[Suggestion] Space Stations

General discussion about the game.
meathelix

[Suggestion] Space Stations

Postby meathelix » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:17 pm

Finally redeemed my kickstarter code and started playing. I'm loving it so far, but I've found that after several hours of playing, I haven't set foot in another ship once. Part of this is the fact that I'm usually too busy guarding my own ship, and part of it is the expense of buying the teleporter. I don't know if my people could do a better job taking down a ship than I could just blasting it a part. Maybe it's a way to capture and get more loot?

Anyway...

It would be cool to have a Space Station as an optional encounter. You could either dock with it and use one of the airlocks as a transition space, or teleport your characters over if you had the equipment. The latter would afford the advantage of getting to appear in rooms other than the docking station, which might be heavily guarded or something.

This could be a tiny adventure mode of sorts, with rooms that had stuff the characters could discover, like system scans, schematics and maybe scrap of some sort. The station could have reinforced blast doors or areas with no oxygen so the characters would have to fix/destroy systems to proceed.

Just a thought, as a tiny top-down System Shock would be a neat addition, and I think it could all work with the existing mechanics and avoid feature bloat.
CaptainQuirk

Re: [Suggestion] Space Stations

Postby CaptainQuirk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:14 am

I like this idea. :D

Could definitely be a fun addition to what looks like a great game already. These sections would have to be reasonably small (maybe 6 or 7 'rooms') so that it doesn't become a nuisance. You could have heavily guarded stations which give better rewards etc. Perhaps needing to take out the stations weapons systems from your ship before you could get close enough to dock, or take down their shield system before you could teleport your away team aboard.
Humour, reviews and rants courtesy of The Robot Overlords all at Robots Building Robots!
kylarus

Postby kylarus » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:46 am

I would interested in seeing a space station as being somewhere you could move crewmembers around inside. Use it as a hub, so that while you have people repairing systems on your ship, you have a crewmember visiting various shops inside the station to purchase repairs, drones, etc.

Combine that with anti-station operations like we see in some of the dialogues (usually between rebel drones or fighters and a friendly/neutral station) and it would be a major addition to the game, for the post boss free game mode, I would wager.
Th3GoodSon

Postby Th3GoodSon » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 pm

As a possible expansion, this sounds like a cracking idea. Stations set up like ships are currently in terms of interior rooms... that WOULD be fun to fight in! With the various dialogues about encountering research stations under threat, sending a team accross to help would be great stuff
SVD997

Postby SVD997 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:12 pm

I love this idea and the fact that it would give you more control over some of the random events. Space station on fire, but you have no rockmen? Send in a crew and fire heal bombs at them to keep them alive while they save the station.
temporal

Postby temporal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:31 pm

What if your ship docked with a station through one of the airlocks? Then you could send crew over for whatever the mission dictates - putting out fires, fighting your way to a room, etc. and not need a teleporter.
Straykiller

Postby Straykiller » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:57 am

temporal wrote:What if your ship docked with a station through one of the airlocks? Then you could send crew over for whatever the mission dictates - putting out fires, fighting your way to a room, etc. and not need a teleporter.

this is the best way to do it, and would be a very fun addition to the game. I think this is a great idea.
LillithMenarra

Postby LillithMenarra » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:34 pm

I'd love to see this added for infinite freeform play.
TwoEdge

Postby TwoEdge » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:49 pm

I think this deviates wildly from how the game plays; I also think that this is the best suggestion I've read in these boards so far. Here's hoping the devs like the idea and find a way to implement it.