[MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
John Luke Pack Hard

Re: [MOD][WIP] FTL: Overdrive

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:49 am

This is the FTL:Overdrive "Notes" page, publicly editable:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JLL ... 0c5Qo/edit

If you want to leave a message or input, feel free to log in, leave a name, and all you wish to add below your name.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 pm

Kieve wrote:
John Luke Pack Hard wrote:Thomasfn wanted this mod geared towards open mod-ability. I would like to deconstruct the game down to its very variables to the point where modders who know enough code can customize almost anything, down to the races and the ship's systems. Once I have everything settled in my daily life, I'll begin drawing up a proposition.

What would you like to see implemented?

I know a little code - not enough to be useful rebuilding the game, mind, but enough to tweak minor things post-release probably.
The one major achievement would be an engine that isn't hardcoded down to its bones and will actually recognize additional races, put their core stats like HP, combat abilities, repair speed, etc. into the XML sheets to be easily tweaked. Same for augments, if slightly trickier. A hangar menu that'll register new ships (suggestion: anything "PLAYER_" prefixed), replacing the original 18 only if the ship names match. That way GMM's .append won't cause it to freak out if the game is reading two entries for a Kestrel.

I read earlier in the thread that Thomasfn was aiming for LUA script support - that, or any other scripting ability would be supremely useful for adding in new custom augments or weapon effects. DOT poison bombs, for instance (Mantis would be immune? Or bugspray - they take double damage! :twisted: ) *ahem* ... anyway, I'm not sure how you'd go about creating hooks for mod-scripts, but I'm more than willing to learn how to use 'em once they're in place. I would suggest the first priority mod-wise just be pushing core game stuff from engine to XML.
So glad to see this being worked on again... :D
I'm writing specs / requirements for the project at the moment, and this is a really useful set of suggestions. Any more "wishlist" lists like this? :)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Shrooblord

Postby Shrooblord » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:07 pm

I don't know if it's feasible, but maybe a quick plug-in capability of adding your own effects? For example, the solar flare makes your screen wash orange. Perhaps you could make an effect like it to make your screen wash white very quickly to simulate an explosion or a flash. Maybe you could add visual effects such as explosions, to reinforce storytelling in custom events?

These are things I'd be most interested in; being able to add animations and effects and probably also sounds and music. You don't have to add a custom sound importer or anything like that, of course, but if you could easily install new sounds that the game could pick up and use (as I would have told it in the event file that references that sound), that would be great.

Keep up the good work! This looks really promising.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Shrooblord wrote:I don't know if it's feasible, but maybe a quick plug-in capability of adding your own effects? For example, the solar flare makes your screen wash orange. Perhaps you could make an effect like it to make your screen wash white very quickly to simulate an explosion or a flash. Maybe you could add visual effects such as explosions, to reinforce storytelling in custom events?

These are things I'd be most interested in; being able to add animations and effects and probably also sounds and music. You don't have to add a custom sound importer or anything like that, of course, but if you could easily install new sounds that the game could pick up and use (as I would have told it in the event file that references that sound), that would be great.

Keep up the good work! This looks really promising.

Slap that on the notes and throw that in with the list. We'll decide on its feasibility once the rest of the logistics are done.
John Luke Pack Hard

Postby John Luke Pack Hard » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Gentlemen, the low-level scripting diagram (which will be known for now as "JLPH's Quintessential (& eventually-outdated) Modding Resource") is partway done with the "blueprints" data file documented.

When completed, this document will serve as the base comparison to future projected scripting models.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... GxmMDVBSFE

If any modders have understanding and spare time, you can glance over it and double check.

If you are a new modder who wants to dive in to the current system, feel free to use the doc as a reference.
Vhati

Postby Vhati » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:38 am

There's a thread in the "Tips, Strategy & Guides" forum that may help in replicating the engine's subtler features.

Thread: Did you know?
GreenZanbato

Postby GreenZanbato » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:00 pm

Vhati wrote:There's a thread in the "Tips, Strategy & Guides" forum that may help in replicating the engine's subtler features.

Thread: Did you know?

Be careful, I noticed some of the things there anren't actually correct.
NewAgeOfPower

Postby NewAgeOfPower » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 am

Bumping.
Requiem. The first in the Ascension trilogy. Current version: 0.6 BETA.

Get your Ascension Faction siggys here!
KuroSaru

Postby KuroSaru » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:56 pm

Just to show from a dev point of view that I'm not inactive. Due to wanting cross platform support. I've spent alot of time porting code from C# to Java. Before saying C# can use mono for cross platform support, your correct it can. but when it comes to Android and iOS things quickly get harder.

Thus I present the following image. Yes this is a current implementation of FTL on a Nexus 7 android device, at present all you can do is select a ship, the code base for Android / OSX / Win / Linux at this point is almost 100% the same, hence using JAVA.

Things to keep in mind.
1: Ships are loaded based on those found in the blueprints, not sure how to handle custom extras yet but will be discussed via IRC at some point, any ideas are welcome.
2: races are loaded from blueprints.xml so its possible to add new custom races.
3: There is no set release date.

[Tool] FTL-Dat ~ Win/OSX/Nix Supported.
Current WIP: FTL Engine - JAVA Implementation | FTL-Dat
shark

Postby shark » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 pm

I have been working with native android (and android apps) since Eclair. Throught Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwitch and Jerrybean finally ;)

feel free to mail me with android-y questions (i forsee OpenGLES giving you issues) concerning surfaceflinger, jni and porting required libs. or working with surface windows natively. or tips on the activity design itself.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.