Drones, wat the heck "dodge" means?

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
speedoflight

Drones, wat the heck "dodge" means?

Postby speedoflight » Thu May 30, 2013 2:25 pm

Well, i never knew the exact purpose of this value on the drones blueprint. I asked so many times but nobody answered me, so i think nobody knows?? lol. (but well, seeing how lazy is this community i suposse its just lazyness..).

I guess is something to do with the chance of the drone to avoid any circunstancial shot?? or the chance the drone have to fire again?? dont think about the second thing, since it looks like it doesnt matter wat value i write, it doesnt affect the chances of the drone firing again after the first shot. And i cant test the other option either.

Someone knows?? (and plz, dont send me to the ftl wiki tag encyclopedia, that value is not described there).

As far as i know there are only 3 values that make a drone different from other, the power, speed and the dogde capability. Since the last one seem to be useless, i need to be certain of it!.
Last edited by speedoflight on Fri May 31, 2013 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
Sleeper Service

Re: Drones, wat the heck "dogde" means?

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu May 30, 2013 3:21 pm

I have no idea but of course I can offer some completely random speculations :D :

1.: Drone Combat might have been intended to be more complex than it became in the end. Could be simply a stray value that got no function.

2.: As shots can connect with drones, this could control their evasion. Never saw a drone evade a lucky shot though.

3.: As you already suggested: Shooting down drones around your ship requires them to accidentally float in front of your weapon mounts and the value might control how likely that is to happen for the drone. Maybe drones with low dodge deliberately move into your firing lanes more often, which would be indeed difficult to test.

speedoflight wrote:As far as i know there are only 3 values that make a drone different from other, the power, speed and the dogde capability. Since the last one seem to be useless, i need to be certain of it!.

I have no experience with drone moding but I guess their weapons is where the fun starts. Basically they could have all kinds of load-out. I read some people already successfully gave them lockdown bombs and other stuff, so there's more room for customization there. I see external drones mainly as additional weapons, with a harder to control, randomized coldown and targeting.
Agameg

Postby Agameg » Thu May 30, 2013 5:20 pm

Maybe there was suppose to be an anti-drone drone. Like a drone that would shoot down the other drones around your ship and the dodge chance was the chance for the anti-drone drone to miss.
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 30, 2013 6:59 pm

JLPH's modding documentation
I tested this several weeks ago, and it seems to be the drone's chance to avoid being destroyed by a missile.
Could be nice if someone else confirmed this as well.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Thu May 30, 2013 7:07 pm

kartoFlane wrote:JLPH's modding documentation
I tested this several weeks ago, and it seems to be the drone's chance to avoid being destroyed by a missile.
Could be nice if someone else confirmed this as well.

But if u think of it, its even stupid, i mean wat are the chances of a missile hits a drone, actually??? really rare. I mean, if the missile is going straight forward a drone, i never saw a drone to dogde that missile.. ever...

Its a shame, i feel that FTL could be a really loving modeable game, but there are so many values / things that are useless or just not functional.. sigh.
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 pm

*shrug* I'm just telling you what I observed during my testing. I'm not judging whether it makes sense or not.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Thu May 30, 2013 8:12 pm

Last night I was trying to time my shots to hit the enemy drones in a battle where I couldn't get through the enemy's shields, and a couple times the shots seemed to go right through the drones. It could in theory have been because of this value.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri May 31, 2013 1:33 am

5thHorseman wrote:Last night I was trying to time my shots to hit the enemy drones in a battle where I couldn't get through the enemy's shields, and a couple times the shots seemed to go right through the drones. It could in theory have been because of this value.

Maybe, or maybe not lol.. i can tell that i tried drones with a value really high (25 or something like that) and never noticed that dogde ability.. or maybe is the opposite value (lower values = more dogde??).
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Re: Drones, wat the heck "dodge" means?

Postby kartoFlane » Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 am

As far as I've tested it appeared to be in percetages. A drone with 100 dodge seemed to avoid all missiles.
shark

Re: Drones, wat the heck "dodge" means?

Postby shark » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:15 pm

The value is pretty self-descriptive. It's simply the elusive nature of 'dodge' that makes it hard to pin down.

But for what it's worth - this value makes the drone dodge attacks that can kill drones with expressed percentage. Much like the 'dodge' your ship has.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.