Don't understand why some people don't like FTL's gameplay

General discussion about the game.
LeonLeon

Re: Don't understand why some people don't like FTL's gamepl

Postby LeonLeon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:57 am

boa13 wrote:And they both work as intended. Easy is easier than normal.

Even if it is easier, it does not necessarily mean that it is easy.The hull of my ship in easy mode was destroyed down to 10% on my first turn. On the second turn the game was over. "Easy mode work as intended". You are very funny, indeed.

Anyway, I've uninstalled the game. Posting here, just as a warning for people who may want to purchase FTL in order to play a relaxing and easy game. There is no such an option there. So save your money, time, and nerves, people!

Consider buying it only after they fix it. Lowering the difficulty or removing all together evidently mistaken, so called "easy" mode, which is a misleading name right now, should be a peanut for trained professionals.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:42 am

LeonLeon wrote:
boa13 wrote:And they both work as intended. Easy is easier than normal.

Even if it is easier, it does not necessarily mean that it is easy.The hull of my ship in easy mode was destroyed down to 10% on my first turn. On the second turn the game was over. "Easy mode work as intended". You are very funny, indeed.

Anyway, I've uninstalled the game. Posting here, just as a warning for people who may want to purchase FTL in order to play a relaxing and easy game. There is no such an option there. So save your money, time, and nerves, people!

Consider buying it only after they fix it. Lowering the difficulty or removing all together evidently mistaken, so called "easy" mode, which is a misleading name right now, should be a peanut for trained professionals.

Not being funny mate, but you must be really really bad at this.

I mean, I'm in no way good at games. I tend to get my rear end handed to me across all genres above what must be the standard rate.

And yeah, in FTL I have also lost several games in sector 1, through a combination of bad luck and poor tactics. But once you learn the basics there is no way its happening to you every go. Its a cracking little game this, which can be challenging at times but then again that is the idea behind games I guess.

Just dont get how you aren't capable of pressing a combination of 2-3 buttons, which is the essence of the first couple of sectors. Probably best not to blame everyone else if that is the case anyways, unless you're trolling, which of course is entirely possible too...
LeonLeon

Postby LeonLeon » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 am

Addicted wrote:Not being funny mate, but you must be really really bad at this...

Just dont get how you aren't capable of pressing a combination of 2-3 buttons, which is the essence of the first couple of sectors. Probably best not to blame everyone else if that is the case anyways, unless you're trolling, which of course is entirely possible too...

The "easy" mode is broken and its name misleading. I've given a specific example of that which you conveniently ignored. My skills or preferences have nothing to do with with the issue at hand. So, please spare me your straw man arguments and ad hominem suggestions that I am a troll. You have stopped to be funny but started to become rude.
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:41 pm

LeonLeon wrote:
Addicted wrote:Not being funny mate, but you must be really really bad at this...

The "easy" mode is broken and its name misleading. I've given a specific example of that which you conveniently ignored. My skills or preferences have nothing to do with with the issue at hand. So, please spare me your straw man arguments and ad hominem suggestions that I am a troll. You have stopped to be funny but started to become rude.

What specific example?? That you managed to get down to 10% on your first jump? How? Please upload a video or something. Even if it did happen once, did it happen the next time? Or are you too busy trying to troll this board to bother attempting to improve you're ability at the basic gameplay?
omegatotal

Postby omegatotal » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:54 pm

easy is not that much easier if you are not gifted with good luck.
Magood

Postby Magood » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Reasons why people don't like FTL's gameplay.
The scripting is such, that no matter how well you play, if you don't have ungodly amount of luck, you can't win.
Example. I could literally, write a thesis as to why people don't like this game, but I'll point out a few things that I notice on NORMAL mode.

#1. You get somewhere around 1/3 the scrap you would get, if you are not playing easy mode.
#2. Enemies spawn with Higher HP, tier II+ weapons from the start, and have 3 shields by the start of 4'th Sector.
#3 Coupled with reason #2, the store now charges much more for repairs than before. And since those cruisers you ran across had x2 5 burst lazers, you will be spending over 50% of your scrap on staying alive.
#4. Fuel becomes nearly impossible to find after Sector 6. So If you didn't stock up, you lost.
#5. The RNG element is so biased to failure, that I see more x3 shield, 15 health, dual rocket Auto pilot Scouts than I a random "you found ~blank~ giving you 1 missile and 22 scrap."
#6 Being Altruistic often rewards you by killing off one of your crew. Yay for punishing the good guys.
#7 In sector 7-8 in normal, the enemies all have F U L L Y upgraded shields, weapons, and 50% dodge rating. Good luck getting past that, even with a boarding party.
#8, Teleporting your boarding party onto a ship in sectors 5-8 results in losing them, as you get cascaded with missles and bombs, ensuring you that they cant be ported back. Or worse, are stuck on a F T L port away.
#9. Enemy ships have their weapons pre charged, ensuring that they get the first shot off, unless you have the augment, or a maxed Weapon's crew member.
#10, by Sector 6, every enemy npc you fight is maxed in fighting. I kid you not, I had 2 humans rush my ship, and start face tanking my 2 MAXED COMBAT rockmen. Only brought their 150 hp pool down faster than I could dps them.

