I play FTL with the Torus - Tipps are very much appreciated!

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
Tantares

Re: I play FTL with the Torus - Tipps are very much apprecia

Postby Tantares » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Hey everyone!

Gordon needs your help. He's in the last sector and with desperate need for a strategy for upcoming boss. He lost he's boarding crew (2 rocks and a mantis) so boarding is out of the league.
GordonOverkill

Postby GordonOverkill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:41 pm

Big thanks for your support, Tantares, and also for the hints on youtube! The "Speed Metal" desperately needs some help right now, otherwise their adventures might lead to a sad ending.

I you want to see me failing badly, here's the new episode:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go_jx8Uz0BY&feature=youtu.be
GordonOverkill

Postby GordonOverkill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:45 pm

To make it a little easier for you, I have made a list of the Speed Metal's current equipment and status:

Let's see, I have...

Shield: 8 (max)
Engines: 5
Oxygen: 1
Weapon Control: 6
Drone Control: 4
Medbay: 1
Crew Teleporter: 1
Cloaking: 1
-----
Piloting: 1
Sensors: 2
Door System: 2
-----
Power Bars: 19
-----
Weapons:
Ion Bomb
Ion Blast II
Burst Laser II
Hermes Missile
Hull Beam
-----
Drones:
Defense I
-----
Augmentations:
Automated Re-Loader
Engi Med-bot Dispersal
Shield Charge Booster
-----
Crew:
Engi with maxed weapons and improved repair
Engi with maxed engines and maxed repair
Human with maxed piloting
-----
Hull is completely repaired
-----
With full enginges: evade 45%
-----
Fuel: 24
Missiles: 19
Drone Parts: 11
-----
Scrap: 89
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 pm

Episode 6:
First battle, you could probably have just ioned down his shield, defense droned (most of) his missiles, and allowed the rocks to tear him apart. I have dodgy luck with that though. The rocks seem to stop coming as soon as their shields are down :)

Ion Bomb is nice, but I loves me the Ion Blast 2. I'd have dropped the Hermes to pick up that heavy laser, and not get the bomb. But I'm very anti-missile. You've got 30, but now your entire strategy is based on missiles. And teleporting, of course :)

When you said "Change the position of the fighters" I said "YES!" But you lost the ion on their medbay. You should have ioned it again. The trouble with your setup is you can't finish a fight quickly, which i what you really need in a sun battle.

I always forget my cloaking device too. I forgot you had one as well!

BURST LASER 2 BURST LASER 2 BURST LASER 2 YESSSSSS. But yeah, you should already have 6 weapon power by now.

Episode 7:
It's too long to watch right now but I'll get to it. I'm really enjoying your episodes but I just don't have the time to spare.

Pending boss battle:
You've got a job on your hands there. I'd rock Ion blast, ion bomb, burst 2. Skip the repair stations unless you take a lot of damage. Try to find the shop. Sell the extra stuff (including the medi-bots if you need the money, but keep the other 2 augments) and hire anybody you can that's not an Engi. Your goal here is to have 2 guys who can teleport into that missile bay. Ideally you want 2 mantis, but a mantis and a rock is fine, or even a mantis or rock and your human. Hell, you're hurting. Pick up a human if you have to and use your pilot, moving your weapons Engi into the pilot chair. Don't send Engi or Zoltans into the missile bay, one of them will die :)

Use your teleporter (if you can get the crew for it) to take out missiles, then the ion blaster, then the beam. Don't worry too much about shooting until you've got those down. You won't have the manpower to take out the main crew which will make the 2nd and 3rd phases hard but what can you do? Once their missiles are down you can take down the defense drone and cloak. Once the ion is down (and your shields are not ioned) you can take those down to 3. Once the beam's down you can take your engine down to 0 if you need to to power weapons.

Then and only then start firing. Ion blast their shields and ion bomb their cloak. Shoot the crap out of their pilot and engine so they can't dodge, and then try to concentrate on shooting their doors and cloak. You want as many guys in those rooms repairing when the boss blows up so they'll die, making subsequent phases easier.

