[MOD] DronesPlus 0.7.8

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
karmos

[MOD] DronesPlus 0.7.8

Postby karmos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am

Hello, travelers.

DronesPlus currently adds seven new drones to FTL, complete with their own images:

Beam II
Deals one damage per room like the Beam I drone with 25% longer beam and a higher firing rate. 4 Power.

Ion I
Shoots ion blasts. 2 Power.

Ion II
Shoots ion blasts faster. 4 Power.

Missile I
Shoots missiles. Pretty slow. 2 Power.

Missile II
Shoots missiles. Less slow. 4 Power.

Fire
A drone equipped with a beam that causes fires. 2 Power.

Crystal
Shoots shield-piercing crystal shards. Only obtainable in the Crystal Sector. 3 Power.

I hope this mod fits in seamlessly with vanilla FTL and suits your refined taste.

The drones are balanced but are still being adjusted as I continue to playtest. Further additions are on their way.

The mod may (i.e. will probably) conflict with other mods that add drones. It is likely that we modders have used the same blueprint and weapon names at least once.

All art assets have been modified from existing FTL images.

I know this isn't a first, that many of these drones are duplicated in mods elsewhere, but I started DronesPlus as a project for myself and have since grown too fond of it to abandon the effort to someone else. I like making pixel art too much. Cheers.

Download the .ftl https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/524 ... _0.7.8.ftl

CHANGELOG:
0.7.8Included tweaks made by Noobjuice. New drones now appear more frequently.
0.7.7 Beam II Drone no longer pierces shields, has faster attack speed, and wields a slightly longer-reaching beam. Now uses 4 power.
0.7.6 Lowered ion drone and missile drone attack speeds.
0.7.3 New fire beam drone, adjusted other drone graphics, tweaked some drone stats.

If you use Windows and the .ftl file is appearing as a .zip file, see below instructions from the helpful Jonfon.
Jonfon wrote:In a Window go to the folder where you have the mods. Can you see them ending in .ftl in the name? If not hold alt and press t to get the Tools menu. Choose Folder Options. In the pop-up window pick the View tab. Untick the "Hide extensions for known filetypes" checkbox and click Ok. You should then see the full filename in the name.

Now just right-click the Mod file and pick rename and change the .zip to .ftl and hit return. You might get a warning from Windows about changing extensions causing issues, but that's Ok.

Now the file should be a .ftl and usable in the GMM.
Last edited by karmos on Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:00 am, edited 6 times in total.
thashepherd

Re: [MOD] DronesPlus 0.6.1

Postby thashepherd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:00 pm

You can make sector-specific rarity lists!?

Thank you. Thank you so damn hard.
You are the weak, and I am the tyranny of evil men - but I'm trying, I'm trying real hard to be the shepherd.

"Wow, that Kieve guy is one angsty nerd eh."
Sonata - "Best use of Common Lisp in an indie space roguelike!"
karmos

Postby karmos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm

thashepherd wrote:You can make sector-specific rarity lists!?

Thank you. Thank you so damn hard.

The Crystal Sector rarity list in sectordata.xml is the only one in Vanilla, as far as I know. Wouldn't have noticed otherwise.
Last edited by karmos on Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebeler

Postby Rebeler » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:31 pm

This mod looks incredible, I can't wait to try it out :)
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:52 pm

Looks great! Thanks for the mod!
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:09 am

This looks awesome! I love how you actually linked .gifs in the thread so we could see the stages of firing.
I always saw the lack of drones as a disadvantage of using them, thanks for making more!
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
karmos

Re: [MOD] DronesPlus 0.7.3

Postby karmos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 am

Next up: unique drones for each race (and pirates, rebels, and the Federation). Some of these drones will have weapons not like vanilla weapons (e.g. the "hacking"- and "plasma"-type weapons found in multiple weapons mods) and will be contained in a separate package for those who want to preserve vanilla in its original state as much as possible.
Bubbacubba

Postby Bubbacubba » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:52 pm

karmos wrote:Next up: unique drones for each race (and pirates, rebels, and the Federation). Some of these drones will have weapons not like vanilla weapons (e.g. the "hacking"- and "plasma"-type weapons found in multiple weapons mods) and will be contained in a separate package for those who want to preserve vanilla in its original state as much as possible.

Hello, though I may not be a mod developer, I think drones are hardcoded into the game, but don't get me wrong, those are great ideas.
DCChuckles

Postby DCChuckles » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Hacking weapons? I haven't seen a mod with one :/ What do they do?
karmos

Postby karmos » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:27 pm

Bubbacubba wrote:
karmos wrote:Next up: unique drones for each race (and pirates, rebels, and the Federation). Some of these drones will have weapons not like vanilla weapons (e.g. the "hacking"- and "plasma"-type weapons found in multiple weapons mods) and will be contained in a separate package for those who want to preserve vanilla in its original state as much as possible.

Hello, though I may not be a mod developer, I think drones are hardcoded into the game, but don't get me wrong, those are great ideas.

They're as hardcoded as weapons are, which is to say, some. You can't add new behaviors or kinds of damage. "Hacking" would just be shield-piercing ion damage and "plasma" a combination of ion and normal damage, but a few visual tricks can give these new combinations the air of reality.