MOD REQUEST: boarding ship

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
The Hawk

MOD REQUEST: boarding ship

Postby The Hawk » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:27 pm

I'Ve been looking at some mods recently, but i have yet not seen a ship that rellies on boarding. What i'd like someone to do, if he/she wants to, to create a ship, likely to be vanilla looking that has a four room teleporter room, with a crystal crewman at the start (and more, to be efficient in boarding), a four slot medbay and by four i mean 4 crewmember can go in at the same time (if possible, if not, then just regular 3), mantis pheromones (augment), at least a basic laser (to finish off ai ships) and a bomb weapon (for enemy medbays). weapons dont have to be op right away, but decent to get better ones later (such as breach bomb, my favorite weapon).

I'm not asking someone to do this EXACT thing, but something like it. If anyone has any idea to make this plausible ship better, feel free to say it.

I posted this in mod development, but if there's a place to put requests, may an admin (or someone who can move posts) move it to the right place.

EDIT: comed to think of this, the starting weapon that i asked arent to op, they require a total of 3 power while other vanilla ships needs 4 power for their weapons at the start. .':/
alextfish

Re: MOD REQUEST: boarding ship

Postby alextfish » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:06 am

There are a few mods like this. I know that three of the 18 ships in my Starcraft mod are boarding-focused, with 4- or 6-space teleporters and minimal or no weaponry. I'm sure I've seen some others, but I don't know their details as well as I know my mod.

The three boarding ships in my mod are based on the three Starcraft troop transport ships: the Medivac, Overlord and the Warp Prism.

The Warp Prism is probably closest to what you want: it has three Crystals (and a Zoltan). Weapon-wise it only has an ion weapon, which won't finish off AI ships (but will poke through Zoltan shields, which are another problem for weaponless boarding ships.

The Overlord has three Mantis and a Slug, and a 6-space teleporter. It has a Beam Drone for Zoltan shields and for finishing AI ships once you've taken out their shields (assuming you upgrade your teleporter to level 2). Unfortunately it has no shields, which makes it tricky to play, and only the Slug is any good at repairing.

The Medivac has Rock and Humans to board with, Medi-Bot Dispersal, and Pheromones (renamed Stim-Packs). It also has Healing Burst, but does have problems with AI ships and Zoltan shields. It also doesn't have any shields, but it does have the Hull Repair Drone and Engis so it can quickly recover after taking a lot of damage.
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:43 pm

Thanks for answering but i don't think I'll use your mod. The reason why is that starting with no shield; I can't. I've tried many times with shield less ships and is it completely impossible for me. Also, one of your ship has a 6 room teleporter. I don't think it helps more than it gives problem. If I have to beam my crew back, I won't be able to beam everyone back in a single shot.

Still, thanks a lot for answering.
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 pm

The Hawk wrote:EDIT: comed to think of this, the starting weapon that i asked arent to op, they require a total of 3 power while other vanilla ships needs 4 power for their weapons at the start. .':/

Other ships don't have amazing teleporters.
shark

Postby shark » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:13 am

I got a 6 man teleporter next to a 5man medbay on a crystal ship. they got boarding drones and no guns. and teleport goes to lvl5 i think. or 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez2II5HOH0I

EDIT:
I have to extend that to 6 now for some reason.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
The Hawk

Postby The Hawk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:47 pm

As I've mentioned before, I don't want any ship that doesn't have a 4 room teleporter (I case I wasn't clear). For instance: I beam 6 crew in an enemy ship but its weak and is about to blow to tiny bits by asteroid and usually, ships only have 2 places room and 4 places room, there are no vanilla ship that has a 6 places room. I hope you see my point here. Anyway, i'll try to create my own ship to suit my needs.

The thread is still open, though. Thanks to everyone for posting your ideas of suitable ships for boarding here!
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm

You can check out my ship, The Buffalo (Beta file currently available here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11083)

It doesn't have any shields, and currently only a 3 man teleporter and NO weapons, but I might alter the B variant to fit that request. Or I can make one to order for ya.
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
DryEagle

Postby DryEagle » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 am

If you can provide me with a good-looking graphic I will happily build a ship to your specifications ;)
All ships I have created include custom weapons, graphics etc:
ImageImageImageImage
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 am

DryEagle wrote:If you can provide me with a good-looking graphic I will happily build a ship to your specifications ;)

The motto of the FTL modding community: Ask and ye shall receive. unless it's hard coded, then you're SOL. hahaha
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 am

You run into minor problems vs AI ships without oxygen.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!