Android Port

General discussion about the game.
boa13

Re: Android Port

Postby boa13 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:28 am

Well, sure there is, in the site's News section. It's actually the latest news: http://www.ftlgame.com/?p=514 :)

Quoting the relevant part:

With the start of 2013 you may be wondering what our plans are. In the upcoming weeks we will be researching potentially bringing FTL to the tablets. I can’t promise we will fully pursue the port; this is just a ‘test the water’ kind of period.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
carousin

Postby carousin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:45 am

I will pay unreasonable amounts of money to play this on my nexus 7. I just want to encourage the devs to really give the tablet version a go.
shlic

Postby shlic » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:09 am

Hi, I bought the game from gog.com. I will gladly pay the same amount to buy it in Google play. An expansion pack where you can freely roam a lot of randomized galaxies would be nice too. More power to you.
MarcusarilliuS_IRL

Postby MarcusarilliuS_IRL » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:16 pm

I bought it on steam + bought 2 copies for friends of mine cause I loved it so much. Would happily buy it again for android it it was released, and so would they :)
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:34 pm

I would be dissapointed with a mobile port. I can understand why they'd do it. A company loves extra money... but I think maybe the game would benefit more from a bigger expansion that features more game modes and a bit more mod options.

The mobile market isn't made for games that cost money. The people that buy apps are a minority. Maybe they'll make some money but like I said, I'm sure at least 90% of the people that already purchased FTL would buy an expansion that has free trade mode, survival mode, better modding options, and more. Agree?
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Probably not. The calls for a mobile port have been steady for months now. Lots of people would enjoy it.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:09 pm

UltraMantis wrote:Probably not. The calls for a mobile port have been steady for months now. Lots of people would enjoy it.

Let me ask this: What would make you more revenue? An app that is not that playable on a mobile device (though would work well on a tablet... correct me if i'm wrong) OR a $5-10 expansion?

Just wondering what people's opinions are... I want to say the expansion myself, but at the same time, the app MIGHT boost fanbase and really get FTL out there to the more casual fan.

Thoughts?
montgoss

Postby montgoss » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:08 am

DauntlessK wrote:Let me ask this: What would make you more revenue? An app that is not that playable on a mobile device (though would work well on a tablet... correct me if i'm wrong) OR a $5-10 expansion?

I think the obvious answer is: both.

So, then their next question becomes "which will make us the most money in the long-term?". As you pointed out, doing a good port of FTL to Android would very likely boost the fan base, which means more people that would potentially be interested in an expansion. So, I think it's obvious that they should focus on the Android port first. 8-)
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 am

montgoss wrote:I think the obvious answer is: both.

So, then their next question becomes "which will make us the most money in the long-term?". As you pointed out, doing a good port of FTL to Android would very likely boost the fan base, which means more people that would potentially be interested in an expansion. So, I think it's obvious that they should focus on the Android port first. 8-)

Sadly I find myself agreeing with you despite my own desires. :?
nerdorior

Postby nerdorior » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Just registered to bump this request of a Android version. :ugeek: