[Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal [NOT UPDATED TO AE]

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
shark

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - b23-2-13

Postby shark » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:03 pm

kartoFlane wrote:
Weltall Zero wrote:Coming from C/C++? That's me like 3 years ago (I had been coding exclusively on C++ for about 10 years). :D

Not exactly C per se - a few years ago I've really been into Warcraft 3 modding, creating maps and stuff - and for modding purposes Blizzard had created an event-driven scripting language, Jass, that was loosely based on C (from what I could gather; no objects, manual memory management, etc).
I stuck in there for about 2 or 3 years, and that's where I picked up most of my practices :)

And glad the image issues have been resolved, I've been afraid that I'd have yet another bug to fix :D

JASS was an insult to Java, not C. In fact, it's completely unknown how JASS got tied in with "java" or C while at that matter since it resembles nor behaves like either of em.

Didn't stop Vexorian from adapting all our trigger-based practices into a lib of generic function calls that later formed the Spell System. Vexorian turned out good after getting into programming in college... too bad the communities were somewhat stinky, as there was no real way to get to the 'cool map' page without knowing some mods or being 'familiar' somehow.

Though, it's funny because you can still find the archived thread where IceFrog asks how to make custom spells and i guide him thru it. Seeing some of my old spells from the repository resurfacing in DotA is kinda warming. Then again he's one of the rare modders that made money off a map and is even getting a game done after it. Impressive.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
nataryeahbuddy

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - b23-2-13

Postby nataryeahbuddy » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:56 pm

How did he make money off a map?

me want money hehehehe
My most popular mod! Over 290 Downloads!
Advanced Weapons and Shields!
My second most popular mod! Over 240 Downloads!
Advanced Battle Systems!
An awesome ship with custom graphics and two new weapons!
F-22A Raptor for FTL
kartoFlane

Re: [Tool] FTL Ship Editor: Superluminal - b26-2-13

Postby kartoFlane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:05 pm

@shark
Knew I messed something up with JASS...
I remember Vexorian, though I've always been one of the throng of common, amateur mappers, so I didn't really pay that much attention to the "higher" modding scene... Wasn't he also the one who created vJASS? Or co-authored it?

As for IceFrog, well, whoa... I guess it's a great satisfaction, to know that someone got so successful under your guidance :) Though I remember seeing some people on the Hive Workshop forums criticize him for his coding practices, that spells in Dota were horribly inefficient, with a lot of memory leaks and whatnot.
Can't confirm this for myself though, seeing as I've never had the opportunity to peek into Dota's triggers...

But yeah, he pretty much gave birth to a whole new gaming genre, so that's definitely a big success.

@natar
By working on it for several years, his map becoming a world-wide phenomenon, being predecessor to what we know as League of Legends, Heroes of Newerth, Smite and Dota 2 today, and finally getting hired at Valve (IIRC?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Besides that, new update is ready
Changelog:
  • Fixed - All dialogs should now remember correct locations to which they were last opened and retain their own, unique paths.
  • Fixed - Fixed weapon and drone presets not being loaded in Properties window.
  • Fixed - Fixed gibs images not being properly reloaded after saving a project, thus causing the editor to crash.
  • Fixed - Fixed bomb weapons loading the bomb's graphic, and not the launcher's
  • Changed - Archives are now unpacked automatically by the editor. The only thing you have to do is point it to original, packed, .dat archives inside /resources/ folder in your FTL installation.
  • Changed - Images that cannot be overriden (only cloak and shields can) are now always exported, default or not.
  • Added - Glow images can now be exported along with the interior image they are associated with, however they have to:
    • be in the same folder as the base interior image
    • be named <interior_image_name>_glow#.png
    (this may be changed in a future version, though it's much less hassle for you to just move the files and rename them)
  • Added - Ships loaded from .ftl package now have their weapons / drones / augments loaded properly - that includes graphics for weapons.
  • Added - When loading data from an .ftl package, it is now possible to choose which ship is to be loaded, should the package contain more than one ship.

Dropbox download directory: Superluminal 26-2-13
Ad.fly link to the above - if you feel like you can stand five seconds of horrid adverts to support the project
Superluminal2 - a ship editor for FTL
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:57 pm

kartoFlane wrote:Besides that, new update is ready
Changelog:
[list][*]Fixed - All dialogs should now remember correct locations to which they were last opened and retain their own, unique paths.

You are amazing. It's hard to believe how good you've made the editor in around a month. It's almost perfect now, and in particular, the change above will make it so much more user-friendly.

Thanks again for all your work, clicking on the ad-supported link is by far the least I can do!
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 am

Its a really great tool. One thing i noticed, the shields are still loading in bad position, i always need to move it to fit with the ship everytime i load the proyect. Anything else, i coudnt survive with this tool right now :lol:
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
speedoflight

Postby speedoflight » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:22 pm

Something happened and i cant export the ship (again) or open a project anymore. Everytime i try it, the editor crashes. I dunno y this happens, since i can load the entire ship (without any issues) from a ftl, but i cant export it or open an existing project...

I was trying to edit 1 room, so i can get the txt file, and paste the coordenates to my wip mod, but without the export option, any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind, just downloaded the editor again, and it looks like works OK. I was using the bat file, and i was getting the error "can find java 32 or something like that...".
My currently mods / wips ->
ImageImage
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:26 pm

You don't have to use the .bat file anymore, after I changed the editor to be in .exe form. Guess I just forgot to remove it from the directory I packed...
Weltall Zero

Postby Weltall Zero » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Only a cosmetic bug, I think, but when first asking you to open the .dat files, the dialog has "loadSystem = true" as the default file name.
xdiesp

Postby xdiesp » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:37 am

Is it impossible to load an xml file with Superluminal?
kartoFlane

Postby kartoFlane » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am

On their own, nope, xml files (shipname.xml) only contain mount and gibs positioning data, but apart from that, nothing that I could use to figure out which ship to load.
Next version will allow to import a room layout from shipname.txt, though.

Why'd you want to load xml files alone, anyway?