Various Valorous Virtual Ventures - FTL Videos

Share and discuss FTL-related videos here.
VanguardOfValor

Re: Various Valorous Virtual Ventures - FTL Videos

Postby VanguardOfValor » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:39 am

Woohoo! 18/18 ships have videos now!

The Kestral Type A has finally been linked in the first post! :D
Various Valorous Videos, should you be interested...
Bubbacubba

Postby Bubbacubba » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:46 am

Really love the videos and hope to see some cool mods in the short future (Pirates, I haven't tryed it yet, but it looks cool).
My dad said I should waste my time playing video games and watching firefly over and over again
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm

Very nice videos, I think I will start watching these some more when I get time.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 am

Having finished the full set of original ships, I've now begun some mod-based adventures! The first episode in DryEagle's Viper Cruiser is now in the first post! :D
Dr_Zegobob

Postby Dr_Zegobob » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

I watched the series with the Kestrel A yesterday and I have to say, these videos are absolutely amazing. These are very well done and better than any others that I have seen for this game.
My ships:
Kestrel A, Engi A, Engi B, Stealth A, Stealth B, Zoltan A, Zoltan B, Rock A, Federation A, Federation B, Mantis A, Mantis B.
Ships listed in green are ones that I have scored a victory with.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:33 am

Let the vengeance commence! A new run has started and been linked in the first post, onboard Kieve's powerhouse Obsidian Cruiser! Time to black hole some unsuspecting rebels... >:D

Dr_Zegobob wrote:I watched the series with the Kestrel A yesterday and I have to say, these videos are absolutely amazing. These are very well done and better than any others that I have seen for this game.

I'm glad you think so! I try to make the videos as informative and entertaining as possible, so it's always nice to hear from people who enjoy them!

Edit: Wow, apparently there was a lot of demand for an Obsidian Cruiser episode... 1900 views in about 12 hours is insane! :D
Kieve

Postby Kieve » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:25 am

VanguardOfValor wrote:Let the vengeance commence! A new run has started and been linked in the first post, onboard Kieve's powerhouse Obsidian Cruiser! Time to black hole some unsuspecting rebels... >:D

Edit: Wow, apparently there was a lot of demand for an Obsidian Cruiser episode... 1900 views in about 12 hours is insane! :D

That was fun to watch! It's fascinating to see what other strategies people use given the same tools. Personally I aim for the O2 with the first or second Singularity - breach sucks the air right out and makes it almost impossible to repair. Any breached rooms after that are SOL. :twisted:

I really laughed when you bought the teleporter, you were so excited. "Like a kid on Christmas" I believe is the analogy? And watching those idiot boarders run into the vented room... oh man, nearly cracked a rib that was hysterical. I have never seen them do that before. Looking forward to the rest of the run!

PS: It's pronounced "Key-vh," not "Kai-ev" ;)
Vindaloo

Postby Vindaloo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:25 pm

I just watched your run with the Adjudicator (Zoltan ship A), where you got the Manpower achievement and unlocked the B configuration. Excellent video, and I love the commentary. Great job and thanks for sharing!

I did notice one thing that I do that you don't: use the power from the O2 generator. Many times in the early stages when you were struggling with power you could have used that extra point to either boost your evade by 5% or raise shields to lvl 2 (in one fight in particular it would have saved you several points of damage). What I like to do is use that power as an extra floating point of power, and if O2 ever drops below 80% I put the point back.
VanguardOfValor

Postby VanguardOfValor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Ever thought FTL really needed another race? Do you hate suffocating? Both problems are now solved, in the newly added playthrough using the Ghost Stories mod which has been added to the first post!

Kieve wrote:I really laughed when you bought the teleporter, you were so excited. "Like a kid on Christmas" I believe is the analogy?

I couldn't help it! The ship was powerful already, so I really wasn't expecting a 4-person teleporter. :P

Vindaloo wrote:I did notice one thing that I do that you don't: use the power from the O2 generator. Many times in the early stages when you were struggling with power you could have used that extra point to either boost your evade by 5% or raise shields to lvl 2 (in one fight in particular it would have saved you several points of damage). What I like to do is use that power as an extra floating point of power, and if O2 ever drops below 80% I put the point back.

Absolutely. I do use the oxygen power for other purposes from time to time, but given that it can be catastrophic if you forget to put the power back and that I have a fairly short memory for some things I try to avoid it as much as possible.
Vindaloo

Postby Vindaloo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:42 pm

VanguardOfValor wrote:Absolutely. I do use the oxygen power for other purposes from time to time, but given that it can be catastrophic if you forget to put the power back and that I have a fairly short memory for some things I try to avoid it as much as possible.

*nods*
Yep, I have suffocated my crew once (or twice? bah, who's counting!) by having the O2 turned off for too long and the fight taking a turn for the worse (like the O2 and door rooms on fire).

After seeing you get the Manpower achievement I went ahead and tried it and got it on the first try! That Zoltan B cruiser is a very nice ship!