How phase 2 goes depends greatly on how phase 1 went, so I'll save discussion of that :)

EDIT:
Oh! If you don't get teleporting crew it's harder but all is not lost. Ignore the missiles. Cloak through the first one but just take the second barrage on the chin. Make sure you've got all 3 weapons up and essentially do what I said above about shooting. Your goal with no teleporter is just to kill that thing fast, hopefully taking crew out with the left side. You may want to keep the hull beam if you can't get crew. It'll do more raw damage but you can't concentrate fire on a single system. If you do, try to hit as many of those empty rooms in the middle right of the ship. Don't go for systems, just damage the hull as much and as quickly as you can to kill them fast. That'll also be your strategy in the subsequent rounds.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:44 am

Episode 7:
You get a lot of fuel just for getting to sector 8. You had enough fuel to make it through sector 7 so you shouldn't have bought any more. Same goes for repairs. And the drones :)

Fighting in the cockpit is a bad idea. It guarantees they'll have a guy in there and even though he's fighting you, his presence in there counts as a pilot.

They didn't fix their medbay, you never took it down in the first place :)

In that fight with the Rebel Fighter you should have ioned the shields and shot the weapons. Your ion had taken down the shields and you allowed them to come back up full. Ion on them would have kept them down forever.

You didn't need to bring your guys back on that bomber. You could have swapped them. Then you could have kept the air out to kill the guys who boarded your ship.

Fed bomber fight: You gotta stop shooting at the rooms your guys are in! It's bad for morale! :) Also,the better doors will still allow the swap trick. You must have just misclicked or something. Also, you can select guys by clicking on them. I find it easier than clicking on their icon on the left side of the screen in most situations.

The only thing worse than shooting the room your guys are in is blowing up the ship they're in! Don't worry, it happens to me too.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

LegatDamar

Postby LegatDamar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am

Only one thing: the Ion bomb is a really good weapon. It fits well to your ship :) 5thhorseman really hates missilebased weapons, and i agree. With 3 exeptions on some occasions: ion bomb, small bomb (mostly on boardingships. it is a easy and save way to take down the medbay - without shouting at your guys or blowing up the enemyship ;) ) and on the Rock B fire bomb. I use missiles only when i really can´t get anything else ;)

I´m curious to see how the final battle went. You have a very good weaponlayout and a good chance to win this thing :) You have cloak and a defensedrone. You shuold be fine without boarding.

By the way, Fed A is a nice ship too ;) I hope you win and get it :)
GordonOverkill

Postby GordonOverkill » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:48 pm

Well, without spoiling too much, I can tell you that my Torus series is over and done. At this point I'd like to say some big thanks to everybody who watched the videos and cheered for the Speed Metal and its crew. Special thanks goes to 5th Horseman and Tantares, whose hints and permanent support were amazing... definitely learned alot from you guys!

Here's the link to the second-but-last video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1i6vP4ff7A

And here's the very last video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDRirR-cag4&feature=youtu.be
Last edited by GordonOverkill on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LegatDamar

Postby LegatDamar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:17 pm

I´m watching right now. The first fight: OMG! So much risk for so less bonusreward. Never ever! But you did it. Grats!!!

I think I'll have myself a beer and see whats happening next :)

Second fight, the same ;)

You really should have upgraded your teleporter, when you want to board with only a human and a engi - or at the time you had a real boarding crew ;)
But i´m impressed how well it worked :)

Boss fight:
The cloak was down and buring. No need to ion it. Ion the shield and you can hit the cloak with the BL or the Hermes if needed. But no big problem. No damage in Round 1 - without teleporter. Well done :)
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:43 pm

GordonOverkill wrote:Well, without spoiling too much, I can tell you that my Torus series is over and done.

This is a first for me on the forums: I don't want to read any further in this thread lest I be spoiled :)
My Videos - MY MOD HUB

LegatDamar

Postby LegatDamar » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 pm

90 minutes for sector 8! Impressive ;) Normaly a hole game takes about 90 minute.

Phase 2
Let the boarding drone fight. It has to go to 3 doors and destroy 2 systems bevor it is in your shields. Until then the boss is down. Only one hit in the dronebay will deactivate the drone.

You can stop aming awith your waepons without powering them completely down. Leftclick on the weaopn and rightclick anywhere exept the selected weapon. (perhaps someone else can explaine that better ^^)

You need only 1 level of cloak for the powersurge, then your cloak should be back on for the next surge. Taking out the dronebay will not stop the powersurge.

But as in phase 1: no big problems. Just some hints. Again zero damage. Great :)

Phase 3

Again the weaponthing ^^ And again no big deal ;) But sometimes it can be a problem ;)

Well, you didn´t harm him because you stopped your attacks to often. You should have both weapons on the shield. You need only two rounds to get his shields down in a way that it never will come up again. Then you can ion and burstlaser everything else ;)

Great run!!!

And i told you: this weaponslayout is crazy!!! And the Torus IS one of the best ship in the game! At lot of fun every time i play it :)

PS: You are german. So i can talk in german to you ;)