Early purchase for those that missed Kickstart?

General discussion about the game.
Warbird

Re: Early purchase for those that missed Kickstart?

Postby Warbird » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:44 pm

Polite discussion, including others, sharing DotA2 invites, and now the willing compromise of exclusive rights you paid for? Who are you people and what have you done to my internet?

Seriously, this is one of the friendlier communities that I've ever come across.
CEO

Postby CEO » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

... and it will likely remain that way until the game releases and the hordes of unwashed decend upon we righteous few. :D Seriously though, as long as they bring $$.

I agree that the community is great. I'm guessing that is partically due to the community being bit more mature (notice I avoided "older"? Wee, word games!) as the game is something of a throwback appealing heavily to those people that can look past graphics for outstanding gameplay.

From a market development side, does that mean we have more disposable income (since we likely have careers) or less (since we have families/bills/taxes)? :lol:
Niknaktom

Postby Niknaktom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 pm

Most likely most of us arent 13 year olds you have spent money on something that they cant immediatly play or get use out of. You were all 13 once you know what I'm talking about.
Only fools go, where angels fear to tread
AJTilley

Postby AJTilley » Fri May 04, 2012 7:23 am

I imagine this community is so pleasant as it is made mostly of indie gamers and dare i say indie developers. The indie gamers and development community is well known for being one of the friendliest bunch of people.

This is probably why indie games are doing so well on kick-starter at the moment. I have noticed from my own experience that indie developers have a camaraderie approach to creating games rather than competitive, everyone wants to help other Indies succeed. Probably on the idea that the more of us that succeed the more likely that the next game will succeed and so on. Which is a great community spirit.

Anyway so I would guess that FTL is mostly made up of that community at the moment, but your right upon official release especially with the launch via steam and other big digital downloadable services the community will get flooded with the 'younger' group though that will depend on how the main campaign ends up looking and how accessible that will be compared to the very accessible survival mode we saw on OnLive.

P.s. in my opionion the initial beta should be kickstarter only, but perhaps pre-ordering could give people a later start into the beta. e.g. if it starts in june and runs for a month, pre-order gets them access to the last week. That to me sounds fair, it gives the kickstarter people the biggest input but those that missed out a chance to give their input as well at the end.
CEO

Postby CEO » Fri May 04, 2012 1:55 pm

... of course that sounds fair if you weren't on the other side of the world (literally, I got Shanghai'd) for work when the kickstarter was going on. =P

Personally i'm quite the fan of Notch's minecraft model. The idea that you can generate revenue from your current work is fantastic. Additionally, you get larger fan emotional investment as they feel like their feedback contributes to the game's development. This of course leads them to tell their friends about the game they are "helping to develop". :)

This is actually what I am working on for my mba thesis (on a side note - carrer + back to school = a couple years of hell).
azianinvazn

Postby azianinvazn » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:49 am

I would love to be able to get into the beta, i found out about ftl just yesterday :/ PLLLLEEEASE :O
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:58 pm

azianinvazn wrote:I would love to be able to get into the beta, i found out about ftl just yesterday :/ PLLLLEEEASE :O

Welcome to our lovely forums.
MrJLK

Postby MrJLK » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:34 pm

Personally I don't mind if we (The people that missed the kickstarter) aren't allowed on the Beta. I just want to see some more gameplay videos :(

I've seen all the ones on youtube at least twice. Also this game has made me rewatch Firefly again. (For some unknown reason)
Snake Plissken

Postby Snake Plissken » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:14 pm

MrJLK wrote:Personally I don't mind if we (The people that missed the kickstarter) aren't allowed on the Beta. I just want to see some more gameplay videos :(

I've seen all the ones on youtube at least twice. Also this game has made me rewatch Firefly again. (For some unknown reason)

Re: Letter to the dev team

by Justin » Tue May 22, 2012 7:00 am
Yo guys, one of the dev's here.

We were a good 3/4 done with the project when we asked for a bit of money to get us through to the end. Getting 2000% of our goal has a much different effect than if we were pitching a new idea that wasn't in production yet. It takes time to find (and enact) productive ways to spend the money on the game (contractors, better libraries, etc) as well additional time for press and business management. It's a split opinion amongst our backers on how the money would effect us: Some have expected massive delays so we could improve the game tenfold; while others (like DukeofClubs) feel that the money should guarantee a timely release. We've opted to do our best to pull off both at once. We're working seven days a week to get FTL to you both improved beyond our initial expectations, and as close to on time as possible.

That being said, we hope to get you the Beta within the next 2-3 weeks. There are still a few things which will take an uncertain amount of time, so we'd prefer not to just guess and give a date that could lead to further disappointment.

In the mean time, I will try and take part in discussions more. We were recently just hiding in our respective caves trying to work as fast as possible with few distractions. So, sorry if we were absent.

We'd like to thank all of you once again for your support. Tons of great ideas have been tossed around as well. Some of which are frankly incompatible with FTL but would still make an awesome game that I'd love to play. But overall, this forum has been remarkable in the civility of its users and the enthusiasm for FTL.
Senex

Postby Senex » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:14 pm

So you're deliberately making it so that a lot of people who want to play the game will not be able to? Even though they are willing to pay for it?

Just how badly do you want this game to be pirated? HBO and game of thrones did this exact thing, and it's one of the most pirated things in history. Even Kerbal Space Program got pirated. Steam won't stop piracy, it never has.

History tells us that if you don't let people pay for it, they will pirate it.

I'd rather not see that happen, i want this game to succeed.

Take my money.