kartoFlane

Re: Artillery Weapons

Postby kartoFlane » Wed May 01, 2013 3:53 pm

Yup, exactly.
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Don't forget the UI wasn't designed to have both artillery and cloak on one ship. If you put them on together, parts of the UI will overlap, which is just terrible, so try to avoid it.
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Fri May 03, 2013 12:37 pm

DryEagle wrote:Don't forget the UI wasn't designed to have both artillery and cloak on one ship. If you put them on together, parts of the UI will overlap, which is just terrible, so try to avoid it.

Not if u have only 2 drone slots. Even with 3 drone slots, the ui will not overlap. The only scenario when the UI will look messed up is when u have more than 3 drone slots and u have more than 2 extra systems included. For example, teleport, cloak, artillery. That will broke the ui if u have more than 3 drone slots. Of course, that + 4 drone slots, forget about it, the ui will look horrible. Tell me about it that my actual mod will have almost all systems installed. But i pretend to give the shps a maximum of 3 drone slots, 4 drone slots in the case of carriers but with only 2 weapon slots, and so on. The thing is to compensate a little. The ui will break almost always, the thing is to do it only a bit... so u can only see 1 subsystem messed up. (the ui that breaks is always the part where the piloting, doors and sensors systems are..).
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Sat May 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Last time I tried it I remember the artillery chargeup bar being overlapped by one of the other systems. Though as you say it could be down to the specific number of weapon/drone slots...
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
Crusher

Postby Crusher » Tue May 07, 2013 2:31 am

thashepherd wrote:
Crusher wrote:Ah, useful thanks. So the Tsunami does it by overwriting ARTILLERY_FED. I was hoping I could make an artillery weapon for another ship while still having the vanilla Federation ships be functional. Two artillery weapons on the same ship was something I was considering too. Might still be possible I guess. I still have a lot of fooling around to do.

You can do that the same way the boss is coded to do it.

What did this comment mean tahshepherd? I have not been able to get two functional artillery systems for one player ship.
Crusher's Type C(hallenge) Mod Ships containing:
Mantis Type C: The Sarcosuchus (No O2!)
Engi Type C: The Singularity (Boarding Drones!)
Zoltan Type C: The Annihilator (No Starting Reactor Power!)
Rock Type C: Krakatoa (Fire Boarding!)
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Tue May 07, 2013 10:15 am

It's not possible to have two artilleries. The boss ship can, because it's hardcoded to be like that, but that doesn't extend to player ships. If you declare two artillery systems in your ship blueprint, only the first one will be the functional artillery (I'm not sure, but I think the other one will appear too, however it will be purely cosmetical)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
shark

Postby shark » Sun May 19, 2013 1:30 pm

I haven't found a way to have a five-beamed artillery ship either. I can't even get it to fire two same ones at the same time with trivial modding.

IMO, the difference between BOSS and FED artillery is that the boss one is fake or triggered by the boss's "surge" ability. and the FED one is user-triggerable. I dont plan on codediving to make sure i'm right however, i just gave up on it until the devs acomodate better modding.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Tue May 21, 2013 11:27 pm

i just gave up on it until the devs acomodate better modding.

Ha. You funny.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed May 22, 2013 12:32 am

shark wrote: i just gave up on it until the devs acomodate better modding.

Lol, then u will wait a long, long time.. i guess. More than 1fed artillery is impossible, just forget about it. And no, u cant use the boss artillery weapons. Or maybe until the overdrive project is in beta state. Or maybe to FTL 2 (maybe one day , who knows.. ).
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
shark

Postby shark » Wed May 22, 2013 5:59 pm

NewAgeOfPower wrote:
i just gave up on it until the devs acomodate better modding.

Ha. You funny.

The alternative is what, reversing the game, accomodating everything myself only to have my patch refused by the official team, rendering my work COMPLETELY useless by the first patch they push out. No sir, I can wait. You can't - I can.

@speedoflight: I don't see it that way really. From what I remember, within a week of joining this modding community I somewhat mapped all hard-limits of the game. Clearly defined the boundary on what can and what can't be made. I know I can push that boundary easily, but for what gain? At best I'd just split up the community - have people that plays my version, have people that stick with Overdrive and have the people that only play vanilla-compatible mods, which are running the most up-to-date version mind you.

I simply do not want to work on something that will be rendered useless by a
"decreased initial loading times, improved some localization strings, added additional refresh rate options" sort of simple patch. You don't go the "I'll have my own exe" route unless you're ready to forever commit yourself to maintaining that release - not in a "new features, bells and whistles" way, but also trivial and boring bugfixes, obscure memory leaks, and everything that makes software development fun (in a Dwarf Fortress sense)

The way I see it, I "did everything there is to do" in this game in what, two weeks. Until "everything there is to do" drastically changes, I just don't feel like investing more time would be much enjoyable. After all, mods are made first for you then for showing everyone else what you made. There's nothing 'new' to be made worth showing.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.