Keeping the community informed.

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
shark

Keeping the community informed.

Postby shark » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:00 pm

The topic is misleading, of course. I'm talking about keeping a few key players up to date with everything.

I joined this community because I believed I ventured into places noone did. And I was partially right. I wasn't the first to openly share his research points, but it seems like I was the first one to research those points.

And while that thread had some really useful info, noone seems to have absorbed the lessons to be learned there.

Which means one of two things should happen:

1) Keep the key players informed. These are the people that are fairly certain that they will "never leave". Even if the website is empty and dead, they will still visit and tutor the occasional drop-by modder. This seems more plausible.

2) Start a wiki and write the shit out of everything. This requires more effort, but is a less error-prone method.

FTL:overdrive or not, this is something that *everyone* benefits from. I cannot stress this enough. Please communicate with one another. I just browsed the forum and saw that for the third time you "relearned" where the asteroid shower comes from.

As far as modding communities go, a community is only as good as the sum of knowledge it holds. This isn't a "hey i'm whoring for attention" or "are you aware there is people starving in africa" kinda post. This is an honest attempt of nudging the whole community to help itself help every individual member. If you know something works or doesn't work, say it like it is and save the man his time.That time can and will be better spent doing something more feasable, or something that doesn't include nasty side-effects.

You have a very low-level reversing guy, kartoFlane with solid programming experience no less. There's Vashti, with a decent hacking/programming background. There's Kieve the tech-savvy art guy. alextfish, all-round modder. These are your key players. As a newbie, you can only as far as these guys bother explaining :)

I don't have better words than "someone is doing a bad job of communicating problems and findings". I know my reputation here doesn't amount to much, and that I'm usually the guy that "shoots people down". But I do not gain any joy from "crushing" projects. I gain nothing of value by shooting down ideas, much less get paid for it. But when I go to bed that night, I know I saved someone the trouble of wasting a whole lot of time reaching the end of a dead-end street. And taking 10 minutes to see why your 12 hour venture won't work saves you 11 hours 50 minutes of sweating :) Moreso if you pick up this skillset just to do that one thing you really want, without first checking if it can be done. This works both ways - if someone shoots you down, you go and prove him wrong and shove your findings in his face. It feels nice when you just say "guys, remember how X couldn't be done? I did it, look". If you manage that you'll get to the key-players list pretty quickly.

Take care of each other :) You have good people here. Help each other :) Push the limits together, stop bouncing off the same walls individually.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Vhati

Re: Keeping the community informed.

Postby Vhati » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:22 pm

shark wrote:There's Vashti, with a decent hacking/programming background.

Who's that? Can one of the key players explain? :lol:
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:08 pm

hmmm a wiki on FTL Mods

I like that, perhaps articles on some Let's Players as well, because (and with all modesty) you guys are the brains but the lets players are the body that makes sures your mods are out in the public. Without each other the mods don't work LOL.

As for a wiki for each ship, tips and tricks, maybe who did a lets play of them. Not to mention information on how to mod ships/weapons/ect. I would support it fully.
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
nataryeahbuddy

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Wiki that we can write stuff on! :D

http://ftlmodding.wikia.com
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:15 pm

That was fast
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

BrenTenkage wrote:
nataryeahbuddy wrote:Wiki that we can write stuff on! :D
That was fast

*headdesk*
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:53 pm

There are at least two wikis out there, they just need more exposure and participation for the community:

http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Home
http://ftl.wikia.com/wiki/FTL:_Faster_Than_Light_Wiki

The latter is bigger, but has no mention of mods, a shame...

@topic
Well, shark, thank you for the kind words -- and I think you forgot to mention yourself in that list :)
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
shark

Postby shark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:51 am

Vhati... sorry :)

I didn't really include myself on the list for the sole purpose that I got involved with some serious gamedev (shameless self-plug :D) and to put it simply, I'm not putting hours in debugging/reversing/researching anymore. All my free time after working hours goes to that project.

I wish I could've got more out of this game, but seeing how my whole modding venture started with a high-fever induced sickweek boredom.... I pushed it far, too bad I couldn't push it farther, don't feel like reinventing the wheel just so I could push it some more :) //maybe FTL:Overdrive ;)

Something we did on Evil Genius forums was to make a "Mod mods" group - Mod-section-only Moderators which mainly stickied the important threads and merged/filtered some other threads. Might not be a bad idea ;)

In the meantime, I'd like to write up some more inspirational shit (perhaps I'll stick to tech docs on the wiki) but my code just compiled and well, GDC promo ain't gonna prepare itself...
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
shark

Postby shark » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 am

BrenTenkage wrote:hmmm a wiki on FTL Mods

I like that, perhaps articles on some Let's Players as well, because (and with all modesty) you guys are the brains but the lets players are the body that makes sures your mods are out in the public. Without each other the mods don't work LOL.

As for a wiki for each ship, tips and tricks, maybe who did a lets play of them. Not to mention information on how to mod ships/weapons/ect. I would support it fully.

Sure, but since this is mod development, I was mostly referring to the technical aspect of it. But being a wiki, the "community" aspect is one page away :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:16 am

:roll: I'm a bit too perennial to be considered anything like "key" but my ego appreciates the mention ;)
That said, this is some solid wisdom. A wiki isn't really the place for "applied theory" kind of stuff but for nuts & bolts functionality it should do just fine. I put some time in a couple months ago to update the Ship Modding section, but the whole wiki could probably use a comprehensive overhaul.

Posted the link before, but for those who don't know it, this is table-of-contents stuff:
http://ftlwiki.com/wiki/Modding_guide

I'm sorry to say I haven't had the time to focus on anything FTL-related lately, but with the trailblazing DryEagle's done lately with his own ships, I don't think my (temporary?) absence is all that noteworthy.

Good post, Shark.