Now before you start typing the fanboy mannerisms that I know I'll get. I'll say it up front, I love the game. I really do. But pretending that there is nothing wrong with the game, and saying "I Don't understand why some people don't like FTL's gameplay." Is just being a stubborn child who thinks that their enjoyment should take precedence over another's genuine grievances with the game's mechanics.

I guarantee that every single person reading this list has experienced a handful of these things on any given play through. Take it for what it is, constructive reasoning as to why people wouldn't like the gameplay. Its hyper RNG, its time consuming, and more to the point. If you lose, you get little more than a Antiquated score card and an option to quit or head back to the hanger.
I would prefer a giant middle finger myself, reminding me of the cheap mechanics that have soiled my good time by killing the crew i spent 4 hours working on. :roll:
BKT

Postby BKT » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:27 pm

In the case of an acute episode of FTL-related frustration, swearing loudly to the screen while playing the game is a scientifically proven procedure at relieving the symptoms. ;)
rannl

Postby rannl » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:02 pm

Seems like the discussion here is getting kinda heated. I'll throw in my 2 cents all the same :)

FTL is an original game. I've been playing pc/console/arcade games for the past 20 or so years, and with all due respect - I can tell when a game is fresh when I give it a go.

The random engine and permadeath make it extremely challenging compared to the vast majority of games the big companies produce these days. I personaly consider this a major plus, but can certainly understand why other players would be frustrated.

FTL has me going for about a month now. I started out around 20 games without victory (easy and normal), which got me curious about beating the game. So I started reading the forums and wikis and formulated a good strategy which helped me secure my first few wins. From there on it was smooth sailing, which means i have a success rate of around 20% of all played games. Again, this is a plus in my view, since I started getting a vibe about an FTL game right from the start - I can generaly tell when a game is going to be won.

I think anyone with a fair amount of patience can get the hang of FTL, which is probably the main issue here - I'm guessing some players don't want a long learning curve in order to start beating a game.
Depends on the game really - I personaly got bored vey quickly from Dwarf Fortress and let it go.

FTL just isn't a mainstream game in my view. A gem none the less :)

Keep on FTLing :twisted:
Neverpraying Mantis

Postby Neverpraying Mantis » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:46 pm

No save/load mechanic is key to making this game feel rewarding because my choices have real consequences.

If I make bad choices I can't just rewind time and try again, I have to carry on with my mistakes but also my exploits. That's why finishing the game actually feels much more rewarding than many games that do have a save mechanic.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we need more games without a save mechanic, some games like Super Meat Boy would be ridiculously hard without it, but for FTL it was the perfect choice.
mrguy888

Postby mrguy888 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Magood wrote:Reasons why people don't like FTL's gameplay.
The scripting is such, that no matter how well you play, if you don't have ungodly amount of luck, you can't win.
This is simply not true. Sure the game is pretty much impossible for the first handful of tries you definitely don't need a ton of luck to win. Some ships can be stomped right out of the gate when you have bad luck but most deaths are avoidable.

#1. You get somewhere around 1/3 the scrap you would get, if you are not playing easy mode.
#2. Enemies spawn with Higher HP, tier II+ weapons from the start, and have 3 shields by the start of 4'th Sector.
#3 Coupled with reason #2, the store now charges much more for repairs than before. And since those cruisers you ran across had x2 5 burst lazers, you will be spending over 50% of your scrap on staying alive.
I have never spent anywhere close to 50% of my scrap on normal. Perhaps you are not targeting their weapon systems or upgrading your defences enough.
#4. Fuel becomes nearly impossible to find after Sector 6. So If you didn't stock up, you lost.
The only time I have ever had fuel troubles was fairly early when the game doesn't feel like giving me much. Running out of fuel is not that huge of an issue anyway.
#5. The RNG element is so biased to failure, that I see more x3 shield, 15 health, dual rocket Auto pilot Scouts than I a random "you found ~blank~ giving you 1 missile and 22 scrap."
There are more enemies than points with free stuff. That is a good thing really.
#6 Being Altruistic often rewards you by killing off one of your crew. Yay for punishing the good guys.
If being altruistic is not working for you then change up your strategy. Do what you must to win, don't do what you want to do and complain it is not the best strategy.
#7 In sector 7-8 in normal, the enemies all have F U L L Y upgraded shields, weapons, and 50% dodge rating. Good luck getting past that, even with a boarding party.
None of those things affect a boarding party and are perfectly beatable with conventional weapons.
#8, Teleporting your boarding party onto a ship in sectors 5-8 results in losing them, as you get cascaded with missles and bombs, ensuring you that they cant be ported back. Or worse, are stuck on a F T L port away.
That is simply due to your lack of skill not due to the game's difficulty. Boarding is actually sort of OP.
#9. Enemy ships have their weapons pre charged, ensuring that they get the first shot off, unless you have the augment, or a maxed Weapon's crew member.
I have yet to see an enemy ship with pre-charged weapons. Perhaps you think you are pausing but really are not.
#10, by Sector 6, every enemy npc you fight is maxed in fighting. I kid you not, I had 2 humans rush my ship, and start face tanking my 2 MAXED COMBAT rockmen. Only brought their 150 hp pool down faster than I could dps them.
This story is simply not true.

How many times have yo played through the game and failed? It is a hard game and you won't start winning right off the bat but you should be noticing considerable improvement as you play. You are not spoon fed victory in this game but you can definitely earn it.