[MOD] diversityMod [V0.3]

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Bonnie Lass

Re: [MOD] diversityMod [V0.3]

Postby Bonnie Lass » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:35 pm

blueprints.xml.append has several XML errors.

According to GMM, <?xml... ?> should only occur on the first line.
Also: <!-- No other dashes should touch. -->

Line 224:
<tooltip>Fires 5 lasers, 1 damage per shot.</desc>-->

This should be:
<tooltip>Fires 5 lasers, 1 damage per shot.</tooltip>

Line 575:
<speed>75</image>

This should be:
<speed>75</speed>

Line 615:
<speed>90</image>

This should be:
<speed>90</speed>
JTF

Postby JTF » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 pm

That change with the Heavy laser I made The Vortex/Engi a bit more playable. I wonder if it's slightly overpowered, or if it's justified considering it now requires 2 energy instead of 1.
DX_Blaster

Postby DX_Blaster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:35 pm

Hi all FTL games,
Hi all Mod makers,
Hi Developers!

I'm totally new to FTL just started playing it a few weeks ago, beside I bought the game OCT 2012! (had no time).The game is great and dangerously addictive with high frustration factor in Normal (not beat it to date) and some F*** you FTL moments on Easy (combo of bad luck and/or wrong tactics), but already beaten the boss 4 times, still have to unlock some Type B and one last ship.

I'm also a big fan of modding and optimizing game experience. Right now, I only lookout for better GFX nothing else.

I use:
Better Planets and Backgrounds_v1.3
better_asteroids
and I want to use diversityMod_0.3_Graphical (mod of a mod lol)

1st I want to thank the Develpers for this great game, hope there will be an official HD version sometime in the future, and I hope a sequel is in the making, keep up the great work of yours :D

2nd I want to thank all the moders out there for all the great work you have done!

3rd I want to thank the moders liakad for the great visual on his mod, and also Istarune for his attempt to remove the game play changes, to have only the visual parts available.

4th IMHO this mod with its changes to weapon stats is better suited in the Weapons rather in the Visual section of the Mod list. The "clean" version of it would be a perfect match of the Visual section. Just a thought.

Now finally to my question to the moders in general and liakad/Istarune in particular:

I'm new to the moding process of FTL, but if I understood it correctly the blueprint files are not related to any visual or audio components of the game. So to have a "clean" only visual version, wouldn't just to delete the "blueprint" XML files do the trick? Or will that action break the mod entirely?
-> if that works, it would be much less effort to archive the "visuals only" goal.

Also I hope this mod is not abounded, or is there nothing left to do?

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native tongue.

WBR DX_Blaster

[edit: just spelling]
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Welcome to the Forum DX_Blaster. Glad you enjoy the game!

DX_Blaster wrote:I'm new to the moding process of FTL, but if I understood it correctly the blueprint files are not related to any visual or audio components of the game. So to have a "clean" only visual version, wouldn't just to delete the "blueprint" XML files do the trick? Or will that action break the mod entirely?
-> if that works, it would be much less effort to archive the "visuals only" goal.

It doesn't exactly work like that. While the blueprints define mostly weapon stats, they also tell the game which weapon graphic to use for each weapon. If you delete the blueprints.xml.append that the new modded weapon graphics simply wont show up.
DX_Blaster

Postby DX_Blaster » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi Sleeper Service
thx for your fast answer.
I see, looks like I'll have to learn much about the FTL coding and it's inner structure 8-)

The original event to my question was the info I get when I validate mod file with GMM 1.7.0
I guess it's just a warning that can be ignored, but I'm not sure.

Results

@ diversityMod_0.3_Graphical.ftl: see below
------------------------------------------
> data/animations.xml.append
Done

> data/autoBlueprints.xml.append
Done

> data/blueprints.xml.append
! <?xml... ?> should only occur on the first line.
! <!-- No other dashes should touch. -->
! <tooltip...>...</desc>
! <speed...>...</image>
Done

> data/sounds.xml.append
Done

FTL itself can tolerate lots of errors and still run. But invalid XML may break tools that do proper parsing, and it hinders the development of new tools.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:24 pm

DX_Blaster wrote:The original event to my question was the info I get when I validate mod file with GMM 1.7.0
I guess it's just a warning that can be ignored, but I'm not sure.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that doesn't cause problems. I used the mod for a long time and it ran well.