What do you wish was in FTL?

General discussion about the game.
Aric_D

Re: What do you wish was in FTL?

Postby Aric_D » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:32 am

As I posted in another thread (which I should have posted here, apparently) An augment or something giving your crew environment suits. Basically you have an 02 bar above your health bar that starts to decline if the 02 level aboard your ship drops (as you are breathing suit air at this point). Once the blue bar depletes, if you haven't fixed oxygen. then your health starts to go. also gives crew 50% bonus against fire damage (suit is made out of flame resistant materials and has own temp. control system), and 15% bonus against boarder damage (suits have limited armor plating over vital areas). what do you guys think?...I always thought it was silly there were no suits in the game...I still love the game though... :D
Torchiest

Postby Torchiest » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:54 pm

I like a lot of the ideas already mentioned, like multiple ship combat and giving random experience to starting crew. A couple ideas I have:

Every time you defeat the boss, allow the player to save one character to be used again with all their upgraded skills. It could put them in a roster that you could use to substitute for a regular crew member. This would give you a little extra reward, but of course if the character dies in-game they're gone forever again. In theory, the same character could survive multiple games and keep being saved.

Some kind of ship customization mode, where you start with a certain amount of scrap and can buy everything: crew, system power, reactor power, weapons, drones, etc. Of course, the ability to mod more or less handles that, but doing it in the game would be convenient.
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:13 am

Make all the stations mannable. Medbay holding 4 crew, having a player in Medbay with "Medical" skill boosts the healing rate (but building medical skill requires healing enemy-based damage, so you cant farm up the skill by choking and healing crewmembers over and over.

Doors becomes damage control. Putting out fires, sealing breaches or anyone repairing damage while manning this station boosts your damage control skill. Damage control allows you to put out fires more quickly and recharge damage control modules more quickly (more on this).

O2 is Life Support. Manning this station boosts the Oxygen replenishment rate and slightly reduces damage taken by weapons fire. This ability builds at a small, flat rate each time you jump while manning Life support.

Manning drone control increases the movement/fire rate/melee damage of drones. Damage/repair done by drones increases Drone skill. Higher skill means higher bonuses.

Manning Stealth boosts the base evasion bonus of stealth by 3 percent, and each level of stealth skill (raised by evading fire while stealthed) adds an additional 3 percent and 1 second of stealth time.
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:35 am

Station modules: These are activateable abilities you can find/buy. At the beginning of a battle, you must man the module's station for at least 10 seconds to charge the ability up.The ability has a long cooldown (like 5 minutes) so youre realistically only getting 1 shot with it. Skilling up in that station cuts down these cooldowns.

Medbay module: Heal Pulse- works like Healing Burst but only in Medbay

Damage control: Room security (based on shiptype) anti-boarder effects. Target rooms on your ship for ability, lasts 5 seconds.
Federation: Decompressor, instantly makes room a vacuum.
Slug: Slug Gas, damage is 2x suffocation, slugs and zoltan immune.
Mantis: Floor spikes, damages enemies passing room squares. Mantis immune.
Rock: Incinerator, sets room on fire. :D
Zoltan: Fluxfield, prevents enemies or bombs teleporting in room.
Engi: Nanoscrambler, disables boarding drones, prevents bombs from detonating in room
Crystal: Shardstorm, damages enemies that damage room components.

Life support module: Emergency Oxygen, restores air to a vacuum room for 5 seconds.
Healing breath: Instantly restores crew health lost due to suffocation in targeted room.

Drone Module: Manual Override, allows you to manually control/target rooms with drones for 5 seconds.
Alsojames

Postby Alsojames » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:40 pm

If there was a room with an open airlock, it would drag anybody exposed to the vaccum out into space, where they'd instantly die. Any rooms connected to a room with an open airlock would have the same thing, but the farther away you are from the actual airlock itself the slower you're dragged.

Would make dealing with boarding parties so much more fun.
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:49 pm

Airlocks should be actual systems ie a 1x2 or 2x2 room adjacent to the outside of the ship with doors leading out. Then you could also have a shuttlebay giving you the option of having a number (1-8, depending on shuttle) of crewmembers board the enemy ship manually as an alternative to warping there.

The disadvantage of boarding this way is you risk getting blown up on the way there, and having to batter your way into the enemy ship BUT you could board with many more crewmembers at a time.
Torchiest

Postby Torchiest » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:28 pm

I don't think I saw this in the discussion already. If you have a boarding party on an enemy ship, and they destroy your ship, you should be allowed to continue playing and finish combat on the enemy ship. If all your crew dies, oh well, but if you kill the enemies, you should be able to take over their ship and continue your mission.
Fadedsun

Postby Fadedsun » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:10 pm

I think the obvious thing is more of what the game already offers(ships, events, races, etc.) I would love to see more unique weapons and drone types, as well as more hazards; perhaps black holes could be a hazard? I'm not entirely sure what the danger of a black hole would cause mid-battle in this game, but I think it would be an obvious hazard to encounter when traversing the universe in a space ship. If you could accidentally be next to a scorching hot star, why not a gravity-crushing black hole?

I agree with the many sentiments of offering multi-ship battles. That would offer a unique and fun twist to combat.
Jerjare

Postby Jerjare » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 am

Type C variants: even crazier/harder than B variants.

Human C ship "Harpy": Similar to Red Tail but with 4 Leto missiles

Engi C ship "Event Horizon": Boarding Drone, Breach Bomb, Breach Missile. Hoover them to death!

Zoltan C ship "Aether": No medbay, door control, sensors, shields, BUT you have Zoltan shield, Drone control, 4 pad teleporter, 5 bars engine, IonII and minibeam.

Mantis C ship "Carnivore": Basic Laser, Ion Bomb, Level 2 helm, 2 pad teleporter (but its level 2). Level 2 Medbay.

Slug C ship "Armageddon": Basic laser, Bio beam, Fire Beam, No Medbay or sensors.

Fed Cuiser ship C "Needler": Burst Laser III.

Stealth ship C "Nighthawk": Small Bomb, Ion Bomb, Leto Missile
Torchiest

Postby Torchiest » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:32 pm

I wish you could sell missiles and drones at stores, instead of having to get lucky with a random encounter.