[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Kiloku

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby Kiloku » Fri May 31, 2013 6:17 am

I just sent a pull request. I only modified three lines of code in the part that tries to locate FTL. It now does a better job at locating Steam's Path, using the Registry Key for it, instead of looking for it in Program Files. Unless the user messed with the Reg Keys, if Steam exists, it will be found.

The reason I did that was simply that I don't have Steam installed in the default location, so I thought others might run into this problem.
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Fri May 31, 2013 3:47 pm

To be honest, while the thread has been active, the project seems not to. Before my request, the latest change was seven months ago...
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri May 31, 2013 4:18 pm

Yeah, the project was mostly dead for all that time, mostly spent on compiling a documentation of files and how they work.
Recently we started having discussions about what features to implement, and how, starting here and spanning the next several pages - JLPH is the one driving it tho, and I haven't seen him around for several days...

The general idea was to write the base engine in Java, for ease of development and so that it can be easily ported to mobile devices, and use external plugins written in lua (or another scripting language), to handle augments, events, give more flexibility, etc. The repository is here, though it's nothing more than a rough sketch (yet, hopefully)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri May 31, 2013 7:45 pm

Basically, the whole point of mental/physical split was that the "mental" would hold the crewman's attained skills and such, and "physical" - qualities like HP, visuals, etc. Though it wouldn't influence vanilla FTL too much, it might be of some use for modders...
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 pm

Welcome back DiEvAl. I knew I recognized that name from somewhere. You may not know of me; I currently drive the project.

Here is a rundown of what happened once I took over.

• Conducted modder surveys and did modding documentation to figure out how the Vanilla FTL engine worked
  • Assembled a list of requested features
  • Began the roundtable planning discussing (which should be ongoing) to discuss how feasible each requested feature is
  • Currently programming via XP method and attempting to implement an animation class in java

All of the above is available in googleDocs. My java code is available on gitHub.

Earlier, KuroSaru (the person I'm collaborating with) and I agreed that it may be better to write this program in Java.
He did say that he had ported the code over and made an XML tag parser. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any progress on that.

As for me, I've been burdened by summer classes. The reason why I haven't corresponded for a while was because I am trying to re-organize my schedule, and the modder community seems to be inactive anyways.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Once again, welcome back.

EDIT: In response to your question about code, I'm also fluent in C and C++. Pointers and manual memory management are potent tools, but they can be tricky to use. I've crashed many a computer in trying to get C programs to work.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Fri May 31, 2013 10:05 pm

DiEvAl wrote:Yeah, I know that program will be in java. But I was asking about mods.

A mix of XML and Lua depending on whether more resources or more functionality is needed.
Kiloku

Postby Kiloku » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:57 am

Ok, then I missed all that and submitted a Pull Request to the old project! Egads! Cloning the new project right now!
shark

Postby shark » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:41 pm

EDIT: In response to your question about code, I'm also fluent in C and C++. Pointers and manual memory management are potent tools, but they can be tricky to use. I've crashed many a computer in trying to get C programs to work.

headshake.jpg

Here's an idea - why don't you run daily scrum meetings on skype and take it agile? Simply talk shit out as you encounter it.

If you're going with Java, the game will be rendered in a Canvas anyway, so it won't matter even if you use Swing for the surrounding gui, but it seems like you guys like trying out new shit and are heading for dependency hell soon.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:52 pm

Thankfully we're still officially in the planning stage.

That code I have on github? None of it is meant to be officially permanent. I was toying around with swing and awt to see if I could get a proper animation class running. Once done, it can easily be done again given another library's tools.

Also, Div (mind if I call you that from now on? The capitalization is hard to work with), I saw your cleanup. I forgot to mention, I've been working on it and haven't updated because I thought I was the only active coder. So far the thread to count frames works, as far as functionality goes.

Like I said, the code is meant to just get some basic idea of what we need to implement and how to do it.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:39 pm

Are you still hoping to support Android?

Because Android doesn't have swing.
libgdx (and/or TWL?) will work across platforms though.