[Mod][Wip] Robotic Cruiser v0.4

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
alextfish

Re: [Mod][Wip] Robotic Cruiser v0.2

Postby alextfish » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:23 pm

Jonfon wrote:In an ideal world I'd have simply made the Holographic Generator act as a repair arm but because the name of an Augment determines how it works it was impossible to roll the two into one (I'd kill for a Type element in augments so you could create custom augments more easily).
That's not quite true. You can rename augments easily: my Starcraft mod renames all the augments. The augment's "name" does determine its function, but the "name" is never visible: the "title" is what's show. So you could change the repair arm's title to "Holographic Generator" and start the ship with it. (And if you care, reduce the rarity to 0 so it doesn't show up in shops.)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:15 pm

Jonfon wrote:
BrenTenkage wrote:Alright, glad you addressed some of the issues, so enjoy the lets play, because I certainl had fun playing with, "The ship of the damned" so how did you get it to repair itself?

I fudged it by starting with both the Repair arm and giving it the Nanite Repair bomb instead of the Thoron (ion & personal damage) bomb.

I do love watching the Cutter Drone in action on your playthrough, there's something very satisfying about watching him punch holes in their hull.

I noticed you lamented the lack of a Med Bay on the ship. The initial concept was that the Rimmers are basically red shirts which die a lot. Holograms wouldn't need a medbay, you just make more at the end of each sector but the bug you noticed kinda scuppers that. Mind you the holo generator isn't as needed after sector 1 so it could be considered a fair swap selling it to get medbay instead.

In an ideal world I'd have simply made the Holographic Generator act as a repair arm but because the name of an Augment determines how it works it was impossible to roll the two into one (I'd kill for a Type element in augments so you could create custom augments more easily).

The mod now features a new Beam weapon, the Cryonic Beam which inflicts minor system and major Personal damage. This was actually a test of a Lockdown beam concept, but it appears that the lockdown attribute is like the Breach one and won't work with Beam weapons. :cry: Because of this no ship starts with it but it should be in the shops. I've a few ideas there, involving a 3 shot laser burst weapon which does the same sort of thing.

Latest version is available from the link on the initial post (https://www.dropbox.com/s/qygftzo2jznwean/The%20Nexus.ftl).

Might lets play it later then ^_^
I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:42 pm

alextfish wrote:
Jonfon wrote:In an ideal world I'd have simply made the Holographic Generator act as a repair arm but because the name of an Augment determines how it works it was impossible to roll the two into one (I'd kill for a Type element in augments so you could create custom augments more easily).
That's not quite true. You can rename augments easily: my Starcraft mod renames all the augments. The augment's "name" does determine its function, but the "name" is never visible: the "title" is what's show. So you could change the repair arm's title to "Holographic Generator" and start the ship with it. (And if you care, reduce the rarity to 0 so it doesn't show up in shops.)

Ah, but I need the name to be unique as well since that's my test to fire off events which generate extra crew on Sector exit and the start of the game. So if I change the Name to REPAIR_ARM or whatever then all repair arms will trigger that event, sadly. I can't think of any way to create a renamed Repair Arm which will also be the only thing which can trigger those specific events for me.
Jonfon

Re: [Mod][Wip] Robotic Cruiser v0.4

Postby Jonfon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 am

As noted in my original post I've made a fairly large overhaul, adding new ship graphics for the nexus and new room layouts. The graphics are just spliced together from ingame models as my design skills aren't great.

I've also included a new Cryo Pulse style weapon which is a Lockdown + Personal Damage + minor system damage freeze laser with recoloured graphics for the weapon and bullets.

Feedback welcome as always.
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:36 am

BrenTenkage wrote:Might lets play it later then ^_^

BrenTenkage reports that the original link didn't work for him (sorry, I can't PM you back at the mo, I don't have Forum Permissions for PMs at the mo). It worked for me when I downloaded but here's a copy-pasta link of it as well just in case it's a weird Browser Caching issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xq13c7nqt2dfqqh/The%20Nexus2.ftl

Should be 330Kb in size or thereabouts.

I've tried this myself, first using the Mod Manager to remove all mods and confirming dull old Engi B was back and then applying the 330Kb download and getting the graphical version of the Nexus in.

It could also be a Mod clash issue I guess, I haven't tried this mod in conjunction with any others. If you want to PM me a copy of your FTL Faster Than Light\resources\data.dat-unpacked\data\blueprints.xml file I can also have a look to see if anything is overwriting the newer version of the mod (maybe an older version of the same mod is hanging about and overriding it it).
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Jonfon wrote:
alextfish wrote:

Ah, but I need the name to be unique as well since that's my test to fire off events which generate extra crew on Sector exit and the start of the game. So if I change the Name to REPAIR_ARM or whatever then all repair arms will trigger that event, sadly. I can't think of any way to create a renamed Repair Arm which will also be the only thing which can trigger those specific events for me.
That's why I said you could reduce the rarity to 0. Then there wouldn't be any other repair arms: "all repair arms" would only be the one that you start with.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:41 pm

alextfish wrote:
Jonfon wrote:Ah, but I need the name to be unique as well since that's my test to fire off events which generate extra crew on Sector exit and the start of the game. So if I change the Name to REPAIR_ARM or whatever then all repair arms will trigger that event, sadly. I can't think of any way to create a renamed Repair Arm which will also be the only thing which can trigger those specific events for me.
That's why I said you could reduce the rarity to 0. Then there wouldn't be any other repair arms: "all repair arms" would only be the one that you start with.

Good point. I'm a little wary of stripping Repair Arms from the stores but I might give it a whirl. I know I rarely buy them myself anyway
McMakadam

Postby McMakadam » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:53 am

This mod interfere with the "Disable fleet" mod (the fleet stills appear after a few jumps ).
It can be avoided by changing the load order of mods in GMM by setting the "disable fleet" mod after the "robotic cruiser" mod.
Jonfon

Postby Jonfon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:41 am

I'd guess that my Holographic event at the start of the initial sector overwrites the change the Disable Fleet is using.

I'll have a look and see if I can do something about it.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:14 pm

I like how you changed slug b, but couldn't you put it in a different mod? Too many people won' t hear about it, I feel.