Android Port

General discussion about the game.
5thHorseman

Re: Android Port

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 09, 2013 10:23 pm

When I first saw this game, I assumed it WAS a tablet game that you could also buy on PC.

I think you guys would make a bundle on tablets. Heck, I'd probably buy it again so I could play it on the go.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
terrybiel

Postby terrybiel » Fri May 10, 2013 3:08 am

As boa13 mentioned above the devs have indeed announced that they're looking into ports to tablets, and if that's the case there's no reason to think they wouldn't check into mobile devices while they're at it.

Does anyone know if they've finished all the extras for their Kickstarter backers? That might be a good indicator of how much time they have to dedicate to new stuff.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 am

They have recently posted about that: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14562#p45843
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
Periander

Postby Periander » Wed May 22, 2013 11:22 pm

Love FTL, play it on Steam.

Created this account though specifically to bump this.

FTL would be perfect on a tablet or even large phone; and Android is the most wide-spread, versatile and ideal platform imo.

Don't know what the code base is, but things like MonoGame (basically multi-platform XNA) might help the developer to port.
craftworkgames

Postby craftworkgames » Thu May 23, 2013 1:35 am

This is currently my favorite game and I'd like to put my vote in for the Android port.

I make Android games myself so I understand the development challenges. I'm curious what language / API was used to create FTL? If I could get permission from the developers I'd make the port myself as long as I can keep some of the profits ;)

Cheers
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:33 am

craftworkgames wrote:I'm curious what language / API was used to create FTL?

Quite simply by examining the installed game files:

- C++

- Boost
- OpenGL
- SDL
- DevIL
- FreeType
- BASS
- RapidXml
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
fat_cyborg

Postby fat_cyborg » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:33 am

bunnmr wrote:Kindle fire plz? My wife wanted the darn thing but there are no games worth playing.

True that! I want to play this on my Kindle while I'm at work and can't play it at home.
bowlingotter

Postby bowlingotter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:22 am

Created this account just to bump this thread.

FTL is such a great game, and it would feel right at home on a tablet. In fact, I think I prefer the idea of playing it on my Nexus 7 to my PC. I would most certainly buy it again for that version.
Usul

Postby Usul » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:27 pm

And here I am, another guy just registering to bump this thread. And as others said before me: I too would pay again for an Android version.

I just bought the Sony Xperia Z tablet and FTL would make it perfect. I would also help kickstarting such a project. I know that the whole coding would have to be done againg, but at least the graphics, sound, gameplay and balancing are already finished, and that usually requires much more of the development time then the coding (ok, testing takes the most time and that would have to be done again, obviously).

But PLEASE make it happen :-)

Nevertheless: Amazing job, great game!
derrikcurran

Postby derrikcurran » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:52 pm

I just registered to add to the ever-growing list of requests for an Android port. I'd gladly pay again.