Achievement Tip: Bird of Prey

All your guides, strategy discussions, request for help on how to play go here. Please use [SPOILER] if relevant.
Mister Sammy

Achievement Tip: Bird of Prey

Postby Mister Sammy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:03 am

Getting this can be very frustrating: "WHAT DO YOU MEAN I HAVE TO STAY CLOAKED WHILE THEIR SHIP BLOWS UP!?" Sure, the obvious part is "upgrade cloaking to 3, and find an unshielded autoscout." But what you want to do here is exploit the achievement's requirements: Kill a full hp ship in one cloak.

This means, fire your dual laser and whatever other laser you might have come by first! THEN, before they hit, cloak: You haven't damaged them yet. You're still technically doing this in a single cloak. That way, only firing your minibeam will disrupt the cloak, buying you a little more time. The downside to this is, of course, that you might miss a few shots. But with a level 3 cloak that has only been disrupted by one shot, you have ample time to try again, hopefully killing it with another minibeam shot.
Dr_Zegobob

Re: Achievement Tip: Bird of Prey

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:15 pm

That sounds like an interesting idea, and I'm sure it will work well.

The way I did it, however, was by using the Stealth Weapons augment and fully upgrading cloak. Then I found an un-shielded Auto-Scout and then powered up my weapons, cloaked, then killed it.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
rannl

Postby rannl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:16 pm

The achievment is harder to to with the Nesasio.....

It's much easier to do with the DA-SR 12, provided you do not get hit in the weapons or cloaking room while the glaive is charging up.

Getting the other 2 acheivments for the Stealth ship is not an issue, as disscussed on many threads of the forum. Just unlock the stealth B and you'll do fine :)

Keep on FTLing :twisted:
Mister Sammy

Postby Mister Sammy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:11 pm

rannl wrote:The achievment is harder to to with the Nesasio.....

It's much easier to do with the DA-SR 12, provided you do not get hit in the weapons or cloaking room while the glaive is charging up.

Getting the other 2 acheivments for the Stealth ship is not an issue, as disscussed on many threads of the forum. Just unlock the stealth B and you'll do fine :)

Keep on FTLing :twisted:

I had some really bad luck with Tactical Approach. The game FORCED me to go through a hazard because it was the only way to the exit. THREE TIMES, if I remember correctly. >.o
afedyuki

Postby afedyuki » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:34 pm

Mister Sammy wrote:That way, only firing your minibeam will disrupt the cloak, buying you a little more time.

From my experience, beams don't disrupt your cloak when you use them. If you know that, this achievement is easy even with lvl 2 cloak.
Epicje

Postby Epicje » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:07 pm

Yeah, I did it with level 2 cloak.
Ofc, on an unshielded auto ship with only 5 health though, and your timing has to be precise, but it's doable.
GoldenShadowGS

Postby GoldenShadowGS » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Damage the ship, retreat, then go back and try again when it has lower HP. It works.
Jacke

Postby Jacke » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:31 am

I did this on the Nesasio on Easy in the later half. I was geared up with 3 Lasers (Burst 2, Twin, and either Heavy or Burst 1 I believe) as well as 2 Anti-Ship Drones with a full L3 Cloak and Stealth Weapons and Pre-Igniter Augments. When I found a small ship (I think 2 shield and not too much HP) I cloaked up, popped out the Drones and blasted down his shields and Shield room. Charged up and got a second shot off. Between my 2 volleys and the drones killed it before the cloak ended.