Six Mantis Boarding Party Ideas

General discussion about the game.
ben120

Six Mantis Boarding Party Ideas

Postby ben120 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:07 pm

Are we supposed to be able to cope with this on easy or are some encounters intended to be unbeatable? If they take your life-support then even choosing three members to hold up in the medical bay doesn't seem to work, I've been going over it in my mind and I cannot think of a solution to six mantis with their first target been oxygen.

Ideas welcome.
GreenZanbato

Re: Six Mantis Boarding Party Ideas

Postby GreenZanbato » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:24 pm

If you have crystals or engis, vent everything except the rooms your crew are in (move crew to one or two rooms, one of which being the medbay. After the boarders are dead, crystals/engis should be able to repair oxygen. If your doors are unleveled, that's your fault, because you should have had plenty of time before this encounter to level them at least once. If you don't have crystals or engis, hope you get lucky. This is an encounter that should almost never happen if ever. You just got unlucky.
breadsmith

Postby breadsmith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:34 am

The moment they teleport in, start venting everything possible. If not fighting a ship, this will be at most three aired rooms, the med bay, and one or two others for the rest to cower in. Shut off the O2 as well. The mantis shouldn't have enough time to break the 02 before they start worrying about air themselves and abandon their goals in favor of attacking the aired rooms. Once they're in the rooms, reseal the ship and put 02 back on. Fight them as normal.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:32 am

A lvl2 medbay can heal crew even with no oxygen. Lvl3 medbay will heal you in no air even if Mantis are kicking your ass in the room. They will damage you some, but will die of suffocation before long.

Lvl2 life support can not be completely destroyed by boarders if you vent the ship quickly.

Upgrade everything that represents a weakness. There are multiple ways to lose the game so it pays to be ready for anything. Now at the very start of the game, it's impossible to cover everything, and losing much scrap to repairs can hinder progress. Getting a nasty event at the start could be an early game over. It happens sometimes...
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 am

You really should have level 2 doors. Vent the rooms they are in except oxygen and the rooms adjacent. They will be weak by the time you fight them because of all the health they lost beating down doors in oxygenless rooms. You should be able to take out the enemy ship long before your ship is devoid of oxygen and then you leisurely stroll over and fix your O2 system. Even if your O2 room loses its oxygen because of the ship layout or something two people should be able to fix it and get out in time.
UltraMantis

Postby UltraMantis » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:21 am

Dont belive in lvl2 doors too much. They will hold Mantis back for a few seconds. Lvl3 is proper safety. As long as they don't jump straight into a vulnerable room that is.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
Vindaloo

Postby Vindaloo » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:28 am

Yeah, 6 Mantis? Even with lvl 2 doors that would be a very tough fight. Reminds me of the time I got boarded by 5 rockmen at a sun location, and the first thing they did was knock out my bridge... too bad there is no achievement for having your own ship entirely on fire.
ben120

Postby ben120 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:50 pm

Thanks for the advice guys it does help.

Just to clarify the situation, they take out the O2 unit then go straight to the medbay, I'm there waiting for them to die but without level 2/3 healing they leave you with such little life left over that you cannot go and repair the O2 unit. Since then I've seen some stuff and done some things (first jump on easy game, solar flare fun with the first hit from the enemy ship hitting my doors and the second the O2). I've learned that some stuff just kills you.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:11 pm

ben120 wrote:Thanks for the advice guys it does help.

Just to clarify the situation, they take out the O2 unit then go straight to the medbay, I'm there waiting for them to die but without level 2/3 healing they leave you with such little life left over that you cannot go and repair the O2 unit. Since then I've seen some stuff and done some things (first jump on easy game, solar flare fun with the first hit from the enemy ship hitting my doors and the second the O2). I've learned that some stuff just kills you.

If you did things sort of like I suggested there should have been O2 left in the O2 room. Even if there wasn't, two full hp humans can repair a unit in 0 O2 and even 3 Zoltans can tag team one to full and get out.

A sun with no O2 and doors is also fully survivable. Except maybe on a mantis ship if you can't jump back to your last safe location before your engines or pilot room go down.
BKT

Postby BKT » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:49 pm

If I guess it right, this is simply another case of "yet another victim of Kestrel_A" ... Just as plan! :twisted: