[MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
velz

Re: [MOD] Starcraft Conversion v0.5: 18 new ships!

Postby velz » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:36 am

So i am using the cruiser and the doors system is in a room right next to the outside of the ship. So the system is down and I opened the doors to vent fire and didnt close them in time before the system went down. The door in the door system room is now open to space, and I guess I can't get in there to fix it without being jettisoned. Sigh. Any tips here?
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:10 am

velz wrote:So i am using the cruiser and the doors system is in a room right next to the outside of the ship. So the system is down and I opened the doors to vent fire and didnt close them in time before the system went down. The door in the door system room is now open to space, and I guess I can't get in there to fix it without being jettisoned. Sigh. Any tips here?

Well, if you send two crewmembers in instead of one (provided they're not mantis) they can fix it before they suffocate. A real mindblow, I know. :P
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
http://www.youtube.com/user/GingerDragon87?feature=mhee
Flarestorm

Postby Flarestorm » Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 pm

I have tried to use the profile editor with your mod here but each time I try to, the profile editor will say "Error parsing FTL data files". I hope you can help.
karlmork

Postby karlmork » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:03 pm

Downloaded your mod today. Tested the Battlecruiser, how do you access the yamato compartment for repairs? Thanks for all the hard work, it is impressive.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:35 pm

karlmork wrote:Downloaded your mod today. Tested the Battlecruiser, how do you access the yamato compartment for repairs? Thanks for all the hard work, it is impressive.
Hmm. That's a bit of a bug. I somewhat can't believe I didn't notice that, in fact. I've fixed it now, so you can redownload SC2Ships.ftl from the same place as always for future Battlecruiser games. Thanks!

Keep the playtest reports and bug reports coming :)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:03 am

I figured I'd let you know that I did a playthrough with the Protoss Carrier on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADAcWrraxf0

Definately one of the most fun FTL runs I've had in a while and I feel that I demonstrated just about everything about the ship... right down to abusing the room layout so that I could survive a 5 mantis boarding party. xD
More important though, I talk about the custom UI in the beginning of the video. Figured you'd want a bit of input about that as well.
Check out my youtube channel. I do FTL mod playthroughs, as well as all kinds of other assorted games.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:45 am

Thanks very much for the video review, Dragon! You have a very amusing narration style :)

Thanks for the thoughts on the UI. I agree it doesn't really work as it currently is. I'll give your suggestion some thought.

The fully powered-up Carrier is quite something to see. Quite amusing how one of the Interceptors was in fact an Auto-Turret, which is entirely identical except in name. The way that you ended up with all the Raven's equipment was hilarious.
I love the way that ships do indeed all end up a hybrid of Terran, Protoss and Zerg technology :)
The fight vs 5 mantis with all Zoltan and Engi (I mean High Templar and SCVs) was awesome as well.

I had my heart in my mouth each time you teleported guys onto that ship that was about to teleport out. You should get the latest FTL update - it had a very handy "ENEMY FTL CHARGING" sign to remind you that it's really not safe to teleport on right now.

I'm looking forward immensely to seeing what you did with the Overlord :)
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:14 am

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it! I got the FTL update working (it surprised me to see how easily it was to do) So hopefully there won't be anymore Ship jumping tragedies :lol: . Also, the Overlord and Broodlord runs are.... well I am terrible with the Zerg ships and I'll leave it at that. The Wraith and Battlecruiser runs are pretty good though I feel.
alextfish

Postby alextfish » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Hahahaha. I just watched your Overlord playthroughs. Wow, that's pretty painful to see. The Zerg ships are usable, they just need a lot of luck and skill to come together.

Maybe I should move the Overlord's oxygen system, because it does seem to take a disproportionate amount of hits from enemy beam shots! I imagine it'd be safer off at one corner of the ship.

I'd love to give Zerg some way to heal more effectively through the course of the game... Maybe I can add an event at every start beacon that gives a Zerg ship +5 hull points?

Aha! I know. One of the problems with having a bunch of Mantis is that they're sooo slooow to repair things, and having no shields means you need a lot of repairs. You commented in your Carrier playthrough that you didn't like the name I'd given the System Repair drone of "Onboard MULE", though you didn't know what else to call it.

I think I'll reflavour it as Zerg Internal Healing (Glial Reconstitution? Reconstitution Gland?), take the power req down to 1, and give it to all Zerg ships along with +1 power. That way you can get systems back online in the middle of a fight more effectively.
Ginger Dragon

Postby Ginger Dragon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:34 am

I'm pretty sure that enemy weapons just target rooms at entirely at random, so I don't think moving the oxygen room would do much, I'm just unlucky/lucky depending on how you look at it.

Also, I love the idea of the Reconstitution Gland!

Refilling 5 health per at the beginning of the sector could be a good idea, but I'm not sure how you could limit it to only Zerg ships. Maybe you could add a ship specific event at the beginning of the sector? But that would allow for the Warp Prism to do it as well, and could be quite time consuming I think.I feel that giving them Rock Plating (Chitinous Plating) instead of regenerative carapace might be a better idea, especially since now they'll have the Repair Drone to help fix hull breaches as well.