[MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
DrkTemplar

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL Infinite Space

Postby DrkTemplar » Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:03 pm

I was hoping for some kind of feedback on this build. I wasn't sure if the mod was worth continuing. I received over 1300 downloads, so somebody is using it, lol.

Mainly looking for crashes. Thanks!
Finarous

Postby Finarous » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:37 am

Hi, I've brought this issue up before to no avail, so I'll try again.Whenever I attempt to validate the mod in the mod manager it says theres a problem and presents me this piece of techno jargon:

ERROR: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 909, in validate_mod
mod_zip = zf.ZipFile(mod_path, "r")
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 714, in __init__
self._GetContents()
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 748, in _GetContents
self._RealGetContents()
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 781, in _RealGetContents
fp.seek(self.start_dir, 0)
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I have no idea what this means, if there is a fix, or if the Engi are just angry at me. If anyone can help me please do so, this mod is a great concept.
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:16 am

Well, I appreciate your work, but as you went non-CE integrated way, I just lost interest. Too much content to drop, CE feels like extension patch, already - never leave my activated directory.

/Estel
dalolorn

Postby dalolorn » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:01 am

Finarous wrote:Hi, I've brought this issue up before to no avail, so I'll try again.Whenever I attempt to validate the mod in the mod manager it says theres a problem and presents me this piece of techno jargon:

ERROR: [Errno 22] Invalid argument
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 909, in validate_mod
mod_zip = zf.ZipFile(mod_path, "r")
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 714, in __init__
self._GetContents()
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 748, in _GetContents
self._RealGetContents()
File "C:\Python27\lib\zipfile.py", line 781, in _RealGetContents
fp.seek(self.start_dir, 0)
IOError: [Errno 22] Invalid argument

I have no idea what this means, if there is a fix, or if the Engi are just angry at me. If anyone can help me please do so, this mod is a great concept.

Python seems to be acting up, there's very little you can do other than updating, I think. You're better off with Slipstream instead of GMM, though.

Estel wrote:Well, I appreciate your work, but as you went non-CE integrated way, I just lost interest. Too much content to drop, CE feels like extension patch, already - never leave my activated directory.

/Estel

As far as I can tell, he's still working on getting the basic mod up and running. That said, I think SMM's new functionality could be used to make a sort of 'IS+' patch file to be loaded after both CE and IS.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:09 am

@Estel
While I agree that CE has grown to be pretty remarkable, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to completely drop all other mods simply because they're not compatible with CE...

dalolorn wrote:As far as I can tell, he's still working on getting the basic mod up and running. That said, I think SMM's new functionality could be used to make a sort of 'IS+' patch file to be loaded after both CE and IS.

Definitely possible. Though I'm afraid some content will still be lost, simply due to the fact that CE mostly adds stuff to non-crystal sectors.

edit:
@DrkTemplar
Found some errors using my error checker (also found yet another bug which would prevent it from working...):

autoBlueprints.xml:
  • Several ships are using the "SYSTEM_CASTING" augment - typo'd name
  • Line 1285 - ZOLTAN_PEACE ship - <engines power="1" mroom="0" />
events.xml:
  • Line 3881 - INF_SHIP_ZOLTAN_DISABLE event - <ship load="INF_SHIP_ZOLTAN_DISABLE" hostile="true" /> - shipEvent does not exist
  • Line 4141 - INF_WPTY_MANTIS_ARENA_FOLLOW event - text is too long (525 chars, where 512 is supposed max) - I'm still not sure if this is a real thing, however
sector_data.xml
  • Line 637 - CRYSTAL_HOME sector - <event name="INF_BOARDING" min="1" ma="2" />
Also several loops in events.xml and events_ships.xml, but I suppose shipEvents do not count towards loops... This would need to be tested.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Estel

Postby Estel » Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:53 pm

kartoFlane wrote:@Estel
While I agree that CE has grown to be pretty remarkable, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to completely drop all other mods simply because they're not compatible with CE...

you're, probably, right - but, despite being passionate tweaker, when I sit to FTL, I don't want to spend ~hour every time I want to try something different, just for confirming mod's compatibility. Usually, I spend *many* hours *ONCE*, to create my mod set from available things, and I keep it that way, just updating and installing new things *if* I'm ensured, that it's compatible with my modset of choice.

Now, as I expressed many times earlier, CE - at least for me, personally - become de facto unofficial patch. That's why I'm only interested in new mods that are compatible with CE (like SM polish kit), either naturally, or due author taking care of it.

Of course, if IS will get IS+ able to sanely use new assets from CE, the better, and I'll gladly jump into bandwagon. currently, playing it from vanilla game feels... Limited, to say at least. Losing all the new, nicely balanced assets from CE, takes much fun away.

/Estel
Last edited by Estel on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I love CE. The graphical HUD & AI comments are beautiful. The new, quirky events and cute sector names are awesome. Weapons graphics are awesome.

Its not the end-all be all, however.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:27 pm

@kartoFlane, Thanks for your help. I fixed the mentioned errors.

@Estel, I don't know if Infinite Space will ever merge in the content from CE. I had originally wanted to do it in a layered fashion that would allow CE to continue to develop without having to update IS. Essentially I would just load any new events into the crystal sector, and use the IS End Beacon event to loop sectors. Any new events added to CE wouldn't show up in the redefined crystal sector, but the thought was it should still work. This method would really make IS a mod of a mod, if you will. It would also mean IS as a stand alone would be gone, or at the very least a separate mod.

Considering how infrequent my updates have become, I think it's best to just try and get IS to a functional state, and mark it done. Since CE is a collection of mods, at that point I would still have the possibility of integrating those mods (likely one at a time) into IS. However, I wouldn't count on it. I do appreciate your feedback and suggestion to merge the mods. I also understand you prefer to play with CE, and that's great! IS isn't for everyone, that's for sure.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:24 am

Your efforts and updates are appreciated DrkTemplar. IS is probably the best known and over time the most popular mod. Almost everyday someone learns that it's not compatible with the latest version, so any progress would be very welcome.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:10 pm

@UltraMantis, the latest version should be compatible now.