[MOD] Ghost Ships and New Items

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Morat48

[MOD] Ghost Ships and New Items

Postby Morat48 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:17 pm

This is a set of mods for FTL. They are designed to be modular, so you can use them separately or together. The pack consists of two large mods and two mini mods.

Ghost Stories - This mod creates two ghost ships, crewed by ghosts and equipped with unique weapons. One of these ships is a variant of the starting Kestral, and the other is an alternate version of Stealth A. Since ghosts do not require air, the ships lack oxygen systems. This mod also adds a few ghost-related events, as well as some blue text options for ghosts. The Federation cruiser type A exchanges its human crew member for a ghost, but retains its other normal crew and still has an oxygen system. The mod comes with an optional .ftl file to remove the big flashing "low oxygen" warning, which can be annoying on a ghost ship.

Equipment EX - This mod expands the selection of equipment, adding new drones and weapons, and allowing cloak and teleporter systems to be upgraded by one additional level. Rather than spoil the experience of discovering all the new items, I'll just say that the new equipment includes a variety of plasma weapons that deal damage and cause fires, a torpedo weapon that acts as a slow moving missile, and the deadly anti-bio terminator drone, among many others.

Sci-Fi Names - A list of names taken from a number of sci-fi sources, including Star Trek, Star Wars, Firefly, Red Dwarf and many others. The mod comes has two versions: One which will replace any existing names, and another to append to an existing list (allowing you to use these names along with the default list, or any other modded name list).

Manual Ship Unlocker - This is a useful utility mod for those who want to unlock certain ships without going through the unlock quests. With this installed, click on the tutorial, and you'll be given an option to immediately unlock a ship. This works for A type ships, achievements will still be needed to unlock B types. The tutorial can still be used normally while the mod is installed.

Download links:
Ghost Stories with Optional O2 Warning Remover
EquipmentEX
Sci-Fi Names (replacer) or Sci-Fi Names (appended)
Manual Ship Unlocker
As an alternative, the attached zip file includes all of the above mods in a handy compilation pack.

Updated 1/19/2013
Last edited by Morat48 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VanguardOfValor

Re: [MOD] Ghost Ships and New Items

Postby VanguardOfValor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:24 pm

How convenient! I was just looking for a way to show off the ghost race, and here you come with some ghost-specific ships! I'll take a look at a few of these mods when I get a chance and will probably feature them in a video or two! :D

I'm sure people will find your mods useful, and good luck with anything else you're working on!
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
BrenTenkage

Postby BrenTenkage » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

I make a lot of lets plays of FTL, I also use mods I find on this site http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 06hca_PXuX
I am also a modder as well, here is my mod hub viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32269
silversjunk

Postby silversjunk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey Morat48, so far I like your Equipment EX mod. I'm enjoying getting my ass handed to me by fire beam drones while I'm in the stealth ship :P

One typo I just noticed: you added an additional level to the Teleport machine, which I think is supposed to be a 5 second cooldown, but it reads 20 second cooldown.
karmos

Postby karmos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 am

Just curious: do the augments you've un-commented actually work? I can't find any code managing augments' behavior, so I assume it is all hardcoded, but I don't know for sure.
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:29 am

karmos wrote:Just curious: do the augments you've un-commented actually work? I can't find any code managing augments' behavior, so I assume it is all hardcoded, but I don't know for sure.

I haven't tried this mod yet but I can confirm that if the "Advanced Hull Armor" augment is among them, it is nonfunctional. I already attempted to use it for the Obsidian Cruiser and in all my testing it never once triggered.
Morat48

Postby Morat48 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:50 pm

BrenTenkage, thanks for posting that LP video. It was interesting to see how you handled the ship.

As for the teleporter's information, unfortunately I don't think there's any way to fix that. I haven't found any way to edit system info. The teleporter cooldown and cloak duration were already coded into the game that way.

I'm still trying to test the remaining augs. I suspect that none of the new ones function, but it was difficult to be sure in a few cases. The next update to the mod will probably remove them. Advanced Hull Armor will definitely be removed (thanks Kieve for letting me know about that).

Thanks for all the feedback. I hope everyone is enjoying the mods.
karmos

Postby karmos » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Kieve wrote:I haven't tried this mod yet but I can confirm that if the "Advanced Hull Armor" augment is among them, it is nonfunctional. I already attempted to use it for the Obsidian Cruiser and in all my testing it never once triggered.

That probably extends to the others as well, then. Bummer. Thanks for the tip.
Morat48

Postby Morat48 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:33 pm

I've just updated Equipment EX and Ghost Stories. A new drone and a couple of new weapons have been added to Equipment EX, including the System Demolisher Laser, which deals increased damage to enemy systems. The Ghost Stories mod has been updated with an additional quest event. Links are in the first post.

Also, I've attempted to improve balance by toning down a few items that seemed a bit too powerful in the previous release. Let me know if you have any suggestions for improvement.
Leon14000

Postby Leon14000 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:01 pm

So I'm not quite sure if it is the EquipmentEX mod or another one but some of my ships have different loadouts (the most obvious being the Anti-Bio beam on the Slug Cruiser). I was wondering if there was any way to revert without completely removing the mod because I really do like the extra stuff.