Reverse engineering and changing the game code

Discuss and distribute tools and methods for modding. Moderator - Grognak
Gnarmock

Reverse engineering and changing the game code

Postby Gnarmock » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:57 pm

Hey,

first off, I really enjoy this game and the fact that it's available for linux is a must buy!
There are few things which bugged me about the gameplay though. Nothing major just a few details.
So, what's the general opinion on reverse engineering and changing the clients code to add/mod content by injection and its releases( open source obviously )?
boa13

Re: Reverse engineering and changing the game code

Postby boa13 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 pm

Have you seen this re-implementation project?

FTL: Overdrive
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2866
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
shark

Postby shark » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:30 pm

Did you just say you want to buy the binaries so you could reverse-engineer the source-code to be released under GPL or something? :D
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:55 am

Gnarmock wrote:There are few things which bugged me about the gameplay though. Nothing major just a few details.
So, what's the general opinion on reverse engineering and changing the clients code to add/mod content by injection and its releases( open source obviously )?

I think the general opinion here is probably "it'd be great, but nobody knows how to do it".
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Gnarmock

Postby Gnarmock » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 pm

boa13 wrote:Have you seen this re-implementation project?

FTL: Overdrive
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2866

Yes, I've seen that topic, looks nice but it seems like an overkill for simple additions.

shark wrote:Did you just say you want to buy the binaries so you could reverse-engineer the source-code to be released under GPL or something? :D

Oh, no. That would be far too much work and overdrive would seem like a better way for this purpose.
Some small game mechanic fixes like how the airlock works, was what I was thinking about.
I was actually asking if it would be allowed to post hackish mods which would include reversed code or anything related to it, like crew structs/classes and so on. usually its a big red flag.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm

You need to ask the devs directly.
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
KuroSaru

Postby KuroSaru » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:55 pm

The only thing id like to see is a wiki. a place where the reversing efforts currently that are going on can be documented for others to make use of.

otherwise as for more advanced modifications. I'd argue that re-creating the game engine is likely the better option, but weather or not the c#/lua approach of overdrive is the best option is totally different discussion. but when all is said and done there is a few myself included who seam to be around with the required expertise to do the reverse engineering, documentation and programming that is currently required.

At the moment I'm playing with two implementations of Overdrive, one is the public c# implementation and other is a JAVA implementation I created, as cant say I'm a fan of c# mono for cross platform. although id say using LUA as the modding language/script is a good idea.
[Tool] FTL-Dat ~ Win/OSX/Nix Supported.
Current WIP: FTL Engine - JAVA Implementation | FTL-Dat
shark

Postby shark » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:21 pm

You have a java wrapper built? This sounds android-portable.
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All of our mods
are belong to you.
Gnarmock

Postby Gnarmock » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:48 pm

KuroSaru wrote:The only thing id like to see is a wiki. a place where the reversing efforts currently that are going on can be documented for others to make use of.

Totally agree on that. I documented now for few hours some structs and functions, actually basic game mechanic stuff can be already modded but there's still some stuff missing (Reverse engineered only the ship/doors/not fully room data/unit data).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2h9tk9pl6o

First attempt to add "flushing" to the airlocks, still some bugs here and there but it already does the job.
SaintOtis12

Postby SaintOtis12 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:14 am

are you using android-portable?
Geometry Dash Scratch