New Enemy Classes 0.95

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
966socho

Re: New Enemy Classes 0.95

Postby 966socho » Thu May 09, 2013 1:38 am

I think it's more of the fault of the AI, but the Rebel Repair Ship class just spams the Hull Repair Drone until it runs out of parts. I usually didn't get to start doing damage until it runs out, so it's a bit pointless for the ship to have it unless you can change how it uses them.
terrybiel

Postby terrybiel » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 am

966socho wrote:I think it's more of the fault of the AI, but the Rebel Repair Ship class just spams the Hull Repair Drone until it runs out of parts. I usually didn't get to start doing damage until it runs out, so it's a bit pointless for the ship to have it unless you can change how it uses them.

Just change the name to "Rebel Self-Conscious Ship."
aaaaaa50

Postby aaaaaa50 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 am

966socho wrote:I think it's more of the fault of the AI, but the Rebel Repair Ship class just spams the Hull Repair Drone until it runs out of parts. I usually didn't get to start doing damage until it runs out, so it's a bit pointless for the ship to have it unless you can change how it uses them.

Or just give it a really big number of drone parts.
First ever AE-exclusive ship mod: The Extra Features!
Ye Olde and Outdated Pre-AE Ship Mod Recommendation List!
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 am

Yes I noticed that the AI doesn’t seem to know how to use the repair drones efficiently. I still gave it to them to give them a more distinct combat style, but I'm not completely satisfied with them and didn't test them much on higher sectors. Giving them more drone-parts would make them effectively invincible for a longer period, which isn't what really was intended. An alternative would be giving them even more system repair drone to make them really good at repairing their systems. Hm... maybe they could also get a modified ship repair drone that moves really slow and therefore repairs slower but longer. I'll do some testing...

Interceptors might get their helm reduced to one system bar maximum. They could be further nerved by reducing their max shields, which is already implemented for the auto infiltrator, the fastest enemy on the galaxy. Ultimately they could also get their evade reduced again, also most of them just get seven bars instead of the usually five anyway. That would take their distinct capabilities away, so that's not really an option. I agree that their evade has to be offset more by other vulnerabilities. Ill look into that.
Balanced Arsenals mutli shot missile launchers and to some extend vanilla Burst Lasers should still make short work of them, *spoiler* in case that it isn't clear yet: their helm is kind of their weak spot. But I see its more challenging to keep helm and shields suppressed at the same time to actually be able to damage them.
966socho

Postby 966socho » Sat May 11, 2013 10:51 pm

The Slug Gas Miner has a detached third gun mount.

Also, are First Sector enemies supposed to have 4 combined weapons and drones? I ran into a ship with Basic Laser, 2 Mini-Beams, and a Beam Drone. I couldn't take anything out before they fired even if I wanted to, as Weapons was the first thing they beamed >_> I feel like that's a little OP.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm

966socho wrote:The Slug Gas Miner has a detached third gun mount.

Also, are First Sector enemies supposed to have 4 combined weapons and drones? I ran into a ship with Basic Laser, 2 Mini-Beams, and a Beam Drone. I couldn't take anything out before they fired even if I wanted to, as Weapons was the first thing they beamed >_> I feel like that's a little OP.

Noted. That might actually also happen in vanilla. Bad luck that they hit your guns. The enemy generation is pretty random, that can't be influenced so much. Miners are prone to that as they get free drones from the start. I might be able to fix that by giving them custom weapon lists... will be fixed in the next version. (I don't know exactly how enemies get their equipment. I like to think that they have a certain amount of scrap based on sector to "buy" their available systems, just like you. So if they happen to spend all on guns, that might turn bad.)
966socho

Postby 966socho » Thu May 16, 2013 10:58 pm

Another minor error: the Slug Infiltrator has the bottom-left weapon mount backwards (not sure about how they are ordered).
Thunderr

Postby Thunderr » Fri May 31, 2013 11:56 pm

Thanks for the amazing mod! Could you possibly make a transport class with high shields and only a low laser? They would also have high rewards for destroying them, but they would try to escape from the beginning.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Enemies that are not designed for combat give room for interesting ideas, but also require custom events to be integrated nicely. I already feel like I thread on thin ice with the miner, cause I can see its plausable that they are refitted for combat. I might include such custom ships in Captains Edition at some point, for the REBEL_TRANSPORT event for example.
agigabyte

Postby agigabyte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:30 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Enemies that are not designed for combat give room for interesting ideas, but also require custom events to be integrated nicely. I already feel like I thread on thin ice with the miner, cause I can see its plausable that they are refitted for combat. I might include such custom ships in Captains Edition at some point, for the REBEL_TRANSPORT event for example.

I encountered a Mantis pleasure cruiser, is that supposed to be there?