF_SPACE_START_GAME_BEACON" />
</mod:findName>

<event name="START_GAME_BEACON">
  <text>Welcome to Infinite Space!</text>
  <modifyPursuit amount="-100000"/> <!-- not sure if actions can be outside of choice/event tags... -->
  <choice>
    <text>Continue...</text>
    <event load="INF_SPACE_START_GAME_BEACON" />
  </choice>
</event>
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL